Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Where's the 'like' button? Love it, looks like a complete car in a couple of those shots ;)

Good work buddy. :D

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Thanks for all the comments guys, there much appreciated.

And M0rk i'm gonna wait and see what the car looks like from the side before i decide on the B-Pillars.

No wide side shots as the cars in the garage on chassis dolly's - it's a nightmare pulling the car out the garage as i have a step to get over (i need to jack up the dollys as they pass over the step) so they won't be any full shots of the car until it's done and rolling on its rims :p

Todays Update :blink:

I spent all day in the garage without much to show for it other than more work than i started with [:@]

Anyhow i decided to build up the boot so i put on all the buffers / plates / gas struts... unfortunately i seem to have misplaced the lower clips that holds the balls in the gas struts :rolleyes:

IMG_1427_zpsc84e5270.jpg

After that i decided to start lining the boot up...... about 2 hours later i was still struggling to get it sitting nice. What ever i did i could get it right.

The clearance between the boot and the body was tight about 1-2mm.... i remember thinking how tight it was last time the boot was fitted prior to painting...... i'm kicking myself that i forgot and did nothing about it before painting the boot.
I wasn't sure if the gap was too tight because i cut the back of the car out or maybe it's cos the car is on dollys and not on it's wheels.

Gap or lack of it :( -

IMG_1430_zps121f8aab.jpg

So i decided to "tease" the gap open a bit with a massive bit of wood and a jack, i know i know i'm ghetto but whatever :p

IMG_1431_zps9c80d91c.jpg

The car flexed loads but then as soon as the jack was released it would spring back.... so after pulling it open quite a bit it was about 1mm further open. I didn't have the bottle to go any further as it was already creaking and cracking noises.

I though ok just line it up so spent another hour getting the boot square in the middle. unfortunately i managed to chip a couple of bits of paint from the boot side edges before i covered it all in masking tape. When i was done i then removed the masking tape and managed to pull a rather large chunk of paint off the boot :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

IMG_1432_zps246fafde.jpg

To say i wasn't best pleased is an understatement, i nearly torched the fecking thing [:@]

I'm guessing there was maybe a little grease of a maybe a finger print there as i can see the surface of the primer looks well keyed... the paint is still quite soft mind which wouldn't help.

Anyhow after a breather i decided that the gap still wasn't big enough and i was sick of trying to wedge the back end open so i decided as i need to do some touching up of the boot paint anyway i may as well file the edges down to give another couple of mm clearance.

I didn't take any pics of the finished job, i'll take some tomorrow before i touch the paintwork up.

Thanks as always, Graham.

Mark D

Apr 5, 2013
Leicester
You have balls making this in the first place but wood on a jack....i wouldn't even dream of that.

thought of jacking it out like you have then making a strut across the C pillars like the roll cage?

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
You have balls making this in the first place but wood on a jack....i wouldn't even dream of that.

thought of jacking it out like you have then making a strut across the C pillars like the roll cage?

Yeh i did think of using a strut brace across the c-pillars but i want to run an interior and i wouldn't be able to use the plastics inside the boot..... anyway it should be sorted now as i've shaved a bit off the boot on both sides.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Love to see this at a show when its done.

Biggest build I've seen on here well done mate

Cheers Mate :)

Nice work with the jack lol :)

Thought you might like that :)
I might be slow but I'm rough as well :D

I'm gonna mix up some primer and top coat tomorrow then touch up the edges with a brush. I'm just gonna brush on some top coat too... I know it'll be rough but i'll flatten it and polish once dried, it'll also be under the rear spoiler so you'll not notice once fitted.

Never mind.

L14M H

Dec 7, 2013
Wow. What a great project. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Nice Graham, coming together now :D

I had a paint issue when I removed some tape after getting the windows refitted, though I think mine was lack of key.

Cheers Joe, i feel like i'm at least getting somewhere now :)

Wow. What a great project. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks Bud :D

Graham -fancy doing 4x4 conversion on my Cupra TDI ?

Hell NO !!! never again, to be fair if i did just the 4x4 conversion it would have been canny simple, the paint is the bit that has slowed the project down.

Todays Progress

After having a shite day yesterday i just got on with it rather than sulking. I started by filing a bit more from the boot to give me a decent gap on both sides of the boot.

Looking a bit better -
IMG_1433_zps3e5e43de.jpg

IMG_1435_zpse98cc206.jpg

After that i decided to get cracking on the loom and pulled in the separate looms for each side of the boot -

All done (PS the rubber boots were as difficult to get in as they look :()

IMG_1442_zps65fb50da.jpg

IMG_1438_zpsceed3643.jpg

IMG_1437_zps92eefee2.jpg

As its been like a year and a half since i removed the loom i have totally forgot what goes where, most of it i've worked out but there seems to be some plugs missing from the back lights. I have connected one plug to the back lights fitted in the main body of the car but they are like 2 sockets free :confused:
I can't find any extra bits of the loom that i'm missing so i'm guessing they never had any wires to them.... maybe towing connections :confused:

If anybody could confirm how many plugs go to their back lights it would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of mine, with two free plugs -

IMG_1440_zps5eb458eb.jpg

I also made a start at the main body loom.... put in the joints for the boot connections -

IMG_1441_zps9e1127bd.jpg

And then i gave the ends of the boot a dab of primer before some topcoat to touch up -

IMG_1436_zpsca86c9b1.jpg

Hopefully i'll get some topcoat on there tomorrow to finish the job off.

Thanks As always for any comments :)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Looks like progress to me! It might be worth getting some 3M low-tac masking tape to avoid any further problems. That white masking tape is not great - too sticky in my experience. Just a thought :)

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Looks like progress to me! It might be worth getting some 3M low-tac masking tape to avoid any further problems. That white masking tape is not great - too sticky in my experience. Just a thought :)

Cheers James, the stupid thing is i've got some blue low tack stuff.... Im just lazy and i'll use the first thing to hand :ban:

I'm going to be move carful from now on thats for sure.

Todays Update

I sent emails for parts to 4 different parts departments and as i'm still waiting to hear back i thought screw it, i can't wait for some little plastic clips for the loom....
So i set about cable tying the loom in place in the roof, i also installed some plastic clips to hold on the A & B pillar covers on... The passenger side clips hold the loom in place.

I really couldn't remember which clips went where so i went back through my photobucket and found pictures of the strip down :)

Loom all tied up -

3a5d1f67c19c43fef6b9a4c586d763e7_zpsa484905c.jpg

58bc94dd283708cdf8531e7aa809cbad_zps7bdd08e6.jpg

I really wanted to get that part done so i could start getting the interior back in.
Next i hoovered the LCR headlining i got of RGMRacer - Rob... It came up good as new.

I slipped it in though the front windscreen hole.....oh er missus !

Sorry about the shite images, its hard taking pics of black stuff in a very bright white garage.... Especially as my iphone died.... I used my ipadmini, god the camera is poor.

All handles / sunvisors etc bolted in :D

acfb59d5e0e6408fa7759861004f31de_zps3e5583b3.jpg

c936746f26830ff9072253382ca4a9d5_zpsf5ce2432.jpg

The Rollcage looks great against the black headliner

ec6d8982602318f733b04f31550ff0c4_zpsfce4a284.jpg

Next up i dug out the A & B pillars and stuck them on... I also stuck in the C pillar cover in on the drivers side

873edb4d694603a51f46c7dbb12154ef_zps5be9f812.jpg

2257562328823a00f8f1ec2a37f4323a_zps97176b77.jpg

1238fd04cc752937f2c5b89e9c2720f3_zps93726d08.jpg

I'm very happy with todays progress, its starting to look very much like a car again :)

Mark D

Apr 5, 2013
Leicester
Must be an easy connector for tow bar electrics. One way to find out test all the lights see if they work when its all wired up with power

look forward to the pics of the paint touch up see how it comes out

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
Been a very long time since I looked on here, some awesome updates in here Graham!!

Such an awesome machine you're creating with care put into everything....a credit to you mate!

Rgm racer

Sep 22, 2009
Great to see some of that interior getting fitted Graham and the project now moving on at a decent rate.

Still would love to see/go in this in the flesh one day but maybe it will be a bad thing as I'm sure I'll end up wanting 700hp and 4wd!!

I'll be looking to get some trackdays in again this year from end of March/April having just done the only job needed this winter which was new discs up front [gone for 2 piece this time]. Dangerously I'm already considering whether to go for more power upgrades after this coming season. Current thinking is to probably keep it 2wd [at least for now;)] but aim for power at least the 500+ mark as anything less wouldn't be worth the effort, time and expense:D

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members