1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Handbrake Warning Light

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by Ebes86, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Ebes86

Ebes86 Active Member

Hi,

Looking for some advice, I keep regularly getting the the handbrake warning light flash and make a loud alarm beeping noise 3 times.

I have been told this is due to brake fluid level being low, but I have topped it now about 7-8 times in the last 6 months, surely this is not normal?

Does this mean I have a leak somewhere possibly?

Also, how do you know if a caliper has seized, what are the signs?

I think one of my rear ones may have gone, it feels as know when i'm accelerating that something is dragging me back, as though the rear brake is constantly on.

Advice appreciated.

2. bruceR

bruceR Active Member

Mate, if you've topped up your brake fluid that amount then either it was very low or you defo have a leak :blink:

3. addavis89

addavis89 Active Member

Rear calipers are common for seizing, mine did it before and then few weeks later the brake fluid started pissing out the caliper

4. Ebes86

Ebes86 Active Member

Yeah I know it was quite an obvious answer, but just wanted some advice to confirm my suspicions, thanks.

5. Ebes86

Ebes86 Active Member

Yeah I think by the sounds of it I'm having the same issue then possibly, Time to look for some replacement calipers then, I think I would prefer having 2 new ones instead of getting them repaired.

6. bruceR

bruceR Active Member

If you are mechanically minded then it's not too bad a job to strip them - see my Readers Ride - but if not them new calipers would be the way forward ;)

7. 747_727

747_727 Active Member

Ebay have some cheap rear calipers for about £45 which is a very good price.

8. Ebes86

Ebes86 Active Member

I have my limits, I'm learning and doing more things myself, but I feel this will be above my skillset, so I think I will go with the option of buying new ones, I'll check your RR out though

9. Ebes86

Ebes86 Active Member

Thanks for that, I have had a look on the bay, but I couldn't see any new ones cheaper than £85 each, but I have found a website that sell brand new ones red powder coated for £75 each

10. dgjdrummer

dgjdrummer Part-timer

A clear sign is also that the affected wheel will be considerably warmer than the non-problematic side after a decent run! Hope you get it sorted mate, my caliper cost me about £80 plus an hour's labour to fit it and do the brake bleeding.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

11. Ebes86

Ebes86 Active Member

Nice tip, I will try to remember to check that after a long enough drive. Thanks mate, I hope so too, really annoying now.