Green panel filter, oil or no oil?

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hey guys, just about to order a forge strut brace, green panel filter, and a vag flip key for my cupra tdi. Ive done some reading on the subject but couldnt find a definite answer for this issue. The online instructions for the green panel filter say that it should be oiled after it is cleaned... however i have read some posts saying that this could ruin the MAF?

One or two posts from people who run the filter dry to avoid the issue. Any advice before i click buy, any other filters i should look at instead?

Cheers

Tom

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
when you buy a cleaning kit it wil come with some spray oil iv just washed and oiled mine no problems so far.

Do the panels come already oiled? i noticed that the pipercross panels have exactly the same instructions pretty much. Im thinking the amount of oil you have to apply is tiny?

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
when i purchased one i looked into this and the green pigment is the colour of the oil. it should be a light coating of oil otherwise may lead to MAF problems as you have mentioned.

in the end i didn't see much point so sold it on as i won't be going past stage 1 remap

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
when i purchased one i looked into this and the green pigment is the colour of the oil. it should be a light coating of oil otherwise may lead to MAF problems as you have mentioned.

in the end i didn't see much point so sold it on as i won't be going past stage 1 remap

Ye i didnt get one in the end, ordered a nice shiny forge strut brace though. I just cant find enough info about the maf issue for me to decide. For 1 or 2 bhp gain i cant see the point in blowing a 100 quid maf.

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
So long as you don't spray loads of oil on it so it's dripping off it, should be fine. I cleaned and re-oiled mine without any issues.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
One or two posts from people who run the filter dry to avoid the issue. Any advice before i click buy, any other filters i should look at instead?

If it is not oiled then it won`t be filtering properly, the oil Helps filtration as well as the filter cross-section. As long as you follow the instrucions you get with the cleaning kits, oil the correct side and don`t over-oil, it will be fine.
There is no noticable difference between the GREEN and the K+N panel filters (I have the K+N), so it depends on price really.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
If it is not oiled then it won`t be filtering properly, the oil Helps filtration as well as the filter cross-section. As long as you follow the instrucions you get with the cleaning kits, oil the correct side and don`t over-oil, it will be fine.
There is no noticable difference between the GREEN and the K+N panel filters (I have the K+N), so it depends on price really.

Cheers mate, im gonna get one, does mean i have to take the strut brace off to get it on though :lol: awwww bugger, shoulda thought about that a bit more.

kilner

May 8, 2011
its k and n that hav poroblems with maf not green filters

the difrence is k and n use a 5 layer gauze system and this can get rather large holesi n is easy and allow more dirt to get thru the filter this then gets on the hot wire and knackers the maf

the green filter is a 2 layer cotton system that is like a t shirt it much harder to get a hole in it than the k and n and also allows for beter airflow

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
3923d1094252491-osnn-irc-channel-irc-freenode-net-holythreadresbatman.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise