GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Satnav MFD2/MFD3

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Hi Dan not sure if anyone else may have asked this already, but do you have any more info on removing the heater unit and the other silver part over the dials. Also do you know if all the silver parts come completely separate from where they are attached, i.e. does the silver fascia come off the radio and the heater etc.
Many thanks.

danston

hey, just wandering if one of you good folk that are running igo.8 etc (i have 8.3) could point in the direction of the speed cam program to download and perhaps a slight hint as to how to do it. im assuming i svae it and then copy to my sd. any help apprictated.

dan

wesbar

Nov 22, 2009
Just wondering if this guide would be applicable to the facelift leon? I've got a brand new leon fr tdi and wouldn't mind having a go.

rikwandi

Mar 9, 2010
The Hague, Holland
Hi guys,

Quick question, I just installed the RNS look SatNav on my Leon Sport 2006. All features work fine, but I'm wondering is the unit indeed off if the engine is off and ignition key on the first position?

The original CD/radio unit that I had before was able to be on even when the keys are taken from the ignition.

I'm wondering whether this can also be done with the new unit?

Many thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Irvan

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
hey, just wandering if one of you good folk that are running igo.8 etc (i have 8.3) could point in the direction of the speed cam program to download and perhaps a slight hint as to how to do it. im assuming i svae it and then copy to my sd. any help apprictated.

dan

Hi Dan did you get any luck with this after, i too will be in the market soon to get such information, i see pocketgpsworld do a download, maybe we could go halves ;)

Let me know if you found anything

Cheers

Dai O

gazminleon

Hello all, informative topic.
I have found a RNS510 MFD3 on eBay that I would like to fit in MY07 FR TFSi.
- I am not clear if the factory fit iPod functionality will still be basic (no track names, behaves like a multi-changer) or will it show track names?
- I am also not clear if when you mention the clock disappearing you mean on the dash display (I have the small none-BT display) or on the actual head unit?

Apologies if I am going over old ground I may have missed.
Thanks

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Hello all, informative topic.
I have found a RNS510 MFD3 on eBay that I would like to fit in MY07 FR TFSi.
- I am not clear if the factory fit iPod functionality will still be basic (no track names, behaves like a multi-changer) or will it show track names?
- I am also not clear if when you mention the clock disappearing you mean on the dash display (I have the small none-BT display) or on the actual head unit?

Apologies if I am going over old ground I may have missed.
Thanks

it will still be basic unless you fit the mdi kit (ask nickp for details).
and the clock shifting is on the large mfd in the dash.
chris

gazminleon

Hello again, thanks for your response Chris.

Just to confirm, is the under seat ipod connector NOT the mdi kit and I will have to install arm-rest and kit??

It's getting expensive...

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Hello again, thanks for your response Chris.

Just to confirm, is the under seat ipod connector NOT the mdi kit and I will have to install arm-rest and kit??

It's getting expensive...

the mdi media kit is over and above the basic aux input the mfd3 gives. there is additional cost for this. google 'vw-mdi-media' for more bumph.

you basically slide out your head unit and put the mfd3 in, plug and play. the ipod dock will play exactly as before, selecting 'aux' under the media tab.

gazminleon

Hi Chris,
I don't think I was clear.
I currently only have the under seat iPod connector and standard stereo, no cd multi-changer. I assume from looking that the mdi can replace the under seat iPod connector or does it fit somewhere else, I don't know where a multi-changer would be fitted???
Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks again.
Gaz

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Hi Chris,
I don't think I was clear.
I currently only have the under seat iPod connector and standard stereo, no cd multi-changer. I assume from looking that the mdi can replace the under seat iPod connector or does it fit somewhere else, I don't know where a multi-changer would be fitted???
Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks again.
Gaz

the mfd3 can have one extra source; cd muti-changer, standard fit usb, standard fit 3.5mm jack aux in, ipod dock (which you currently have), tv tuner, mdi kit etc etc.

your right in thinking you can have only one of the above, which ever one you choose. so the mdi kit would replace the ipod dock.
i think nick has his new mdi dock in the glove box and all the new gubbins under the dash behnid the glove box.

Dinger1982uk

Hi all I'm looking at buy an MFD3 of ebay for my 2010 TSI Cupra. I can afford one of the really expensive one so I was looking at spending aroud £450. There are plenty on ebay which is not a problem. My problem is I don't know if information will be displayed on the information screen next to the speedo I think its refferred to as the DIS or MFD. I read alot on here about the clock shifting and being of the screen. I would be grateful if anyone had any experence and information they could share.
Cheers Guys
Dinger.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Hi all I'm looking at buy an MFD3 of ebay for my 2010 TSI Cupra. I can afford one of the really expensive one so I was looking at spending aroud £450. There are plenty on ebay which is not a problem. My problem is I don't know if information will be displayed on the information screen next to the speedo I think its refferred to as the DIS or MFD. I read alot on here about the clock shifting and being of the screen. I would be grateful if anyone had any experence and information they could share.
Cheers Guys
Dinger.

I have tried and failed to fit a SEAT RNS510 unit into my FL 2010 Leon FR. The problem is that you need version C software to be installed to work with the MFD. So the latest VW RNS510 with version C software will work. As long as you do not mind the VW splash screen.

But the SEAT version is still B and will work fully with the pre FL version only and the latest software will not work?install on with it. You can use the Skoda software but then you have Skoda logo's on start up.

Only other suggestion is to get an RNS310 but there are next to none on the market and I would expect £800 from a dealer as a spare part.

The only other option is to get one of the Chineese copy unit's as there is a version for the MK6 Golf out from Witson and does have full MFD compatibility. A SEAT version is supposed to be on the way..........