GUIDE: Reverse Switch

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Now if like me you have the 5 speed manual box and you now how no reverse light this is the guide for you ;)

Disclaimer; i do not take any responsibility for this guide, or any damages/actions that may come out of following it. Follow at your own risk and use your own common sense.

Check first your fuse + bulb, if these are okay, its most likely (not definately) the reverse switch on the gearbox.

Tools;
SAM_1777.jpg
Cuppa Tea
SAM_1778.jpg
Wire ( i went 5amp)
SAM_1780.jpg
Scissors, wire Cutters and crimping set
SAM_1782.jpg
Connectors, i originally went with 2 bullets and 2 inline however i changed to 4 bullets in the end.
SAM_1779.jpg
Insulation tape :)

(continued in next post)

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Now, parts to order, i ordered parts from Dave @ Sere motors
Check this link. Ask Dave for a price update and order!

Due to the switches having pre-soldered terminals you cannot get the wire out of the other switch so a new one is needed.

First of all sit down, and work out a diagram, mine looked like this: (bear in mind i changed the inline connectors to bullet connectors after.
SAM_1786.jpg

Cut two lengths of wire and add the connections on each end,
SAM_1785.jpg

(HINT: I found it easier to put the bullets on the 5amp wire and put the larger connectors on the wire from the switch and the wire from the car loom. )

Once you have connected the wire to the connections by crimping, wrap the wire and connections in insulation tape. Then go outside and find the culprit which has made you do this to begin with.

SAM_1787.jpg

To find this switch, look on the right hand side (looking at the engine) under the starter motor, that is the black switch that you need. Unclip it and cut the wire, leaving as much as possible in the engine bay, it makes it easier the more wire you have. (Something i didn't realise).

SAM_1792.jpg
The switch.

I used the scissors to strip back as much as the black plastic sleeving around the wires as possible inorder to give better room to work. Also putting the car in 4th gear gets the selector fork (silver bar) out of the way giving you a bit more room for hands!
SAM_1789.jpg

(continued in next post.)

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
Now with your new wire, push it in the new switch and attach the connectors for the bullets on to the wires.
SAM_1794.jpg
(pre soldered terminals on wires)
SAM_1795.jpg

SAM_1796.jpg

SAM_1797.jpg
Remember insulation tape is your friend :)

Now you are ready to go and attack the car, plug the new switch in, if it dont fit, get a screw driver and slide the purple plastic clip (inside the switch) across, then try again. Next connect up what you have and add bullet connectors to the red and black and blue and black wires. Now these must go back on in the same order they came off, if you have not taken note of what went where already on my car the wires were:
  • Port 1 - Blue and Black
  • Port 2 - Red and Black
If unsure then check the wires in your old switch!

SAM_1792.jpg

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
SAM_1793.jpg

Remember Sere Motors is your friend ; Free key ring from Dave ;)

Once you have added the connectors and put them together, turn the ignition to second position and put the car in reverse now go and check that your light works. Hopefully so !

Go and tidy up the connections with insulation tape and cable tie the wires out the way of any moving parts then you are done.

Next, make a cup of tea and brag to everyone how good you are :)

Sep 23, 2009
Bedfordshire
UPDATE:

Since doing this guide i have changed almost every connector! Due to the wire i brought being slightly not thick enough to stay in the connectors once crimped. So this morning i resulted to soldering some of the connections as it stopped working! My advice to anyone attempting this, if you can solder, do as much soldering of joints as possible, its so much more durable!

thehbd

Mar 30, 2016
UPDATE:

Since doing this guide i have changed almost every connector! Due to the wire i brought being slightly not thick enough to stay in the connectors once crimped. So this morning i resulted to soldering some of the connections as it stopped working! My advice to anyone attempting this, if you can solder, do as much soldering of joints as possible, its so much more durable!

Hey man, thanks for your guide, but for some reason the photos are no longer available to see, is there anyway to see them again with the guide?