Grounding out a Cupra R...a real issue or not?

wrecker

I'd read up a bit about the Cupra R before I decided to get one, including a number of magazine reviews. I got the impression that they definitely had an issue with taking speed bumps. There was no way that was gonna stop me getting one, but as I've not had a car with as little ground clearance before I'm a little concerned and would appreciate some feedback.

I've searched the forum and can't get a feel for how much of an issue this really is. There's a load of posts about cracked/damaged sumps on the Mk1 Leons (Not necessarily Cupra R's), but they're not that frequent (Most posts from 1998 and before) and a lot seem to be caused by something 'unusual' like raised ironworks etc. I see a lot of people catch their splitters a lot, which is fine and I don't care about that if that's all it is most of the time.

Most of the roads round my way are fine so it's not gonna be an issue generally, but I do go into London to see mates quite a bit and some of the routes I usually take have some fairly hefty speed bumps, some of which I'd be pretty cautious going over even in a normal car TBH.

So, is it REALLY an issue grounding out the sump on the Cupra R? Do I need to be extra careful with speed bumps/multistoreys etc. and is it worth investing in a metal sump guard?

I've seen the dieselgeek plates mentioned quite a bit and know that that Backdraft do a reinforced sump. Are these worth getting and do they come with all required fittings? And for the dieselgeek plate, I assume the Golf Mk4 one would fit as they don't do Seat specific plates? Apparently VW do an OEM metal plate for the Golf too so didn't know if anyone had tried that.

Please feel free to take the p*ss if I'm just being paranoid..... :confused:

Cunners

Jan 19, 2007
Connah's Quay, nr Chester
Maybe just a bit paranoid there mate, I' ve had my LCR 3years now and love it. Where i live to get to a main road or back home i have to go over some of the worse speed bumps you've ever come across , If anything only ever caught my undertary once or twice.

I have hit my splitter many a time tho on kerbs :doh: down ramps in undergroung car parks :doh: and it can get annoying sometimes but i've never managed to do any lasting damage.

Hope this helps :)

mark smith

"take it or leave it !"
Oct 28, 2007
westbury !
as the above replys, as long as you approach the speed hump slowly (i normally go over at an angle, one wheel at a time) no problems, same applys for multi story car parks, only grazed it a few times. bit of care and you'll be fine.

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
I think most problems are with the diesels as the TDI sumps already sit extremely low, so when lowered they become something of an expendable item :whistle:

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Mine is lowered about 30mm and I rarely catch it on anything. It happily goes over speed bumps and in multistoreys going really slow. As said above the only thing I have to watch out for is kerbs and really cambered country roads with the raised bit in the middle!

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
as said only the splitter really scrapes on the odd hump of steep ramp and they are cheap to replace so dont worry!

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Mine scrapes loads, but I've not caught the sump so far (touch wood) it's on -30mm eibach springs and as Boomhauer says, it even scrapes on narrow country lanes where the camber is higher in the middle.

I blame the government...

[B)]

Actually in all seriousness, it was awesome in Germany where the roads are like silk.

EmDee

Omnishambolic
you'd think forum members could park a bleedin car...
:cartman:

TIP 2: If you point the near side mirror down a bit you can get within inches of the curb with no scuffage - so long as you're in reverse ;)

Please note: The poster of this information accepts no responsibility for your dumb ass curbing your alloys becuase you can't park. This also applies to those of you looking in your side mirror while you back into the car behind you.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Or just pull up and know where the front of the car is?

tip: on a standard size kerb you can pull up so drives mirror is over the kerb and you won't hit it with splitter.

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
I have mildly scuffed the undertray once that I can recall in 6 months of ownership - that was for taking a particularly high 'square' central speed hump with my wheels either side - usually these are fine if I reduce speed as I cross them.

Closest I've ever come to actually bottoming out was approaching a fast A-road crest quickly... which then became a yump as I went over it and realised my turn of speed... as the car came down though it didn't ground out and felt pretty stable, I don't think I hit the bump-stops! Pretty confidence inspiring at the stiffness of the dampers complementing the low ride height :)

Alex

wrecker

it was awesome in Germany where the roads are like silk.

Yeah, got a trip to Germany on the cards hopefully later this year to see what the LCR can do flat out and maybe give the 'Ring a visit as well. I've got a mate in Holland who's recently bought a Megane Sport and has mentioned a bit of a 'race'... I told him I might wait around for him as long as he's not too slow ;)