Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Nooooooooooo Graham you can't mate!

Once things start coming together a bit more the love will come back I'm 100% sure!

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Screw the cage! (no not literally!)
Leave it as it is.
So what if its only 85% of the strength it could possibly be, if you built the cage before the car?
You're not planning on rolling anyways, are you?! :)

As for the welds looking crap in white:
People just won't spot it, because all they're seeing is an 700hpawd leon drifting away.

If I were closer I'd gladly give you a few hours of my time to help you back on track,(if thats what it takes..) so would everyone else in here.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'd whip the cage out, finish the car externally & mechanically with the seats up front that you have.

Then decide what you want to do with it, whether put the brackets back in, or get a cage fabbed up around your needs.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Graham! Come on, you can't be serious about scrapping it? Do you really want to be in the mk1 tt stable? Keep the Leon 100%!

I have a spare set of balls if you want to borrow them!!! :D :D left over from when I decide to get a new pair after thinking of breaking mine.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Thanks for the support guys, means a lot to me it really does.
Just stood having a tab and looking at the car...... I've spent too long working on it to scrap it.

Really not sure about the front part of the cage, strength wise the pipe i used was much thicker than normal rollcage tubing so it may well be ok..... But i dont think i could live with myself if i was in an accident and i managed to kill a passenger due to the cage breaking.....

Might bust the plasma cutter out and chop the front out. The rear should be fine as its original just with additional straight lengths added.

Thanks again guys i'll upload some pics later to see what you think.

gdjohny

Crazy Mechanical Engineer
Dec 25, 2010
Kettering
Good you came to your senses mate cos I was on my way to slap you :)
Scrapping this project would be a sin !!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Good man! :D

Everyone wants to see this come to completion, but we know it's going to take time.

Amazing project, just do as what you can when you can mate, if you hit that block just take a step back from it. Lots of us fall out of love with our cars and want to sell up within minutes, but these are usually rash decisions IMO.

With your knowledge it would be awful to scrap it and go to a TT! Can't do that.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Shame if you do go down this route graham
Had similar thoughts myself a few months back, sell it all and get an RS4 but then had a really good think
Yes it does require money and time to see it through (lots of it) but you'll enjoy it much more than just an engine swapped tt, plus the learning experience on the way
Just look at it as a whole and far through you've gone, its the majority done just the time consuming finishing off
As mork said, take the cage out a get it running and enjoy once done, you can always come back to it later when you have more time

Just something to view to keep you going, you're making almost the leon equivilent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcjptiO168M

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Cheers Lads, i've been having a think again, dangerous i know :)

I've come to the obvious conclusion that the car isn't going to be finished anytime soon therefore there's no point rushing on and being left with a car that i didn't want to build.

So think due to the burning issue in the back of my mind about the front roll cage failing i'm going to cut the whole cage out including the mounts - so i wasted plenty of money and months of my time but Oh well, you live and learn.

I've always wanted a caged track / road weapon so i'm gonna do it !!!!!!! (just do it right this time :D:D)

I'm thinking of just ordering a Custom Cage multipoint for the Leon.
They come with the main hoops etc already bent and all the pipes pre-cut / prevent with the ends all notched / formed ready just to weld together.
Shouldn't be too bad to install and it'll be awesome with a "proper" cage in :D the only thing is it's like £700 plus vat so about £850 plus shipping.

Here's a pic of the cage -

seatleoncupra05.jpg

Got my Sparco EVO3 a couple of weeks ago,
Dropped in to measure up where to weld the bars too -

IMG_0520.jpg

Also my SEM Inlet Mani came the other day -

IMG_0565.jpg

Only took 6 months to come :censored:

I've also welded the seat bars in -

IMG_0542.jpg

How it looks now -

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Oh well it's all coming out tomoro :confused:

Onwards and Upwards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4wdibiza

4wd all the way
Oct 20, 2011
cardiff
bloodyhell graham you done same as me really bud, then i went for customcages multipoint carnt really fault there cages awesome fitment and they even give you a dvd :lol: pmsl, anyways mate well done on this car , would be nice to see ours rip together ;).reagrd dave.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
bloodyhell graham you done same as me really bud, then i went for customcages multipoint carnt really fault there cages awesome fitment and they even give you a dvd :lol: pmsl, anyways mate well done on this car , would be nice to see ours rip together ;).reagrd dave.

Thanks Dave, i have been admiring your thread. your cage is p0rn :D
Hindsights a fabulous thing i wish i just ordered one in the first place and not spent 2 months modifying a OMP one.... wish you told me earlier :lol:

wow thats awsome wish i had cash to do something like that

Thanks mate, and if you do something like this you'll never have any cash..... don't think of it as money more a passion or insanity :D

Rgm racer

Sep 22, 2009
i'm guessing if you go for this cage you won't be bothering with interior bits inc.roof lining?

If you do need interior bits,inc.lining,carpet and several bits of the plastics let me know as i have bits taken from my stripped 05 lcr that i would be happy to sell you very cheap.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
cheers bud slow progress but geting there, you will be chuffed with new cage bud honest, speak soon bud:)

Slow progress mate..... i know all about that :D, although i feel closer than ever now after busting out the plasma today :)

i'm guessing if you go for this cage you won't be bothering with interior bits inc.roof lining?

If you do need interior bits,inc.lining,carpet and several bits of the plastics let me know as i have bits taken from my stripped 05 lcr that i would be happy to sell you very cheap.

Thanks Very much for the offer mate - PM'd you :)

Don't quit now, you'll be chuffed to bits once finished.

Cheers Mate, i'm feeling a lot happier now and back in love with it :love:

Tiny Update -

So i never plucked up the courage to order the multipoint Custom Cage.
I did some more thinking and decided if i went for the Custom cage not only would i be £900 (delivered) lighter but it would also take me ages to fit and set me back probably a month or two - plus the expense of the Argon etc etc

So i have decided i will keep the rear half of the cage (originally OMP cage) as there are no joints etc.... when i originally mounted the rear cage i kept it lows i could run a headliner.
The plan is to run my Sparco Evo seats with harnesses and a full interior minus the rear seats / parcel shelf.
I got the plasma cutter out today and removed the front part of the cage - It's weird it took me weeks to make but minutes to remove.... :D

I'm much happier with the project now and feel really positive about moving forward.

Just got to grind down the welds on the main hoop and then dress it all up. Once i've finished that i can start on the exterior paintwork as the rest of the interior will be covered by OEM panels and carpet.

Thanks Again to everyone for the supportive comments - such a good bunch of fella's :thumbup:

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
Nice to hear this Graham, so relieved you're not giving up this is an epic thread/build!

A 'fast road' track car will give you a lot of enjoyment.

Looking forward to seeing more :)