Grumble/Droning noise from rear

ScottEvs

Sep 22, 2018
Hi all I bought a leon fr 2015- on Monday and I've now noticed I got a grumbling/Droning noise from the rear end particularly at 40mp can't work out if this is the bearing or just normal? The noise is still there if I put it in neutral and roll too?

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
it will probably be the tyres, Is it on bridgestones ?

burn through the tyres asap and fit quality replacements. Michelin or Goodyear are best ime

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Run your hand around the inside edge of the rear tyres, forward then backwards.

If you can feel a difference between then look for saw tooth wear on the inner tread blocks.

My last VW used to suffer terribly from this, swapping the rears side to side every 10k helps, but it's mainly down to the toe in geometry of the suspension.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Run your hand around the inside edge of the rear tyres, forward then backwards.

If you can feel a difference between then look for saw tooth wear on the inner tread blocks.

My last VW used to suffer terribly from this, swapping the rears side to side every 10k helps, but it's mainly down to the toe in geometry of the suspension.
I also had a problem with saw tooth wear on a mk5 Golf a few years ago. It did sound very much like a worn wheel bearing, but it was the tyres - you could see and feel the ‘stepped’ saw tooth profile of the inner tread blocks.

Seems to be fairly common on VAG cars with independent rear suspension, so if the OP’s FR hasn’t got independent rear suspension, then the droning noise is more likely to be a wheel bearing.

ScottEvs

Sep 22, 2018
Ok thanks guys, checked the tyres and it's two greenlands on the front and two sunnys on the back? Guessing they're cheap ones

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members