Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Half F2 rally car half road car - Ibiza 16v

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk2 (1993-1999)' started by C11PRA DC, Mar 3, 2013.

1. gtikezz

It would be great to get it in the mk2 line up at inters if it was possible to get it there :D Weve been discussing this in a mk2 group , it would be great to see it :)

2. keefr22

keefr22 Guest

Just joined today, started looking through the forums & this is the first thread I've read - what a brilliant car - brilliant if a little weird! Never seen it before, but I think it's great - does it actually drive? (or is that a particularly stupid question - looks like it reversed off the trailer OK!!)

keef

3. C11PRA DC

Welcome!

Yeah it runs fine but Iam sure used to drive better due to the current flatted tyres, stiff clutch and the fact half of it is now oversized rally spec (plus the deliberate temporary removal of various vital mechanical parts by myself).

DC

#23 C11PRA DC, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. keefr22

keefr22 Guest

Thanks for the welcome! I bet it would be, er, interesting round a track....!! :)

5. cupra.al

would definately be worth bleeding the brakes and clutch.

6. roly

roly midnightmotors.net

Here's a few pictures i managed to find at work after a bit of digging around

These were taken on 12th september 1999 when we (The Motorist Centre) borrowed the car and Seat hospitality unit for a display we were putting on at a celebrity golf tournament.
    From what i can remember this can't have been to long after it was built and it had a couple of miles if that on the clock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flyer was from 2003/2004 i think when it initially went up for sale at a Seat UK used car auction.

[​IMG]

7. C11PRA DC

Amazing! - Very shiny - thanks for sharing!

Was everything working/connected electrically back then?

DC

8. Water Boy

Water Boy From the land Down Under.

Thats awsome!

9. C11PRA DC

Hi all,

The cars tucked away at the mo but I have been doing a couple of things and have some images to share!

The interior is filthy but only seems to need a clean as everything is almost new underneath the grime.

Started with the steering wheel which I removed and carefully cleaned with Raceglaze leather cleaner. Standard 16v leather/red stitching which is reasonably rare but this one even more so as it really is as new.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. C11PRA DC

I wanted to make a start on giving the engine some TLC so purchased some service items:

[​IMG]

The engine looks immaculate underneath the factory preservative wax and layer of grime. There's some very light oxidisation on some of the cast parts but I found this wipes away with some light oil. So impressed with the condition - all the the nuts, bolts and zinc coated parts have retained their original finish. I'd like to give the engine a detail but want to make sure I don't destroy the finishes or remove the preservative.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#30 C11PRA DC, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  11. Dave_R

Dave_R Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo

Been waiting for some progress on this! Looks like its just come out of the factory once its cleaned up.

Can this ever be road legal? The tyres can't be for sure as they have different size tyres on the same axle.

What's the plans? You going to get to back its former glory or break it for bits for yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 Dave_R, Apr 6, 2013
  12. C11PRA DC

Yeah progress has been slow!

Pretty sure It would be difficult to make legal though not impossible!

Wheels aside rear rally arch doesnt meet the inner arch underneath meaning you can see the reverse of the interior trim so I think this would require a rework- I'll post some pics.

Plans unsure still - just care and maintainance for now.

DC

#32 C11PRA DC, Apr 6, 2013
  13. RobT

RobT Full throttle trip

thats quite amusing about the rear arch - the real F2 cars had tubbed rear wheel arches to allow for the 18" wheels they ran - all done bespoke - sounds like yours just had some big arches welded on

There still pretty rare though! Especially in steel.

I havenot forgot about the magazine ads - got them somewhere where this car is shown

#33 RobT, Apr 6, 2013
  14. Dave_R

Dave_R Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo

It would be a shame to break the car but then it would be the shame not to use the engine either!!

With how clean your 8v is and that 16v lump being that clean it would finish your car off completely!!

Got to be tempted to use the engine for yours but then restoring the 50/50 rally car back to its glory but has a rolling shell?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ohara

ohara mk1 leon

What a buy!!

Throw up some more interior pictures..

16. keefr22

keefr22 Guest

Or find a scrap engine & just cosmetically restore it to sit in the bay? I agree it would be a shame for that motor not to get used, but then it is also a unique piece of history!!

K

#36 keefr22, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  17. RobT

RobT Full throttle trip

Personally i'd strip it for parts, you would get maybe 1000 notes for those arches from a kit car owner. I may be intetested in a bare shell also. 250 apiece for those wheels? 500 for the engine? 250 for the gearbox. Quicky adds up.

Its no use at all as it is IMO. Interesting yes, but not useable.

18. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Site Owner

What have you done with it?

19. Mysterio

Mysterio Guest

Wow that's different

20. rallychief

rallychief Active Member

You prob already know this but the G evans and H Davies competitor names on the car refer to Gwyndaff Evans and Howard Davies, who fielded a works 16v Ibiza I think in 1997and went on to a Cordoba the following year 98 and 99 if memory serves

Cheers Chris