got pulled over AGAIN! Cornering Foglights!

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
Pfft dunno. They shouldnt of done that...but obviously im sure they have their reasons. Im not sure if it was to do with something about the BOCANEGRA thing he did on his car and trying to sell the others.

Rory101

Oct 11, 2005
i have seen audis mercs ranger rovers and bmw's with the cornering foglight all the time
bet the police never stop them
i cant complain i havnt been stopped for it
but i can understand the frustration

I have a Merc and yes the Police do stop Merc drivers for cornering lights! Many owners turn the feature off - it's useless on Mercs anyway, it provides no additional light to side than the (very good) headlamps.

Mine also lights up the fogs when I unlock the car in the dark or under a filling station canopy etc and I've had several comments about that from people too.

Last edited:

HAIRWEGO

NICK...
Jan 18, 2010
Poole, Dorset.
Pfft dunno. They shouldnt of done that...but obviously im sure they have their reasons. Im not sure if it was to do with something about the BOCANEGRA thing he did on his car and trying to sell the others.
bloody stupid, sorry he was a very valuable member to this forum site. if that was the case, should of got a warning !!!!!!!!!

The poloman

Aug 2, 2010
Carlisle
I got pulled the other night for mine. The traffic cop didn't know what cornering lights were. After demonstrating how they work he said to me 'well your fog lights were still on' and went away. What a tool. :)

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Jas didn't get the spoiler while away I dont think.

I'm sure he'll fill you in on his travels soon enough.

I just think when people see one fog light on, on a new car they will question the quality as they probably think its blown.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
I noticed this on a golf for the first time. I think the problem lies with the timing. The mercs turn off (quite nicely, slowly dim to an off) a lot sooner than the vw/seat ones.
The fog light on the vw behind me, seemed to stay on for a good 10 seconds longer than the merc. Plus it just switched off unlike the slow dim on the merc.

andycupra

status subject to change
IMO its an annoying feature.

Lets face it, how often is fog thick enough for front fogs to be useful. - honestly.. come on now do you know how thick fog needs to be for front fogs to offer much help?
Many many cars dont have front fogs fitted..

So with this in mind, and many of you seeming to like this feature, why are these lights designed to be more like headlights in terms of beam patern rather than giving a fog light type beam...

Or is it that as headlights seem to be moving upwards further from the front of the car that they can no longer offer a beam pattern that lights up the ground near to the front and sides of the car whcn compared to lights that in days gone by have been stuck on the front of cars?
Or added to this that its becoming more common for headlights to have a clean cut off to the beam pattern and more focused so dont illuminate sideways very well?

Last edited:

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
I really couldnt care about them. Its only people on the outside of the car who wonder whats wrong with it. i dont see them apart from reflections. i like them.

TTX

1.2TSI SE 5DR in Tribu
Jul 20, 2010
I'm quite looking forward to the cornering fogs, there are a good few unlit sections of narrow twisty country road on my daily commute! :)