Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

GUIDE: Replacing Blower resistor pack. (Climate controlled units only)

Discussion in 'Mk4 Ibiza Guides (6L) 2002-2008' started by fuzzy232, Dec 11, 2011.

1. sergiupapuc

sergiupapuc Guest

Hello,

Anybody know how this could be changed in Seat Ibiza Cupra 2010 (6J1 ; MK5) ?

2. Sweep

Sweep Guest

This guide was a great help. Even though mine is the standard resistor pack, it is the same procedure to replace.

A right PIG to change though as you need REALLY small hands to get in there. :)

Simon.

3. fuzzy232

I snapped all mine and had to plastic weld it back up . Who ever designed it needs sacking lol

4. beemerich

beemerich Active Member

Blower removal without dash removal - Ibiza Mk4

That's what the Haynes manual says. However, it is actually possible to do it WITHOUT removing the dash. I've just done it. I had a dead fan, thought it was the resistor pack (actually a thyristor controller on the Climatronic cars), but stupidly didn't check the voltage at the fan first - really dumb, I know, but it's been a while...

Anyway, once the back of the glove box is out, it is possible to remove the metal bracket behind the glove box. There are three torx headed self tapping bolts at the back of the glovebox that need to come out, then the two T27 torx bolts holding the bracket into the dashboard crossmember. Then there are the four small T15 screws holding the fan housing into the ducting. The bottom right one is very difficult to get to - but the torx screws have a 5.5mm hexagon head which makes it easier to remove. I had a set of ignition spanners which fitted. It might be possible to make it work with a 6mm at a pinch. Finally, with all those removed, it is possible to pull and twist the fan out of the ducting. It takes some time, and quite a bit of violence with regards to the back of the glovebox, but it can be done. I managed to pull the glovebox forward, get the bottom of the fan out, then pull it down. Once clear of the dasboard cross member, the top of the fan housing can be pulled towards you, and the whole thing will come clear.

Turned out one of the springs on the fan motor brushes had broken / disappeared. So no current to the armature, infinite resitance on the motor contacts measued that before I removed it).

Hope this helps someone before they decide to take the whole of the inside of the car apart. I'm goint to try and take pictures as I put it all together. That might also help to show how it all works.

5. S7UYJ

S7UYJ Active Member

Decent guide, thanks, does anyone have a decent link or part number for the resistor? There are that many on ebay its difficult to be sure which one is right!

6. Badger

Badger Active Member

7. S7UYJ

S7UYJ Active Member

Awesome cheers, fingers crossed it sorts mine out!

8. overdoze

overdoze Active Member

Hi, is anyone able to confirm that the resistor is accessible from behind the glovebox on a mk5 (2011) Ibiza with manual controls?

#28 overdoze, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  9. Thompa93

Thompa93 Active Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but im doing this on the wifes car and iv got the resistor off n unplugged but can someone please tell me how the **** you get it out? Its too big to fit out either the top or bottom..... My hands are cut to pieces, i have small hands but jesus christ you need a childs hand to fit, any help would be appreciated

10. overdoze

overdoze Active Member

Do you have a climate controlled unit or manual controls? I have recently replaced my manual controlled blower resistor, it was a squeeze but it does come out. I got it out from the top... took quite a bit of manoeuvring and patience, but got there eventually.

11. Thompa93

Thompa93 Active Member

Its got climate control, i have tried every way possible to get it out but its just no possible, its much bigger than both holes top n bottom, not like it says in the guide that it will just pull out, im going to end up smashing something

12. lm_92

lm_92 Active Member

I'm having a lot of trouble simply removing the plug from the blower motor (with the blue and red wire). Is there a particular trick to this? It looks simple but I just can't get the damn thing out! :p. Thanks in advance!

13. Snork

Snork Active Member

Amazing, Thank you

14. Mr.Burr

Mr.Burr Active Member

I'm in the process of switching out my resistor and can't pull it through the mounting hole into the pollen filter cavity or take the plug off the top through the top of the glove box!
    Any suggestions or ideas on how to release the cable plug?
    Thanks.

15. bc73

bc73 Active Member

Hi All, I have a slightly different problem. I left for work this morning and all was well stopped to get a coffee and when i started car again climatronic unit just doesnt light up, could someone tell me which fuse to check and where it is please.There is still heat coming through. thanks in advance Col

#35 bc73, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  16. wibblewoss

wibblewoss Active Member

Hi, could anyone tell me the difference between the 3 part numbers which are either 6Q2907521, or the same with A or B on the end? I've got a climate controlled unit as described in the guide. There's plenty of B's for sale on ebay but not many standard 6Q2907521 so I'm just wondering if they're all interchangable.

Cheers!

17. faysal

faysal Active Member

hey what about the heater core? should i disassemble the whole dashboard?

18. Supercharger

Supercharger Active Member

Just registered to thank the OP for his guide. Was a @€#&€@ job but succeeded in the end with an intact filter housing.

Some tips that may help others:

My regulator fixed screw with a T10 screw. Used three connected extensions to have enough reach and flexibility to loosen the screw.

To get the regulator out you have to wedge in a small metal piece to widen the opening of the filter housing. This makes it 10x easier to get the regulator in and out the housing.

#38 Supercharger, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  19. Supercharger

Supercharger Active Member

Just Squeeze the tabs on the wide sides

#39 Supercharger, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  20. osirisd

osirisd Active Member

Hey guys, does anyone know if the resistor pack is in the same position for an Ibiza 6J model(automatic AC of course)?
    I saw that someone else asked the same question but didn't get an answer so far. Thanks in advance!