Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

Discussion in 'Readers Rides (SEAT)' started by grahams81, Dec 24, 2010.

1. air121005

air121005 Active Member

Cage looks superb, Excellent work Graham!!! :clap:

2. cupra-barn

cupra-barn It's all about stealth!

The cage looks awesome Graham top work. :thumbup:

I had a dash flocked a couple of years back, if I remember rightly they cover it in glue, then electrically charge the dash causing the flock to react with the charge covering the whole thing and setting in the glue. It looked superb in my last car cost about £70 from memory!

Like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was brilliant!

3. mattymaxx

mattymaxx Active Member

what a weapon!

Ill be watching this one closely :p

4. ADAM_84

Car is coming along really well Graham hats off to you as always. Couple of questions, how hard was it to remove the dash? And the top part of it can that be removed without taking the rest out?
    I'm having some stuff flocked so think the dash would look good if it was done too if it comes out easily enough.

Cheers Adam

5. grahams81

grahams81 Active Member

Thanks Mate, i'm very pleased with it :D still might add a cross brace between the sides of the main hoop.

Thanks Barny :) i might have to go and get flocked - it does look awesome.

Thanks Bud :)

Thanks Adam - i found the dash was a bit of a bitch to get out - about 3 thousand screws and the heater vents etc..... i may be exaggerating slightly :happy: but it was a pain.

6. air121005

air121005 Active Member

when looking at it i thought about suggesting that but would it not foul the seats?:shrug:

7. joehirth

joehirth Rate me up baby

Graham, why don't you weld up the rear doors and make it a 3 door, whilst you're there :) would be pretty unique :D

8. prawn

prawn Active Member

Car looks pretty cool Graham, but just one question about the cage:

Why does there appear to be a butt joint in the front legs? I'm fairly sure M0rk mentioned it earlier. It looks like a nice and well designed cage, but that Butt weld just confuses me. it ruins an otherwise very well designed cage.

As it's in and done now, I understand you're not about to change it, but i'd seriously look into an additional sill - Roof memeber from the top of the windscreen joint down through the door bars to the base plate, like this:

You can see the bar I'm talking about in grey:

[​IMG]
    Adding in a diagonal in the main hoop will do wonders for rigidity too.

Do you have any cross bracing above the drivers head as well?

This car is going to be an absolute monster when it's done.

Lovely wheels too :)

#928 prawn, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  9. grahams81

grahams81 Active Member

Nah it shouldn't foul the seats, i mounted the main hoop further back than normal to ensure it wasn't in the way.

Thanks Joe, your not the first to suggest it :D but like i told Tim, it would look wierd - to pull it off properly i would have to move the B pillar backwards and lengthen the front doors.... Too much work but your right it would look sweet......... Maybe in the future ;)

Thanks Prawn,
    Yeh there is a butt weld joint, infact all the bends are butt welded to form the front section.
    I know this isn't recommended and is weaker than a single piece but i'm using much thicker wall than standard (3.0mm)
    Like i mentioned earlier i ensure i had really good penetration and did some practice welds and cut them to inspect (worked out the ideal current on the TIG welder)

I may consider running some bars up from the front mounts upto the top bend like you suggested but i dont want to introduce something to hit my head on in the event of an accident, and that could interfere with me getting in and out of the car.

In hindsight i wish i just took the car to somewhere like custom cages.

I have put a diagonal brace in the roof section you can see it in this pic -

[​IMG][/IMG]

I think i will put a diagonal brace in the main hoop like you suggested.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions :)

10. ShizTheBiz

ShizTheBiz Active Member

great work!!!
    sooo whats the next job? is this being painted now? :)

#930 ShizTheBiz, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  11. douthy

douthy Guest

Looks like youve been very busy graham. Superb work!

12. ShizTheBiz

ShizTheBiz Active Member

oh also if your looking for a flocked dash i highly reccommend NEflock.co.uk. he has done a few pieces for me and the woek has always been 100% and quite cheap as well. would reccommend him 100000%

13. IbizaAlex

IbizaAlex AKS tuning

Are you using a baffled sump on this? (I make them now BTW) :)

14. grahams81

grahams81 Active Member

Thanks Mate - Plans ----
    I'm still working on the inside atm - i've still got to weld the front sections to the bulkhead and make a plate. Next then is to remove the sound deadening with a blow lamp and prepare the inside for paint.
    I emeried the rust of half the cage and TIG'd the mounts in last weekend then i gave it a lick of primer.
    I've got to go get some more Argon gas on friday when i'm home then i can finish off all the welding.
    Good news is i should have all next week off (nothing planned in hoping for no callouts :D) so should get the inside totally finished and painted....... then start to tackle the outside :)

Cheers Mark, i've been working on for what feels like a lifetime [:@] hopefully finished soon.
    You should pop round sometime for a catch-up i'll even make you a cuppa or a open a beer :D

Thanks For the link mate i'll look into it.

Hi Alex - i do still need one actually mate, do you need my original one or they outright sale. Let me know what the damage would be :)
    PM me if you like.

15. underpressure

underpressure Active Member

Looks very good Graham.
    I :love: the wheels

16. poliq

poliq four-by-four fan

Loving the progress graham! still going with white for the inside? :)

17. INA

INA Garrett Super STAR!

To be fair Phil , both you & Tim know exactly why there are delays and the order was not complete as we kept adding bits to it.
    I know you mean well but others reading this would think I hold there payment as ransom without shipping parts. We do not transfer funds from our paypal account until orders are 100% completed and shipped.

Graham, SEM manifolds are now in stock.

18. tufftybloke

tufftybloke Badger 5 Edition

#938 tufftybloke, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. staceys3

staceys3 K26 S3 8L

Good shout Paul ;)

Graham have to really commend you on this project the quality of work and the effort you have gone to is phenomenal and I'm sure this car will destroy 99.99% of the cars you ever put it up against

I've been following this thread closely for a long time and will do for ever more :)

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4yoxe1

20. air121005

air121005 Active Member

i assume IE have tested the "ribs" down the sides of the intake chamber and there for a reason, to disturb the air flow about each inlet trumpet opening :shrug: