gt17/20 hybrid fitting

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Guys

Im after some advice if poss ive already done a search and no joy.
Ive been given a turbo technics built gt1749 hybrid that uses the gt20 compressor housing and wheel from a 2.5tdi v6 vw.
Its currently back being refreshed at TT
It s going onto my pd130 ibiza with BLT engine.

Few questions id like answered.

1 what size pipe do i need to connect vw tip to the larger compressor housing?
2 anyone with experience of these and how they drive please.
3 its my daily driver so not going silly, will it be ok for moment on a 10k oil standard clutch and smic

Many Thanks

Richard

Apr 13, 2011
hull
It won't like your side mount for a fact it will want better cooling font mount required really.

Drive wise it will need mapping once fitted or will drive poorly
Plus u will need to replace engine oil and filter before fitting the turbo to make sure it's running on freash clean oil

O and the clutch well that's something that will defo not last long If last at all that will depend on how good the clutch is at the mo plus how u use the power once new turbo on but my slef I'd say running a hybrid turbo will destroy your clucth very very fast.
Going to hybrid level requires a good few penny's to make reliable and most of the turbo
Hope this helps

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Is this a vnt or wastegate turbo? If it's vnt the size wont matter, the 17/22 is used quite a lot in the states with really nice results.

Last edited:

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Seatmann

Its a arl (pd150) exhuast housing with the vnt 20 compressor housing and wheel of a v6 2.5tdi.
I cant imagine it will be poo as was commisioned by a customer so tt built it and should be a set up well.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Well if you could see my face you'd see the jealousy lol

There's some guys running nearly 250bhp through a side mount too, it maybe depends what you're using the car for. I'd imagine the exhaust gas temps would get a bit much if it was used as a track car for instance.

Anyway I reckon that turbo would get me near enough 200hp at the wheels!

BLT engine, is that one of the newer CR ones?

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Ive waiting so long to take plunge, existing kkk turbo is getting noisy so just luck.
yeah after speaking to darkside they think will be ok on a sidemount for sometime as long as its not tuned silly.
BLT is a late euro 4 pd130 with poo small kkk turbo seems to be only fitted to ibiza,polo, fabia.
its got a full milltek and downpipe already was fitted from new by seat dealer, got bilstein b8 dampers and h&r springs to fit.
Need to get a braided oil feed line but darksides one at £40 seems v pricy.