GT1749VB v GT1749V(S2)

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
Hi!

I'm looking into replacement turbos for my Leon FR+. I'd like to keep the costs down so want a standard part or a stronger (not bigger) turbo at the same price.

Turbo Technics website state a replacement turbo as GT1749V(S2). Does anyone know the difference between that and the VB?

Heres a screen shot for car/engine/turbo/turbo part number/OEM part number
turbo.jpg

Also does anyone know why there are two different turbos listed for the Cupra? And are those actual Seat part numbers on the far right?

Finally do you have to get underneath the car to change the turbo? or is it done from above?

Thanks in advance!

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
There is an ibiza cupra 160bhp but not a Leon. The engine code of the FR+, FR and Cupra Tdi is ARL - the correct turbo for that is a GT1749VB. No idea what the S2 stands for.

thanks for the reply UncleFester!
Do you know if the FR+ has a Garrett as standard or a KKK? If i purchased from a dealer would i get a Garrett?

Will give TD a call tomorrow for prices!

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
£530 in VAT from VW with 2 year warrenty. then all i need is the gaskets oil feed line etc which shouldnt be much..

they want the old turbo also..

i dont think anyone can beat that price!

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
there are a few turbos for sale on mkiv forum (golf forum) cant remember how much , surely TD isnt much more for hybrid

£688 inc vat to hybrid the fecker. + the £539 for the turbo = £1227 :(
cant use the my current turbo as its on its way out and they cant rebuild them apparently

think i'll stay with the standard turbo.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
Try Turbo Technics Northampton, I paid about £550 exchange for my hybrid.
Glynn

was that exchanging your knackrd turbo? or you give them a brand spanking new one and pay £550 for a hybrid?
everyone so far i've spoken to say the turbo needs to be in good nick.

a hybrid will always cost me more money as i'd want a custom map and new clutch..

plus down time is not an option :(

brad1

was that exchanging your knackrd turbo? or you give them a brand spanking new one and pay £550 for a hybrid?

a hybrid will always cost me more money as i'd want a custom map and new clutch..

I believe just aslong as the turbo housing is in good condition it will be fine as they totally strip the internals out and put uprated ones in hence "hybrid"

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham

My shaft had snapped and the comp wheel was non existent! TT were fine about it as Brad says its the housings that need to be in good order.
Get yours off ready and give the exchange unit to the courier when he delivers the hybrid. Car off the road for2 days tops!
Glynn

Last edited:

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
bollocks! i've already paid vw. looking at options now a tt turbo is just under £500 incl

i've been told a hybrid turbo will need remapping to work properly? i've already got a jabba map, will it not be ok for normal driving? wouldnt not just mean im not getting the best from it that i could?

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
It may or may not. I had mine remapped at jabba after the hybrid was fitted.
Before the remap I had 190hp and 365lbft from a map that cost me £160!
After Micaheal at jabba spent all day on it it came out with 207hp and 351lbft.
Before the jabba map it was a little smokey as the lag was notceable, after the jabba map it smokes all the way through the revs. Its been back twice already, still doing it and now they dont answer my emails. See how you go on with it, it may be ok, £475 I apid to jabba was not woth 17hp and loads of smoke! Think I am going to get my money back and let RS tuning sort it!
Glynn

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
how was it to drive with a non-hybrid mapped hybrid turbo?

as long as it wont damage the car i wouldnt mind pottering to work and back and waiting for a hybrid map

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
It was ok really as you have to consider that I had an agressive map before Jabba got involved.The downside to hybrids is you lose the instant push below 2000rpm, but after that it really does go very well indeed. I have seed over 5000rpm in 4th gear on my car.
Autobahn!
Glynn

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
im going to try and return the vw turbo. they said they'll try and theres a 10% charge....

if they can take it back (have not even collected it yet) i'll be in AmD essex and the turbo will be sent to turbo technics!

fingers crossed my clutch doesnt fall to bits. all i wanted was a replacement turbo for a the car and now it looks like a hybrid turbo and map is cheaper! :blink: :wtf:

thanks glynnd! :bleh:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.