Got the dreaded Owl/Siren sound on TDI turbo! :(

kingbee

Apr 25, 2011
Hi there,

'Got a 110 TDI with average miles 3 months ago, had it remapped (CC Stage 1) and all's gone well; good progressive power. 'Have only done 1200 miles or so.

However, last week I noticed a reduction in power (110 TDI), e.g. could hardly get the traction lights to come on, despite 'encouraging' it in 2nd gear, which was easily possible before.

So I started thinking something was wrong & was losing torque/power.

Then a couple of days ago, the dreaded owl/siren noise started from the engine bay. It's the typical 1000-2000 RPM up and down pitched sound when you change through the gears around town.

It's loud enough for pedestrians to hear & definately not the normal turbo whistle, this is more line a whine.

Having parked up in a quiet area with the bonnet and driver's door open, pressed the accelerator and heard the turbo whine, then as it dies down there's a short high pitched noise, like metal scraping on metal for a second.

At first I was hoping it was a leaky boost pipe, but with the small noise at the end when the turbo winds down, leads me to think it's more likely the turbo thrust bearing which has gone.

I've read into it on the forums, and know not to cane it now, stay around 1500 RPM and if the turbo pops and a cloud of white smoke comes from the exhaust, to switch it off and get it recovered. (plus also read about engine run-on, which could happen when the turbo fails, meaning 5th gear and a stall to stop it!).

However, I don't want to wait until the turbo pops, which I've read is a lottery and could happen anytime between 1 and 10,000+ miles, and driving at 1500 RPM is no fun anyway!

So what I'd like to know is if the symptoms described above are more than likely the turbo on its way out, or could it be something else?

Many thanks and all the best

obou

Leon pd150
I had this noise n my pd150 and done 2k+ on it and today i forgot to be good floored it taking it to redline then poooooof lots and lotts of smoke so turbo is DEAD get it sorted. Also check oil levels if you need to drive as iv lost all mine

kingbee

Apr 25, 2011
Ooops obou!! I bet you were kicking yourself for that...or you will be after I tell you this -

After reading around various VAG forums, I've found that after the turbo goes pop the first time, it can cause problems with the replacement, and those replacements after that.

One guy was on his 4th turbo, another on his 3rd, due to debris from the original blown turbo still in the internals, and causing the new turbos to fail.

If you have a warranty, get ready to use it a few times, if not I'd worry if I were you, as it's probably gonna come back and haunt you :(

I'll also check the oil, as that's something I've been meaning to do, but no oil warning light has come on and it's only been a few days of owl noise. Cheers

kingbee

Apr 25, 2011
As I thought, it's the turbo thrust bearing that's gone - I had someone check it out.

Something tells me this ain't gonna be cheap, lol

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
mines just gone :(

remapped 150pd, got the whining noise yesterday then on my way home from work today lost all boost (not getting ANY) and whines like mad, although i have noticed that my oil levels are ok...

...getting it looked at in an hour or two

twitterers

Jul 16, 2011
mines just gone :(

remapped 150pd, got the whining noise yesterday then on my way home from work today lost all boost (not getting ANY) and whines like mad, although i have noticed that my oil levels are ok...

...getting it looked at in an hour or two

what did the garage say about your turbo?

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Another tdi 150 with a dead turbo :( After a run to Sheffield and back (about 80 miles round) on the motorway, got home, parked up, all fine. Starts up 2 hours later to nip down the shops and have the really loud police siren sound from under the bonnet, no boost, car won't pull to much more than about 2k rpm. No smoke out back, Vag-Com says 0 faults found so I guess it's mechanical. Going to take a look at pipework and cold side today but my gut tells me its the turbo. Car is remapped but to be honest I haven't been thrashing it about at all, ran for 6 months this year unchipped to save fuel and trundling about whilst chipped to see if any better. 46-47mpg average both times (maybe slightly better on chipped) so figured I'd leave it with chip and drive like a granny (skint this month, got all sorts of bills coming up for wife's car too :( )

Then this! Car was absolutely fine, no faults, drove same as normal, parked it up, started again after a couple of hours and its making a racket with no boost.

Been doing searches for replacement turbo, price obviously an issue! Any pointers in the right direction?

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
what did the garage say about your turbo?

it's shafted! A bit baffled as to how it went so quickly though.

New turbo now fitted. £550 from Turbo Dynamics for a brand new unit, and can't recommend them highly enough. Excellent service. You actually pay £650, but they refund you £100 when you send them your knackered turbo in exchange.

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Took about 3 hours to get the turbo off, give or take stops for tea, retrieving dropped stuff, looking for tools in the back of the garage... If you're gonna do it, print off the how to first (oops) at http://www.tdiinnovations.com/k45/Turbo Removal Guide 2.2.08.pdf and get yourself a magnet on a stick to pick up stuff that's dropped. Also ordered a braided oil feed off the 'bay cause, sure enough, the oil feed pipe crimped and twisted (I ordered it before the pipe was even touched because I knew what would happen). Besides that, wd40 on manifold nuts whilst you go for a cuppa works. Nothing too drastic, skinned knuckles but that's normal. If you have hands like a five year old you could probably get it down to half an hour :p

Play in the cold side shaft suggests it's fooked but taking it to AR Turbo in Batley for a look seeing as they are local. Other options that sound well recommended include Midland Turbo centre from what I can gather. I'll wait and see what this place says and go from there. I'm hoping repaired for reasonable cost (no other physical damage to vanes) or replacement. Considered a hybrid and making it faster, but to be honest that's one cost after another (Injectors, clutch, remap, sundries) and I can't be arsed. If I want to go fast I get out on the bike to embarrass supercars. This thing needs to be reliable more than anything.

Any way of testing the EGR? It's well gunged inside the throttle body so all the stuff will be cleaned before going back on.

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Just an update - my turbo had a bent shaft, four impellors had chopped into the housing and turned it into scrap, essentially. Going for an oem turbo, seems a bit steep price wise - £750 incl all gaskets - but need it back on the road ASAP. Gonna keep it unchipped from now on.

Well, I'll try.

The standard car is ok but not exactly 'quick'... Gotta balance that with having to shell out for a turbo every 70k...

Apr 12, 2010
my pd 130 one went from quiet to siren the other week, zero warning and still made good boost i didnt however drive it any further than the 25yrds back home. Now rocking a turbo dynamics md376 which is so much better its unreal even before ive had it remapped again (currently awesome gti stage 1)

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
Just an update - my turbo had a bent shaft, four impellors had chopped into the housing and turned it into scrap, essentially. Going for an oem turbo, seems a bit steep price wise - £750 incl all gaskets - but need it back on the road ASAP. Gonna keep it unchipped from now on.

Well, I'll try.

The standard car is ok but not exactly 'quick'... Gotta balance that with having to shell out for a turbo every 70k...

as said in my earlier post mate, Turbo Dynamics do brand new units for £550, and they source them straight from Garrett (including all gaskets).

Nov 15, 2011
i can get an oem one for £520 from seat, might need one for mine but if i do ill be putting a k03s on it.

Super-reed

Sorry to drag upon old thread! But I think I've got the same whining noise but without the after noises the thread owner experienced. If its just the whine is it the pipes or deifnately the turbo? I hope the pipes because I've only just bought the car :-s

jamescupra1

May 27, 2012
I removed my turbo which was making the siren noise, it's only got a slight bit more play than the usual so I'm guessing mine is just bearing damage, never removed a turbo before and it only took 2 hrs and was quite strait forward. I'm goin to strip and attempt to repair my turbo I mite record the whole process and post it for everyone else to use I'm just waiting on bearings and seals

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
Ooops obou!! I bet you were kicking yourself for that...or you will be after I tell you this -

After reading around various VAG forums, I've found that after the turbo goes pop the first time, it can cause problems with the replacement, and those replacements after that.

One guy was on his 4th turbo, another on his 3rd, due to debris from the original blown turbo still in the internals, and causing the new turbos to fail.

If you have a warranty, get ready to use it a few times, if not I'd worry if I were you, as it's probably gonna come back and haunt you :(

I'll also check the oil, as that's something I've been meaning to do, but no oil warning light has come on and it's only been a few days of owl noise. Cheers

sorry to bring an old thread up, but where does the debris come from? as ive just had a new turbo, i think fail, which has taken the engine with it.

jamescupra1

May 27, 2012
Main cause is poor fitted boost pipes and it can be a old filter wich is letting crap off the road to be sucked strait into the turbo impellers there's so many causes. Ur bearing can go and you can get a side impact of impeller throwing around metal filings into the cylinder head eating itself to death

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
My cousins 2ltr tdi 140 bhp touran has been making that sound for at least the last three years and 20 odd thousand miles without an apparent loss of boost or power but does use a dung load of oil. I hate borrowing it in case it goes ping. The timing belt needs done badly too.

My ahu engined cordoba does have a bit of side to side and lateral movement in the kkk turbo with no signs of contact having been made with the housing by the fins. It still has a sweet whistle heard through the straight through pipe. The seals must be gone as there is a puff of blue out throught the exhaust on start up.

Maybe your turbo is not too far gone that you couldn't get a refurbishment kit for the bearings and seals to repair it.

My mates turbo failed on his tuned alh and he tried to stall it with fifth gear and it stripped the teeth clean off the cogs and ran the engine to over 8000 rpm and destroyed it. He found out the revs by examining the engine and finding that one of the valve train components(cannot remember which one) is shared with the 2 ltr 8valve engine from the mk3 golf and that they have a designed rev limit of 8000 rpm and after this they fall to pieces and his valve components had fallen to pieces.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.