GUIDE - How to install footwell lights!

phillpotts92

Buy Cheap, Buy Twice! :D
Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
I installed footwell lights into my new Ibiza today as I used to have them in my old car and loved them.

Right straight into the guide then...

Step 1: You will need; 4x scotch locks, 5m of cable (doesn't really matter of thickness) and 2x 30cm LED strips.

These are the strips you need TWO! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Car-S...CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1419fcca#ht_1459wt_922

b6cc7f5b.jpg

Step two:

Remove the a-pillar to expose this:
9419133d.jpg

Step three: Now remove a section of the black covering and clean the wires of the sticky residue:
c299d073.jpg

Step four: Pick out the RED/BLACK and BROWN/BLACK wires and splice into them like so:
1ed370be.jpg

Step five: Now route the wire down and through the green clips and put the cables back in the clips like so:
d63cc242.jpg

And also tape the cables to the original cables like so to prevent it catching on the popper that clips the pillar trim on:

Step six: Pull the side fuse box cover off and route the cables like so:
3c316b3e.jpg

Step seven: Connect the led strip to the corresponding wires (brown/black is live red/black is earth):
52198e9d.jpg
61f8e78a.jpg

Step eight: route the strip down here and pull into the footwell (go careful the wires are very thin so pull gently and make sure they don't snag on the metal):
eee634cb.jpg

Step nine: stick the strip to the dash using the sticky back provided on the strip:
c85bef2a.jpg

Step ten: tidy up cables and put panel back on:
b008a779.jpg

Step eleven: passenger side now, splice into the cables that YOU HAVE INSTALLED as these are thicker than the originals and tbh when/if you remove you don't want 4 slices in the insulation when you only necessarily need 2:
584f2b7d.jpg
80525f0c.jpg

And also tape the cables to the original cables like so to prevent it catching on the popper that clips the pillar trim on:
4d8ff25c.jpg

Step twelve: Remove the passenger a-pillar trim and Route the cables along the headlining just by tucking it in and run down the passenger a-pillar:
678b2406.jpg

Step thirteen: Now remove passenger side cover and route cables the same as drivers side:
24bb6eea.jpg

Step fourteen: Mount the strip and tidy up:
b699e9d8.jpg

Step fifteen: Stand back and admire your work:
2df971e1.jpg

Good luck and hope this helps. (I also done one on my old Ibiza for door handle lights: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=342665)

Sam.

kiddi125

will these lights come on when you unlock the car and fade out with the interior light? i dont really want them on all the time, just on a lock/unlock basis and when you turn the interior light on, these come on aswell? going to be doing this at the weekend, lights and cable has been ordered.

lusty2zero

Nice one Phill personally I would of run the wires behind the carpet along the firewall rather than going all the way over the roof but at least I know where the feed is for the interior light to the lock as I want to put some rear lights in can't understand why they don't have them.My one has no boot light either bloody annoying. Great feature thanks:)

bigRobbo

i have tried this and it doesn't work?? the red/black wire is always live and the black/brow wire becomes live when the light turns off

Help?:cry::stars:

Robbo

bigRobbo

i have 3 wires going to the light, brown , brown and black and red and black & i have tested all the wires brown is earth, red and black is always live and brown and black is live when the light is off ??? :wtf:

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
I think you'll find that the 'live when off' is reading through the bulb, and is earthed to switch on. If you want to try it, but play safe, earth it through another bulb, and see if the internal light comes on.

bigRobbo

to try using the wire what is live when turned off?? as a live?? but means it will turn the led on when the light is off ?? pi$%ing me off man! [:@]

bigRobbo

yeah never throat of that i will try tat tomorrow after work :) thank you let you know how it gos :D

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Further - if the wire is as suspected, use the live and 'live when off' as your connections. This should be the same as wiring directly across the courtesy light bulb.

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Sorry, me again! (Can't find the 'Edit' button). After more thought, the wiring above would include the timer module, so it wouldn't be across the bulb as stated - apologies! To use the timer function, you'd have to go into the light housing to pick up the bulb feeds. Things ain't as simple as they used to be:-(

SteveMk4

5 Door 1.2
Dec 10, 2012
Laois, Ireland
Great job on the guide mate, just ordered some lights there now on Ebay. Have plenty of clips and dual strand cable so thats a job for me over the next few weeks when i have time. Coilovers the main priority right now though :) +1

SteveMk4

5 Door 1.2
Dec 10, 2012
Laois, Ireland
Hmmm...Im not sure about door handles. really just wanted the footwells to have a bit of light when i drop my phone on the floor and not spend half an hour looking for it. :p

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members