Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Looking so much more bigger sized plike a car now Graham.
I'm away to pull my engine out for a few reasosn, one of them being suck/broken bleed nipples on my OEM brake master cylinder.
If you have easy access to this at any point try backing these off to see how free they are as it would not be nice to have everything back together and have to take it all apart for this.
Hopefully your is alright.

Also about your intercooler pipe sizing, as the gases get cooled by the intercooler they will be more dense and need less space.
From this I would doubt you'd need bigger pipe work than the outlet of the turbo as this is where the gases are at their hottest.

Last edited:

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Graham do you want me to ask what the body shop used on my bumper ? I know it was some sticky glue then fibreglass on the front and fiber glass matting on the rear then filler on the front etc

Ibiza_ste

Looking epic mate I had a 4wd conversion on my Lupo and my mk3 polo coupe before I had 2 sell n they were a handful running 330 hp hope yours will be ok

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
I've also had a rethink on the front bumper / wing extensions, i bonded them with special adhesive and then used plastic filler on them but when i flexed it (simulated just catching a kerb etc) it cracked the flexible plastic filler... apparently it isn't as flexible as it says on the tin.
So i pulled the sides off and i'm gonna fill the bumper / sides so the joint is built up and smooth either side but leave a joint with screws. I've just got a feeling the first time i just kiss the curb pulling into a parking space or a speed bump then it will crack if i blend them in.

I think all the pics I have seen of the wide are have the line visable not blended and it looks good

lie this you can see the Line clearly

seat-leon-supercopa-05.jpg

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
i'd take it off your hands if sellin

I might be tempted, i'll try and clean it up first.... i think it may be a bit on the small side really, it may make sense to flog it and get a Precision or Garrett one from across the pond...
MMMmm i'll have a think and drop you a pm if i decide to go bigger. Cheers Mate.

I wouldn't even consider a charge cooler mate. Remember that you will need, the actual cooler, a second radiator and a pump. All extra weight and they are not as economical at cooling the air as a air to air cooler..

I've heard of people putting pilts (I think thats whats its called, basicaly refridgeration chemical) to reduce temps..

Charge Coolers work well if the systems sized properly, they are efficient at cooling.. water is much more efficient at transferring heat than air. But like you say there more complex more to go wrong and weigh more....
The drag boys use tanks to pack them with ice for the runs to get the temp lower than ambient.

Apexi and Pro Alloy might be better suited for the bhp this car may reach, although I would have thought the big race fmic from Forge would have been ok..

Try it as you got a good deal even if it is dirty, and if not, sell it on an uprate.

Alright Tom, yeah the Pro Alloy stuff has a good rep but i costs an arm and a leg, i think i would go with something from across the pond like a Garrett or Precision.
Still don't know what to do tho..:confused:

Looking so much more bigger sized plike a car now Graham.
I'm away to pull my engine out for a few reasosn, one of them being suck/broken bleed nipples on my OEM brake master cylinder.
If you have easy access to this at any point try backing these off to see how free they are as it would not be nice to have everything back together and have to take it all apart for this.
Hopefully your is alright.

Also about your intercooler pipe sizing, as the gases get cooled by the intercooler they will be more dense and need less space.
From this I would doubt you'd need bigger pipe work than the outlet of the turbo as this is where the gases are at their hottest.

Cheers Willie, thanks for the tip on the master cylinder, i'll have a look at that next weekend, would hate to find that at the end when i'm putting on some brakes...

Graham do you want me to ask what the body shop used on my bumper ? I know it was some sticky glue then fibreglass on the front and fiber glass matting on the rear then filler on the front etc

Thanks Dan, i think i'm just gonna stick with the screws, yours looks awesome blended.. they did a cracking job (no pun intended :D).
I did consider putting a thin layer of glass fibre over the top but to be honest i just want to get it ready for paint quickly now and get it built.....

Looking epic mate I had a 4wd conversion on my Lupo and my mk3 polo coupe before I had 2 sell n they were a handful running 330 hp hope yours will be ok

Thanks Bud, feeling EPIC but the boring bodywork is just so slow, i much prefer making bits outta metal.... you can see more where your hours of work go then.
I bet the Lupo was mad, any pics or a build thread we can look at :D

I think all the pics I have seen of the wide are have the line visable not blended and it looks good

lie this you can see the Line clearly

MMmmmmmm tasty, yeh the original supercopa's used a three peice front bumper, liking the little cut outs in the lower part, i'm guessing for brake ducts.

Sure it'll still look good with the joins in :D

Cheers for all the comments and inspiration guys !!!

Over and out.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Intercooler-wise graham, if your wanting a bigger one have a word with Andy Leigh on vagcars, of ACR. They get them custom made for their customers cars and he assures me they are reasonably priced and amazing quality and fitment.

Ibiza_ste

Thanks Bud, feeling EPIC but the boring bodywork is just so slow, i much prefer making bits outta metal.... you can see more where your hours of work go then.
I bet the Lupo was mad, any pics or a build thread we can look at :D

unfortunatly i dont have it on my computer any more as i have moved house and got a different computer yes indeed it was mental stupidly quick and very tail happy :D shame it had to be sold

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Got to be ProAlloy Graham, haven't had a bad word to say about mine.

Yeh they seem to have a great rep, but like all things in life quality costs....:cry:

Gone a bit quiet in here graham, busy now back at work or doing things secretly??

Yeh mate, im back at work - been quite busy so only back weekends... and last weekend i was working on my mate from works bike - the same guy i bought the LC off.
Checked valve clearances and fitted new plugs etc but still took nearly a full day.

Didn't get in the garage on Sunday as the wife was a bit pissy after i spent all day Saturday in there.... she's normally good as gold especially when im away all week then when im back i dissappear into the garage :D

I have done bits and pieces to the bodywork but there's no point taking pictures.... it's all boring stuff.

I am gonna try and get the bumpers finished this weekend and then maybe arange to get the car on a low loader and to the bodyshop the weekend after.

The only concern i have at the moment is i stepped out of the machine today at work and some clown had put some stuff right behind me, i stepped onto it and went down like a sack of sh*t - i may have broken my ankle, or tore a ligament.... absolutley killing me and i'm limping like a tard. Gonna sleep on it and see what it's like in the morn.
A trip to the docs maybe in order.

Winge over....:cry:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Well glad to hear its still coming along albeit slowly.
I know the feeling of hurting your self at work all to well, stepped out of too many CNC's onto oily floors and decided to bodyslam myself to the floor and have a look at the roof.
Hope its just bruised, fractures are not good

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
sorry to hear about your injury. think claim direct could help you with the funds to help the project along lol.

what was the outcome of the injurys?
hope its not bad as need to see some updates lol cant believe youre thread has dropped to page 4 lol.

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
First of all, sorry to hear that you picked up an injury, but it needs to get in the company accident register with the facts recorded. If it turns out that it's more serious, you've got this as leverage to ensure you're supported (financially and otherwise) whilst taking time off work. Not sure how stuff like that is at your place, but at mine they really couldn't care less and apparently we should consider ourselves lucky to get SSP!

Whilst everyone is really excited about this build, it's important to get fit first, and you'll be more useful to yourself that way. So I'm hoping for the best, but don't rush it. I've been there, done that, feel the pain everyday!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Thanks for all the comments guys, turned out to just be a bad sprain i think.. Still a bit tender but well on the mend now.

So i've been lagging a bit behind with the build, i've got next week off work to sort out the spare room and somehow turn it into a nice baby room - it's just a dumping ground for crap around the house we don't need.

The missus says i have to promise to stay out of the garage and finish the room, so my plan is to try and get the car trailered down to the body shop mid week, there's still stuff i wanted to do prior to dropping the car off but i just want it painted so i can continue with the reassembly.

Hold tight guys i will hopefully update with some pics when it's in for paint :D

So long and thanks for all the support :thumb up:

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
Spend every evening of this week sorting the spare room then spend all of next week on the build! ;)

Glad you're on the mend looking forward to the updates.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
This has been an epic read, sorry to hear about the injury mate, I'm sure it won't slow you down too much though ;)

Keep us updated, there's a fair few of us here who can't wait to see the results!

And most importantly, look after that ankle!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Spend every evening of this week sorting the spare room then spend all of next week on the build! ;)

Glad you're on the mend looking forward to the updates.

I would do mate but i'm 300 mile away :) that's the problem i only get home friday afternoon then i'm away with work on a Sunday night.... the perks of being a service engineer :cry:

This has been an epic read, sorry to hear about the injury mate, I'm sure it won't slow you down too much though ;)

Keep us updated, there's a fair few of us here who can't wait to see the results!

And most importantly, look after that ankle!

Thanks ! I'm pretty much fighting fit again now bud.... well not that fit but the ankles ok :D

Last edited: