Handbrake adjustment

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
I am wanting to adjust the handbrake on my '55 plate Stylance, but can't find the adjuster. I have tried the usual place under the handbrake lever, but there is a plastic cover which slides up with the lever, which prevents any adjustment there. I have also checked underneath, and the cable goes through the floor under the back seats. The only other place I can think of is under the centre console binnacle. Is it under there, and do I have to somehow remove this, to get at the adjuster ??

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
If i've read it right, you need to remove the centre console and there should be a small nut for the adjustment

Hope this helps

5385436822_dde9ab8124.jpg

Last edited:

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi MWG,

your posts are always appreciated and pictures in them even more ...
but do me and other guys glancing over these attachments a favour and choose a more respectable image hoster next time ...
this one comes along with too many nudity ads.

thx ... Klaus

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Hi MWG,

your posts are always appreciated and pictures in them even more ...
but do me and other guys glancing over these attachments a favour and choose a more respectable image hoster next time ...
this one comes along with too many nudity ads.

thx ... Klaus

Sorry Klaus :redface: I have an ad blocker so don't see any of them

Will change the link now

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
thanks for that ... I'll delete both of my posts & noone else but us will know ... ;)

btw ... using an ad blocker myself, the explicit banners were still shown.

EDIT: hmmm ... no way to delete, so I'll just xxxxxx 'em out later ... ;)

Last edited:

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Thanks guys....but there's no need to fight over it :D:D.

However,I've just had another look and I could only see one retaining torx screw, and that was inside the centre binnacle, at the front. I assume there are some more ??

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Sorry for the delay, had a read through the procedure again and it appears i was half right.

Remove the rear covering of the central console

Place the hand brake lever in rest position.

Tighten the readjustment nut -arrow (magnifying glass)-until the lever -1- is separated from the limit -2- on the brake calliper.

The measurement -a- to the limit -2- in the left and right hand side brake callipers should not be less than 1 mm or larger than 4 mm.

The distance on one side must be more than 0 mm and not more than 3 mm.

Operate the hand brake 3 times strongly, releasing it once more.

With the hand brake released, check if the rear wheels may rotate fully. And if the clearance -a- to the brake saddle stays the same.

At a guess i'd say the panel you need to remove is No 8 :confused: apparently it just un-clips which should reveal the nut in the first pic i posted.

Hope this helps

5393359099_7de718d43e.jpg

5393381195_f4a8c77370.jpg

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Cheers MWG...I have tried to prise off panel 8 but it is very reluctant to come off, and feels as though it is about to break if I apply any more pressure. Are you sure it's not fastened on from the inside ??

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Had a read through some other procedures which involve removing that cover and it definitely isn't screwed in position

Detach rear console cover -8- using the lever -A 71101-and depending upon model, disconnect the connector from the voltage supply.

The tool it relates to is

5400733937_bd9ff36199.jpg

Gonna go out and have a look at mine, see if i can work it out...

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Numpty...cheers mate that is a big help...I was trying to get the panel off with a screwdriver, and it was just flexing to the point of breaking. Although I don't have a proper trim-removal tool, I have a gasket scraper that will probably do the job...will let you know !!

lleiro

Feb 16, 2017
Sorry to bring back an old thread. I am trying to figure out how to fix a rattle that comes from the handbrake (Rear Driver's Side).

The rattle happens because the ball at the end of the cable that connects to the ("caliper"?) is a bit loose so anytime I hit a bump it rattles pretty loudly.

When inspecting the Pass' side there is no free play on that ball.

Do any of you think that this could possibly be fixed by adjusting the handbrake as explained here or do I need a new cable altogether?

Thanks!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.