Gremilins or electrics gone wrong

Graham_bioyag

Hi,
After spending the day in the SEAT workshop yesterday and still no wiser I thought that maybe someone out there has encountered this issue I have with my Alhambra.

Recently I noticed that I could no longer lock the doors with the remote but only unlock them (using both keys so it wqasn't a battery issue). In addition the head light buzzer stoped working and the radio no longer turns off when the key is removed from the ignition. As all these issues occured the same day I thought it was a fuse but all the fuses are ok and have been checked out in the garage. The SEAT garage also checked the circuits with their analysing PC but found nothing unusual so I have to book it in for a day, with not even knowing what they are looking for, and billing me an hourly rate.

So if anyone has resolved this issue before now and could share their knowledge it would be appreciated and save me some money so we can have meat on Christmas day :drool:

Graham

bmsc22990

May 20, 2004
edinburgh
Sounds like a bad earth but i wouldnt know how to solve it ..sorry. But a note on your dealer. My local dealer charges a diagnostic fee around £50 i think,but if they cant find problem then they dont charge you any more until they do. I had a prob with my blowers and they could'nt figure it out that day and i had to book it in for a full day. In the end i got a bill for 1 hours labour for the time it took to repair once they had spent all day figuring it out :D

Graham_bioyag

Thats a good idea, I'll see if they will accept the principle of the diagnostic charge, and pay the labour charge for the repair. Somehow I don't think they will be that reasonable but I'll give it a go.

I noticed tonight that after a while the alarm flashing light fades and then disapears altogether, I'll have to test the alarm is working aswell.

I love the car but I a but surprised and dissapointed that for a car thats not even 3 years old has encountered apparently electrical problems. I guess the japs have spoiled me, in the past I drove a Honda and Toyota and never once a problem. My '91 corolla is still chugging along and not even blowing smoke.

Thnx
Graham

bmsc22990

May 20, 2004
edinburgh
I dont know if newer bammers are the same but with mine you have to turn the key twice to activate the dead locks and that cuts the flashing alarm light on door off.(I was told that the if light is off it means that all security is activated) but i would have thought the light would stay flashing as a deterrent. Good luck with dealer.My locals an arnold clark and if THEY can offer a diagnostic charge all dealers can lol.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Graham_bioyag said:
dissapointed that for a car thats not even 3 years old has encountered apparently electrical problems.
if its less than 3 years old surely it should be warranty anyway ?

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
bmsc22990 said:
I dont know if newer bammers are the same but with mine you have to turn the key twice to activate the dead locks and that cuts the flashing alarm light on door off.(I was told that the if light is off it means that all security is activated) but i would have thought the light would stay flashing as a deterrent. Good luck with dealer.My locals an arnold clark and if THEY can offer a diagnostic charge all dealers can lol.

I think you will find that pushing the lock button twice within 2 seconds actually disarms the deadlocks hence no flashing light!

Graham_bioyag

"if its less than 3 years old surely it should be warranty anyway ?"

Unfortunately only a 2 year warranty in Ireland, and its 6 months outside.

Graham_bioyag

Update on electrical demons

Well the diagnostics took the whole day to complete and in the end they gave up! Apparently the diagnostic computer could not get access to the 'convienience' module, seriously thats what its called ;-)

Which could mean a wire has come loose or the module is knackered and needs replacing at €300 plus taxes and labour, i'm looking at a potential bill for approx €800. This would be a significant cost and could be more expensive as the whole dash has to come out because the module is not easily accessable. The mechanic told me that its a first time he came across this on an Alhambra, so it does not appear to be a major design flaw.

So in the end I was not charged anything and I have decided to trade up and get a new Alhambra in January, because overall I am happy with the model. I was going to change later next year so I'll trade this one in and let the garage worry about getting it fixed.

Thanks for all the feedback. ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.