Handbrake switch location?

Simmhead

Hi all,

55 plate Toledo

Noticed a while back that my handbrake light wasn't working when the handbrake is applied. However it does come on when the ignition is first switched on. Looking under the plastic cover under/infront of the handbrake I have found a wire with a brown plug with 2 connections. However, there is no obvious switch. There is a bracket on the back of the cover that looks like it may be for a microswitch for the handbrake, but otherwise no sign of where the switch is.

Anyone any ideas?

toledo399

;)

Looking at the repair data and the parts manual is not very helpful.

From what I can see the switch is mounted on the passenger side of the hand brake under the lever. Access will require removal of the centre consol and arm rest.

The switch does not appear to very expensive probably less than £5. I cannot be more accurate as my price info is a little out of date.

Trust this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simmhead

Just braved it and removed the centre console. I can see the ratchet mechanism for the handbrake lever and all the various bits, but no switch, or any sign where a swicth might be meant to go...still curious about the mounting bracket at the back of the small cover in front of the actual handbrake lever handle...:headhurt:

toledo399

Checked my info again.

The cable to the switch appears to run from the drivers side across the top of the handbrake base plate and connects to the switch close to the actual lever. Thus the switch must be under the lever just forward of its pivot point. Whether you gain access from the side or under the actual handbrake assembly I cannot tell.

Surprisingly my service info does not include details of how to replace this switch.

Trust this helps. ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members