Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

good progress its so easy to panic in situations where theres fire but when you slow down a little it all becomes quite clear and easy to deal with,you should purchase a powder exstinguisher just to be a bit safer with all the welding and cutting your doing near your car and home.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
This thread is truely epic... I can only wish i had the skills to do everything yourve done.. One day i will read this all the way through!... Keep it up mate..

Cheers Mike, thanks for the kind words :) and get reading it's mostly pictures ;)

good progress its so easy to panic in situations where theres fire but when you slow down a little it all becomes quite clear and easy to deal with,you should purchase a powder exstinguisher just to be a bit safer with all the welding and cutting your doing near your car and home.

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting a fire extinguisher, probably a good idea the amount of metal work i do in the garage.

So spent a couple of hours messing about with the bodywork today.
I sanded the join down on the front bumper after sticking it together the other day with the fancy adhesive -

DSC01220.jpg

And then cleaned it all up and put some of this plastic filler on -

DSC01221.jpg

I left the front bumper hanging above a small heater to dry the filler, it's amazing how much its shrank as it's dried, luckily i put a thin layer on to start with. I'll sand it down in the morning and add more as required.

DSC01225.jpg

Started sanding down the LCR rear but my black and decker mouse blew up in my hand.... must be a short on the motor, stripped it down and the thing is goosed so need a trip to machine mart to buy a new DA sander.

So went on ebay earlier and had a search and found a Forge Big Race FMIC second hand with the crash bar for £300 BIN :D

EBAYForgeBigRace.jpg

What a bargain !!!! it was a new listing, only a couple of hours old.... WINNING !!!

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
:clap: WOW !!!!! :clap:...... truly legendary!! :worship:

my eye got caught by the "Leon 4WD" bit of your title.....about 2.5 hours ago :blink: and have been completely engrossed since!

the detail in this thread is amazing as is your workmanship!!! excellent work Graham!

looking forward to seeing this completed!!:snack:

tyrer

OEM
Jun 6, 2010
In theory SEAT should if made this car as the LCR but the pressure of VW and Audi meant no, im amazed, excited and jealous all at once

Deleted member 60700

yeah definatley should have made this from factory like that supercharged one over belgium or where ever it was

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Thanks for all the comments guys, really appreciate them all :D keeps me spurred on to get finished..

Oh and yeh they did Leons in 4wd in Europe with the VR6 motor TDI and a few with 1.8T's
All left hookers tho...

Minimorri

Jun 2, 2011
Houston
Yours is something rather special :) read it the whole way through and been keeping my eye on it tip of the hat to you sir ;) Will be off the scale when its done

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Epic project - all power to you.

Thanks for the comprehensive write-up and pics.

Looking forward to the finale. :)

Thanks very much, i'm too looking forward to the finale.... or at least first start-up

I can't wait to see this all done. Going to be mad.

Cheers Alex, your right tho it is gonna be mad :stars:

Yours is something rather special :) read it the whole way through and been keeping my eye on it tip of the hat to you sir ;) Will be off the scale when its done

Thank You, and well done for reading the lot - i have tried to keep it picture heavy, we all love piccies :)

So unfortunately i was back at work this week - can't really complain though had about 4 weeks off :D

Got back yesterday to find my Forge FMIC had arrived....

DSC01226.jpg

Not best pleased with it really...
Looks like some idiot has painted his front bumper on the car several times, there is red, green yellow and a dash of red all over painted with matt black -

DSC01227.jpg

Luckily it chips of easily and when the vanes are moved the paint comes flying off, gonna have to spend a while cleaning all the paint off it, then i will give it a light dusting of matt black.

So replaced the crash bar with the new one -

DSC01229.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

Then dropped the intercooler on -

DSC01231.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

I've also had a rethink on the front bumper / wing extensions, i bonded them with special adhesive and then used plastic filler on them but when i flexed it (simulated just catching a kerb etc) it cracked the flexible plastic filler... apparently it isn't as flexible as it says on the tin.
So i pulled the sides off and i'm gonna fill the bumper / sides so the joint is built up and smooth either side but leave a joint with screws. I've just got a feeling the first time i just kiss the curb pulling into a parking space or a speed bump then it will crack if i blend them in.

So i didn't take any pictures of the bodywork as there's not much to show... and incredibly boring :cry:

I also heard from Clay @ CTS Turbo that the SEM inlet manifolds are still a couple of weeks away so i won't be getting my Manifold, IE Cams, Maestro 7 & ID1000's injectors for at least 3 weeks.

I've got to work out intercooler pipe sizes too. My turbo outlet is 2.5" so i was thinking keep it that size but i'm not too sure.... Any recommendations guys ????
I know about the bigger = more space to fill so slightly laggier..... hhhmmmm some research required me thinks.

I'll do a bit more tomorrow and maybe update,
So long.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
It may be a bit small, i started to look at Air to Water intercoolers (charge coolers) and i was seriously thinking of going that route due to there really low pressure drops and the fact the pipework would be short.... but i thought i would struggle for room for the air filter, and this one came up cheap.

I'll give the Forge one a go i think (Forge rekon its good for over 500bhp) if it doesn't cool the charge air enough i will look at fitting a AWIC or a larger FMIC, I imagine i could sell this intercooler easily if i needed to..

Last edited:

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I wouldn't even consider a charge cooler mate. Remember that you will need, the actual cooler, a second radiator and a pump. All extra weight and they are not as economical at cooling the air as a air to air cooler..

I've heard of people putting pilts (I think thats whats its called, basicaly refridgeration chemical) to reduce temps..

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Apexi and Pro Alloy might be better suited for the bhp this car may reach, although I would have thought the big race fmic from Forge would have been ok..

Try it as you got a good deal even if it is dirty, and if not, sell it on an uprate.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.