Goodyear or Michelin

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
What's everyones opinion on
michelin pilot sport 4 vs goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5 tyres?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817_230028_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817_230028_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 460
  • Screenshot_20190817_225909_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20190817_225909_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 691

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Not a direct comparison tyre wise.

The GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5’s are the equivalent of the PS4 as per your text, not the PS4S as per your picture.

They’re both very good tyres (PS4 and Asymmetric 5’s) and you wouldn’t be disappointed with either if your going from something like a Nankang Ditch Finder.

However the Michelin’s are also known to do more miles.

But if your talking Cupra, especially FWD, then you want the next tyre up:

The GY equivalent of the PS4S is the GY Eagle F1 Super Sport. It’s supposed to be almost as good in the dry, better in wet handling. So again both tyres you wouldn’t be disappointed with.

But the one unknown about the Super Sport is how long it will last. If you go off the tread wear indicators they have to publish:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport - 240
Continental Sport Contact 6 - 240
Michelin PS4S - 300

And the Contis are known for not lasting very long (E.g. 10k vs 18k). However that is just a scientific manufactures number, so isn’t always as accurate as you’d think.

So for me it’s paying the extra for the Michelin’s and then lasting longer.

Reactions: Tricepz and Maypack

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
I think Goodyear brand the eagle F1 5's as supersport now I hear

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190818_104737_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20190818_104737_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 313

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Both are good tyres, you would be happy with either on your car I’m sure.

This video (and channel) may be of interest to you:

As Damo H said, comparing Michelins to Goodyears requires a little knowledge to understand which tyres are direct competitors, and which level you are after.

Comfort biased high performance tyres:
Michelin PS4 vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
More focussed road tyres: Michelin PS4S vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ghostbustertab

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
It's a mind field tbh everyone says Michelin PS4s are the best but looking at videos there isn't much between them.

Stephenator280

Nov 5, 2017
One thing to note, last time I checked (about 6months who so things may have moved on since) the PS4 was not available on sizes greater than 18inch, the opposite is the case for the PS4S I.e. the smallest tyre size was 19inch. That is why a lot of newish cars, which would ordinarily fit the top end Michelin’s on cars with 18inch wheels or smaller would fit the super sports, MPSS (m140i for example). MPSS still considered the best UHP Michelin’s for that size. Anything larger than 19inch May well be shod in ps4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

It's a mind field tbh everyone says Michelin PS4s are the best but looking at videos there isn't much between them.

Just like people do about should they buy a Golf or Audi or Cupra or or or or.

You need to work out what you want from the tyre (handling, noise, longevity, cost etc) and then make a choice.
A lot of us on here with Cupra have gone with the PS4S and i have not yet heard complaints about them (apart from price).

I have also had the PS4 but it sounds like they don't make them for 19" any more.

As @paddy6789 commented on another thread you were on he is currently testing out the equiv Goodyear and will feedback on longevity in due time.

You also need to consider the impact of the stage 1 upgrade that you are thinking off

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Both are good tyres, you would be happy with either on your car I’m sure.

This video (and channel) may be of interest to you:

As Damo H said, comparing Michelins to Goodyears requires a little knowledge to understand which tyres are direct competitors, and which level you are after.

Comfort biased high performance tyres:
Michelin PS4 vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
More focussed road tyres: Michelin PS4S vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport

Hope this helps.

Just realised the pictures you posted were from tyrereviews.co.uk, so you’d probably seen the videos...
Anyway, I’d just go with whichever tyre you can get a better deal on. They’re the best two on the market. I have the Goodyears and think they’re amazing wet or dry, and the best thing is how quiet and forgiving they are considering the 235/35 R19 size I run in the summer.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Michelin seem to have the knack of making great tyres that last a bit longer than others. It's the same for bike tyres, but Metzler are even better.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Not a direct comparison tyre wise.

The GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5’s are the equivalent of the PS4 as per your text, not the PS4S as per your picture.

They’re both very good tyres (PS4 and Asymmetric 5’s) and you wouldn’t be disappointed with either if your going from something like a Nankang Ditch Finder.

However the Michelin’s are also known to do more miles.

But if your talking Cupra, especially FWD, then you want the next tyre up:

The GY equivalent of the PS4S is the GY Eagle F1 Super Sport. It’s supposed to be almost as good in the dry, better in wet handling. So again both tyres you wouldn’t be disappointed with.

But the one unknown about the Super Sport is how long it will last. If you go off the tread wear indicators they have to publish:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport - 240
Continental Sport Contact 6 - 240
Michelin PS4S - 300

And the Contis are known for not lasting very long (E.g. 10k vs 18k). However that is just a scientific manufactures number, so isn’t always as accurate as you’d think.

So for me it’s paying the extra for the Michelin’s and then lasting longer.
i find that with the Conti 5 SPs that cam estanrd. im at 6500miles and i reckon another 2-3k and its time for a change!! shocking. i got 19k from Potenzas in my FR184 Leon

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Winter, ah! My daughter seems to be taking onboard my comments about that subject and so her BF will be looking out for some suitably sized 18" black 5 spoke alloys and either Conti TS860 or Goodyear winter tyres, as Michelin only offer CrossClimate+ in the size that is needed, ie 225/40 R18 92V or Y as that is a homologated size for 5F platform.

What winter wheels are those that run winter wheels and tyres buying/bought for the Cupra?

Edit:- for summer replacements when the time comes, I'll be suggesting Michelin, same for my wife's Polo, I just stick with 19" P Zero Rossos AO for my S4 as that was what it had from new and it does not run huge mileages. Its winter 18" tyres are Michelin Pilot Alpins.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
i find that with the Conti 5 SPs that cam estanrd. im at 6500miles and i reckon another 2-3k and its time for a change!! shocking. i got 19k from Potenzas in my FR184 Leon

Maybe Seat knows that true Cupra owners were going to put on their own rubber anyway, so they put on the fastest wearing ones...how is the grip otherwise? Worthy of a premium make?

However I think if a Cupra, you should be able to customise at the order stage
Eg...under tyres,
'factory fitted (variable make)'
'upgrade to Michelin PS range' + (extra cost of £ (market rate))
'upgrade to GY AS Range' + (extra cost of £ (market rate))
'upgrade to Pirelli PZero range + (extra cost of £(market rate))
'fit your own tyres' (car will arrive on space savers, rims separate, mail your new tyres to the collecting Cupra dealer they will fit them)

The last option will be so cool!

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Maybe Seat knows that true Cupra owners were going to put on their own rubber anyway, so they put on the fastest wearing ones...how is the grip otherwise? Worthy of a premium make?

Eg...under tyres,
'fit your own tyres' (car will arrive on space savers, rims separate, mail your new tyres to the collecting Cupra dealer they will fit them)

Grip is ok but even in the dry it still spins up in 2nd gear.

Deleted member 103408

Eg...under tyres,

We did raise this with the Cupra Management team when they came over https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....houghts-and-comments-by-this-thursday.454376/, granted not the Fit your own but certainly the point of give me decent rubber first time please.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise