Halogen to Led

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I would have thought that would be as simple as changing the bulb based on the link you posted. I clicked on the thread expecting you to be retrofitting the tech pack LED headlight cluster.

Short answer, yes you can change to LED lights from whatever was in before, you just need to ifnd an LED light that has the same fitting and is Canbus compatable.
I swapped the indicators on the rear of my car for LED, nice little upgrade for the sake of £20. I dont know how you change the lights on a car that doesnt have the LED headlights as the LED headlight cluster is all one unit.

Reactions: Alexander I

Alexander I

Sep 9, 2019
I would have thought that would be as simple as changing the bulb based on the link you posted. I clicked on the thread expecting you to be retrofitting the tech pack LED headlight cluster.

Short answer, yes you can change to LED lights from whatever was in before, you just need to ifnd an LED light that has the same fitting and is Canbus compatable.
I swapped the indicators on the rear of my car for LED, nice little upgrade for the sake of £20. I dont know how you change the lights on a car that doesnt have the LED headlights as the LED headlight cluster is all one unit.
Thank you for the info,

Yes, apparently you only need to replace the bulbs and you'll be fine according to this website. As noticed I'm not that knowledge into this, but I know that every country have terms and regulations regarding how high the light can light and how bright it should be, that is the main issue I need to figure out if it's legal at first.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Thank you for the info,

Yes, apparently you only need to replace the bulbs and you'll be fine according to this website. As noticed I'm not that knowledge into this, but I know that every country have terms and regulations regarding how high the light can light and how bright it should be, that is the main issue I need to figure out if it's legal at first.
From the link you posted, you are chaning the daytime running lights. I am pretty sure on the leon i rented in portugal, that had the same LED drl's.
IF you are changing the headlight/dipped beam lights then yes I would oduble check the regs in your country. Some bulbs are much much brighter due to the fact that the reflector in the headlight is designed for halogen. The amount of times i have been blinded by old cars that have put much brighter lights in their old headlights is too many to count.

Reactions: Alexander I

Alexander I

Sep 9, 2019
From the link you posted, you are chaning the daytime running lights. I am pretty sure on the leon i rented in portugal, that had the same LED drl's.
IF you are changing the headlight/dipped beam lights then yes I would oduble check the regs in your country. Some bulbs are much much brighter due to the fact that the reflector in the headlight is designed for halogen. The amount of times i have been blinded by old cars that have put much brighter lights in their old headlights is too many to count.
I see,
The reason I'm looking into this is because I talked to my local SEAT dealer and asked a quote for replacing my halogen lights with pre facelifted front LED lights. And it was around 2000 pounds .. .:/ only for the parts.

I've also looked into buying a second hand led light, but that would require coding, and other stuff that is too difficult to do.

But yes, start with DRL , then see if I should replace to LED bulbs on beam lights.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I see,
The reason I'm looking into this is because I talked to my local SEAT dealer and asked a quote for replacing my halogen lights with pre facelifted front LED lights. And it was around 2000 pounds .. .:/ only for the parts.

I've also looked into buying a second hand led light, but that would require coding, and other stuff that is too difficult to do.

But yes, start with DRL , then see if I should replace to LED bulbs on beam lights.
That sounds about right. The LED cluster from the tech pack upgrade is about £1,000.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
If you are putting Led bulbs on a halogen enclosure, they will in most places be illegal.

I went through 3 different sets of bulbs to get some that would fit in my wife's Ibiza fog lights and not be spread all over and blinding.

They are acceptable for the purpose, which is to use them as cornering lights, but I think they are probably illegal.

Count me in on the group of persons being blinded by cars with LED bulbs in halogen enclosures.

...if anyway you still want to try it, I have done some research when trying to find the right bulbs for the Ibiza fogs:

- pick a bulb where the leds position matches as much as possible the one of the regular bulb filament
- pick a bulb that only has LEDs on the sides, meaning no LEDs aiming right at the front of the car on the top of the bulb
- pick a bulb that only has LEDs 180 degrees from each other and nothing else, so... No LEDs all around, like in 4 corners
- pick a bulb that has extra filters to create a cutout that replicates the one from xenon/led headlights.

All these things might help, but never sure.

For the lights I settled with, I marked on a wall the spread of the halogens and from the 3 sets I got I chose the one that better matched it.

Good luck and... If you feel you are blinding others, do the right thing and don't put them in - that is why I had to give 3 tries with the Ibiza till I found the right set.
The first set I got was brighter than the Ibiza Led high beams and with a longer reach :)

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I had a set of Twenty20 H7 LEDs that were in my Leon SE I gave away to someone at the Doncaster meet earlier this year. I noticed that as headlights not only did they blind everyone but their performance on rainy nights was crap, I'd have been better off strapping candles to my car BUT they were absolutely amazing when used as full beam bulbs. The LED DRLs are very easy to fit, it's just a cup fitting you twist in and out, same for the indicators on the front too I think.

Reactions: saveoursouls

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
I had a set of Twenty20 H7 LEDs that were in my Leon SE I gave away to someone at the Doncaster meet earlier this year. I noticed that as headlights not only did they blind everyone but their performance on rainy nights was crap, I'd have been better off strapping candles to my car BUT they were absolutely amazing when used as full beam bulbs. The LED DRLs are very easy to fit, it's just a cup fitting you twist in and out, same for the indicators on the front too I think.
It was myself you gave the LEDs, thanks as you saved me from buying some.

Like you I found they weren't that great for visibility, it was like having no lights on at times.

They looked great from the outside but that's where it ended, I had to adapt the covers for the light housing and use a resistor. Found I have a leak in one of my headlights as LEDs weren't putting out the heat at the bulb to dry it out.

I wouldn't bother, buy a decent set of halogens, even then I'd not buy into the marketing around xenon look, white look, HID look etc.... I've accepted that I'm going to have yellow halogens no matter what lol

Reactions: HighFlyingBird

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
It was myself you gave the LEDs, thanks as you saved me from buying some.

Like you I found they weren't that great for visibility, it was like having no lights on at times.

They looked great from the outside but that's where it ended, I had to adapt the covers for the light housing and use a resistor. Found I have a leak in one of my headlights as LEDs weren't putting out the heat at the bulb to dry it out.

I wouldn't bother, buy a decent set of halogens, even then I'd not buy into the marketing around xenon look, white look, HID look etc.... I've accepted that I'm going to have yellow halogens no matter what lol
With you all the way, they look cool but that's where it ends, and after living with the actual LED units for the past several months there's just no comparing them to an LED bulb, and even the proper Seat LEDs on my MK3 have trouble in some weather conditions

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
With you all the way, they look cool but that's where it ends, and after living with the actual LED units for the past several months there's just no comparing them to an LED bulb, and even the proper Seat LEDs on my MK3 have trouble in some weather conditions
Yup, rain was a nightmare. Was effectively like having no lights. I have some Osram Blue Boost 5k halogen lights in at the minute and they're not great as the light output on the road seems to have been sacraficed for colour temperature. I've found around 3700k to be about the sweet spot so far. Tempted to try 4k to see how they look.

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Yup, rain was a nightmare. Was effectively like having no lights. I have some Osram Blue Boost 5k halogen lights in at the minute and they're not great as the light output on the road seems to have been sacraficed for colour temperature. I've found around 3700k to be about the sweet spot so far. Tempted to try 4k to see how they look.
I settled on a set of Philips white vision bulbs in the end, they looked whiteish and the light output wasn't crap. If the euro carparts sale is still going you could probably get yourself a set for next to nothing

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
I settled on a set of Philips white vision bulbs in the end, they looked whiteish and the light output wasn't crap. If the euro carparts sale is still going you could probably get yourself a set for next to nothing
I have some white vision ultra bulbs but had them a year, I think they aren't as effective as they once where. Replaced with Osram Blue Boost but not impressed with them.

I found the white vision bulbs pretty good, plenty of light output, still yellow but about as close as I feel you can get without having some degredation on output.

Going to see how I get on with the Osram bulbs, if I decide to take them out the white vision are going back in with the intention of getting some more Phillips bulbs at some point.

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I have some white vision ultra bulbs but had them a year, I think they aren't as effective as they once where. Replaced with Osram Blue Boost but not impressed with them.

I found the white vision bulbs pretty good, plenty of light output, still yellow but about as close as I feel you can get without having some degredation on output.

Going to see how I get on with the Osram bulbs, if I decide to take them out the white vision are going back in with the intention of getting some more Phillips bulbs at some point.
I never tried the white vision ultras only the normal white visions. I think I might've had osram cool blue inteses in as well but I can't remember. There's a chap on YouTube that compares all the bulbs against each other side by side and shows what they're like when driving, searching for Philips white vision review on YouTube should bring him up think he drives a blue Renault

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
I never tried the white vision ultras only the normal white visions. I think I might've had osram cool blue inteses in as well but I can't remember. There's a chap on YouTube that compares all the bulbs against each other side by side and shows what they're like when driving, searching for Philips white vision review on YouTube should bring him up think he drives a blue Renault
Blue Renault Mégane , as it happens I'm watching his comparison on the white vision Vs ultra on YouTube lol, there's barely anything in it to be honest. May as well go with the standard white vision for the longer life span.

Reactions: HighFlyingBird
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.