gt2x long term experiences or I still like my gt2x thread.

jambel

I have a 2002 1.8T Ibiza and could have a gt2x for a low buck, here in the forum are a lot of threads with the gt2x, some like it and some not, an some are older threads. time gives us experience , so I am curious who runs still a gt2x and ist still satisfied with this decision.
what is the hp/boost limit for long term fun ?(with other major mods like intercooler, 3 inch turbo back, custom ecu programming) do I need the atp manifold or does the stock one fullfill the job ?

Last edited by a moderator:

tarzan

cupra owner from norway
Mar 15, 2008
drammen norway
stock mani max 250bhp.make the turbo to hybrid and you will see around 290bhp.
go for ina or ths mani and if you have the cash the new jbs mani:D

jambel

40 bhp difference :-o only by changing the mani ? I thought the gt2x bases on a gt22, and is this turbo really able to produce 290 bhp ? or what do you mean with hybrid ?
will a ina, jbs or ths mani make a big difference to the atp,pag parts one ?

tarzan

cupra owner from norway
Mar 15, 2008
drammen norway
40 bhp difference :-o only by changing the mani ? I thought the gt2x bases on a gt22, and is this turbo really able to produce 290 bhp ? or what do you mean with hybrid ?
will a ina, jbs or ths mani make a big difference to the atp,pag parts one ?

no not 40bhp extra :happy: stock mani cant flow more than 250bhp.robdon on here have made 317bhp with a gt2x hybrid and wmi kit and adjusted timing.
hybrid treatment is a upgrade on the turbo.
jbs say 15-20hp more with their mani on a ko3s.
cupramillio on hear made much more torque with ina mani
if you search here on the forum and read alot you will find answers to it all

jambel

tanks for information
I know there are much threads when I search gt2x, but these a very big threads and mostly the gt2x infos are only a site note.

who offers this hybrid treatment ?

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
No first hand experience but from the threads I have read they are very poorly built turbos and don't offer very good performance when offset against the lag.

I'd stick to hybrid K03 personally which it seems will offer more power with less lag, but each their own

If you hybrid the GT2X you will obviously gain more power and better spool characteristics over the stock unit, but all depends who does the work and how much that comes to

Last edited:

jambel

thanks for the useful replies, I think I don´t want to do a hybrid build with the gt2x, only option would have been plug and play, maybe with a other manifold. but when I have to do such a lot of modifications I will go bt maybe a gt28r or rs
hybrid k03 sounds also really good because of the stock like quality

Last edited by a moderator:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
If you're not going big turbo then a hybrid K03S is probably the better option. The GT2X isn't as bad as many seem to think it is (who comment without any experience of it), mine made 280bhp with the ATP manifold at 1.3 BAR of boost. But after the hybrid work it really came alive and became a much better turbo, 317bhp at 1.5 BAR of boost.

The manifold is good for around 10-20bhp in reality - I gained 19bhp when I swapped from the stock manifold - back to back dyno tests, nothing else changed.

tarzan

cupra owner from norway
Mar 15, 2008
drammen norway
Because you said theres a 40bhp difference between the staock manifold and hi-flow one which i very much doubt its that much.

I agree it should be changed to help spool as these turbos are notoriously laggy.

i ment that over 250 he should change to a highflow mani

jamiebennett81

personally if I did it all again, I would just go to a hybrid k03s route, and thats it

jamiebennett81

I think for the masses on here, k03 hybrid is the more common choice. It lends itself to a straight bolt on

I always tend to think that when a lot of tuners tend to opt and sell the hybrid with applicable map i.e. Badger5, to me this speaks volumes and I question why others do not fit and sell the gt2x as a package?

IMO in terms of spool up Vs the hybrid, the hybrid is the clear choice, but then what you lose bottom end you gain top end which is where the gt2x makes up for its additional lag

also, the gt2x unit IMO is not a stable unit and needs hybrid treatment. Not only this, but it is only oil cooled, which again, is a backwards step rather than an advance/upgrade

Rob I know you highly speak of it, but then it hasn't been without its issues

dont get me wrong, from Robs work and proven figures (all be it his vehicle is completely bespoke) you can drive decent results from the unit, but in terms of ease of fitment, running and a one stop package, I would opt for the k03 hybrid

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise