GUIDE: Removing rear wiper

Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
Well here is my attempt at a 'sticky' :D

This is for those who hate the rear wiper and how it makes the back end look uneven.

So this is what we start with...

IMAG0307.jpg

First pop this bit off by pulling from the bottom...

IMAG0309.jpg

Then remove this nut (13 i think)...

IMAG0310.jpg

Now we need to take the arm off and it isn't easy - it's on splines and it will have 'bonded' itself. Stick some WD40 in there and then use a pair of pliers like so...

IMAG0311.jpg

Now it's time to open the boot and remove the motor. First take out these two screws...

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

Then give the plastic a good tug and it will come off the poppers - you should be left with this sight...

IMAG0315.jpg

Remove the circuit block and the washer pipe...

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

Once you have removed the washer pipe it is a good idea to find something to either block it or cover it up or do both. I used silicone to block it and then put a bag over it and tied it on tight.

Now you just need to take off the three nuts and the motor will fall...

IMAG0316.jpg

Now at this point i'm hoping you've found something to fill the hole with - I bought a blanking plate from ebay, but you can just as easily use a grommet from your local electrical store...

IMAG0320.jpg

Put the plastics back together and you're done.

And now my rear end looks like this...

IMAG0327.jpg

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I know what im doing next, never did it on my Pre-FL Leon

I never used the rear wiper so it makes sense

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
:clap: There's my Saturday morning planned for next week! Thanks a lot!

Again, a link to the blanking plate would be great, if you'd be so kind once you get home!

:D

EDIT - Do you not get an error for the cables being disconnected? and what did you attach the blanking plate with?

Danke!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
Link as requested...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290743409496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This guy sends a 'fitting kit' which consists of clear plumbers silicone and an earbud!!!

The plate basically fits from the inside and you just put the silicone around the lip and hold it to the glass for a few seconds (it's also a snug fit so will stay there on its own). I put some selotape on to keep it there when i put the plastics back on.

No errors from the cable.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Link as requested...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290743409496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This guy sends a 'fitting kit' which consists of clear plumbers silicone and an earbud!!!

The plate basically fits from the inside and you just put the silicone around the lip and hold it to the glass for a few seconds (it's also a snug fit so will stay there on its own). I put some selotape on to keep it there when i put the plastics back on.

No errors from the cable.

Thanks a lot! Can't wait to get this done!:funk:

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Here's another question...

Where's the pump for the rear wiper? Is it with the motor you've taken out?

Just thinking that if I accidentally hit the rear spray, is it going to end up trying to push the fluid through a blocked tube, and wreck the pump?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
I couldn't tell you - but are you going to 'accidentally' hit it for any length of time that will knacker the pump?

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
That's a good point well made mate, I don't think so!
Well I'm ordering the plate now anyway! I wonder how quickly it'll arrive?...:drive1::bounce:

I don't want to fill the end of the tube with silicone though, so I'll have to think of a different method of plugging it!:confused:

Seat racer

vagcom owner
Jun 7, 2012
renfrewshire
i think the pumps under the bonnet, its just a pipe that goes to the tailgate, blank of the pipe with a small bolt inserted into tube etc

cal

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
I ordered the blanking plate just yesterday and it arrived this morning! :-o

I'm going to fit it now, I'll only end up spending more money if I sit here on the computer!

Standby for update ;)

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Done! Took me just under an hour to do. Most of that was spent umm'ing and ahh'ing about how to plug the washer fluid pipe.
I settled on a 'non-return' valve for a fish tank! It needed a bit of tape around the end to make it wide enough to plug the gap, as the pipe is slightly bigger than that on a fish tank!

One thing I did notice was that when the blanking plate was pushed fully in, it wasn't totally flush on the outside of the window, so I had to do a bit of fiddling to get it flush, then just filled around it with silicone to make sure no water or dirt gets round it, and voila!

blanking.jpg

There's a bit of silicone left around it, but I'll wait until it cures and use IPA to get it off.

:clap:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Took around 10 mins for me , I didn't bother to plug the tube I just tucked it away. I have never used the washer fluid in my car during the 5 months I have owned, including the front screen. It never gets dirty enough to use it, plus I wouldn't as it scratches the screen wiping muck and grit back and forth !

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Took around 10 mins for me , I didn't bother to plug the tube I just tucked it away. I have never used the washer fluid in my car during the 5 months I have owned, including the front screen. It never gets dirty enough to use it, plus I wouldn't as it scratches the screen wiping muck and grit back and forth !

I think i will plug the tube, i seem to keep hitting the lever and spraying it when i don't mean to :(

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
I didn't plug it for that reason, if i hit the stalk accidentally then it's going to push water down the tube and pressure will build up as it has to go somewhere , so it will either force the plug out and leak anyway or it will split the pipe somewhere or damage the motor... I'd rather have a bit of water dribble out the end but that's just me. Great mod though, makes a world of a difference :D

YCMMEI

can i just remove the wiper without removing the motor all togeather? will this still be okay?

swedey21

Most days i drink meths..
Nov 15, 2011
burford
One thing I did notice was that when the blanking plate was pushed fully in, it wasn't totally flush on the outside of the window, so I had to do a bit of fiddling to get it flush,

I've modified them now so it sits slightly proud when fitted..so you can adjust how high/proud you want it fitted.
As Some windows are slightly thicker than others across the range.

As to what to do with the pipe...get some fish tank tubing and run some to the front of the car and fix a T peice and at the end of them fix a couple of window screen washer jets and spray onto your intercooler....ideal for those traffic light grand prix..
:D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members