1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Guide To Fix a Broken Electric Window Switch!

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk3' started by A.m.C_Ibiza1, Mar 24, 2009.

1. A.m.C_Ibiza1

thats the same prob i had! if u take the switch apart u wil find one or 2 of the discs a funny orange colour! eventualy it wont contact atall!

2. venner

venner Drives Ibiza Cupra T

Great guide thanks just what i was looking for :)

Going to have a go at it in abit as my passenger window doesnt always go down from the driver side switch

3. venner

Ok might seem a silly question but how do i remove the switch from the door?

What part of the door do i have to take off? As i dont want to break anything i would be grateful if any1 can help

4. A.m.C_Ibiza1

basicaly u just need to pop the plastic handle off, first remove the one around the silver handle, it will just pop off, slide somthing small behind if u cant get a grip! And then pull the long plastic part over the switches. Again it will just pop off!

5. venner

Ok thanks will try that but for now the switch is working again as i put some WD40 down there so until it breaks again im leaving it alone :)

6. dave_6

dave_6 Active Member

Mines still working ok aswell! no issues at all since the wd40 spray down there! have to be more careful not to get them wet in future though

7. venner

Well thats good news as been 3months since u used the WD40 :)

8. Big_A_Cupra20vt

Big_A_Cupra20vt Active Member

i have same problem but anyone know if its possible to get hold of the disks? or will i need to buy new switch units as 2 of the disks have actually split on mine so for now i swaped the switch from passenger side to drivers it works opposite but at least i can use my window although the missus does get pissed off she cant use hers :D

9. Nimshoi1

Nimshoi1 Guest

Outstanding bit of info.
    I had this problem at weekend and this thread saved me £17.50 + VAT x2
    Many thanks :funk:

10. D--R--E--W

D--R--E--W Active Member

thanks mate ;)

11. Finbow20vt

Finbow20vt Guest

i would just like to thank this thread for curing my anger at my windows :) sweet guide!!!

12. AlexGSi2000

Thanks for the guide!

Just done mine, works perfectly now.

13. Trips

Trips Guest

Stripped my switches apart a year ago to sand the rust off the contacts. The whole circuit board on both driver-side switches had pretty much corroded over, but with a bit of strategic scrubbing, got them into working order again.

Well, another year comes around and they've conked out on me again. Same deal, only this time one of the switches had corroded so much there wasn't anything left to salvage :/ It got me thinking, if these things are so susceptible to moisture damage, then maybe it would pay to waterproof the circuitry with some cling-film or something?

14. Adam R

Adam R Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word

clingfilm would be awful as it would just cause condensation buildup which is a nono!

best thing to do would be to carefully tape up the contacts then use a resin type glue and cover the whole board in it... leave it to cure then carefully apply it to the metal disks where no contact is made...

this would eliminate the board from getting moisture damage :)

15. Trips

Trips Guest

I did think that about clingfilm :)

Resin might do something but would also probably impede the disks from clicking down as they should, and if leaving the contact areas open it's still prone to the same problems. Bloody electrics!

16. Adam R

vasalene or how ever you spell it ;)

it will keep out the moisture, and still able you to click :D

17. Trips

Trips Guest

Aha of course ! Top job [B)]

18. John1989

John1989 Guest

My toledos passenger side window is going down but not up again.. does anyone know will this fix work for a toledo aswel? It has a different switch than the one in the pics and i dont want to start pulling it apart incase this wont work! Any help appreciated :)

Its a 99 model btw!

19. A.m.C_Ibiza1

It might work but it sounds to me like perhaps somthing has broken on the switch! It's not hard to pop apart and have a quick looksie tho!!

20. Adam R

hows the beast by the way ?
    did you raise the suspension up at all since you initially put it on ?