Handling & Long Bends

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
Right, i've got the following handling upgrades on my car...

FK HighSport SilverLine Coilovers (car lowered about 30mm all round)
Momo Front Upper Strut Brace
OMP Front Lower Strut Brace
Custom Made Rear Strut Brace
Powerflex Wishbone Bushes
H&R 15mm Rear Wheel Spacers

I find the car can be very easily thrown around tight corners, and small islands very nicely, however i find the car feels very unstable on a long drawn out bend.

Where other front wheel drive cars seem to glide around, my ibiza seems to feel as if it's about to let go at any minute, and i have to back off, i must say i've only noticed this more recently.

I am using Toyo Proxies T1-R's which i think are awful tyres compared to the eagle F1's i used to use, but i had the same problem with eagle F1's.

I can't seem to point my finger at what, but something doesn't seem right, i've had the tracking checked many times.

Any suggestions? :(

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Some front and rear ARB's would help out alot mate, less roll. Will keep the car ALOT more stable. Need to get some myself. In mine the car feels like the rear end goes very light and feels like it wants to step out....not good!

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Mine is exactly the same, heres my setup:

Seat / Billstien Cupra R Suspension
Neuspeed front and rear ARB's
Front upper strut brace
Rear wheel spacers
Toyo T1R's on 17's

Iv had the back end slip on me a few times and the car do sent exactly corner well at the best of times.
One of the other things iv found is that you dont get that much feedback through the wheel.

My previous car, a MK5 Fiesta Zetec S was quite frankly on rails, it was just point and shoot and you could tell exactly what the car was doing/going to do. Its played on my mind a number of times to purchase another one, just for the handling, it was only a fiesta, but my word, with the right mods it was such a drivers car.

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
Right, i've got the following handling upgrades on my car...

I find the car can be very easily thrown around tight corners, and small islands very nicely, however i find the car feels very unstable on a long drawn out bend.

Where other front wheel drive cars seem to glide around, my ibiza seems to feel as if it's about to let go at any minute, and i have to back off, i must say i've only noticed this more recently.

spot on mate this is just how mine feels and its bloody anoing that it makes you have to back off

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
?

why would you fit a RARB on a cupra? it has a built-in torsion rear ARB in the beam...

It's a proven mod to improve handling..., the rear beam isn't as stiff as you would think, the extra stiffness provided by the RARB helps too make the rear end feel more connected to the front.

JB!

Toight loike a Toiger
It's a proven mod to improve handling..., the rear beam isn't as stiff as you would think, the extra stiffness provided by the RARB helps too make the rear end feel more connected to the front.

so, in effect running two RARBs?

the beam isnt stiff to allow it to twist, meaning the built-in torsion ARB should do its job... i'd put poor "handling" in these type bends due to someone lifting off or dead rear beam bushes, as has already been said...

i dont have any issue with long speeping bends :think:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
there is an internal arb in the beam section.. something like neuspeed rear 28mm combined with 25mm front keeps it flat.. 3 position adjustable rear to dial in your preference.

rear beam bushes removed trhe massive toe change on loading the stock void bushes allow. you will be shocked how soft they are
evil to fit, but worth it. prices in badger section if interested

Tom7

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought a stiffer rear anti roll bar made the car oversteer more? Surely making things worse?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought a stiffer rear anti roll bar made the car oversteer more? Surely making things worse?

yes, thats correct.. rear arb alone will promote more oversteer particularly on lift off.

rear wheel steer i think is the main stability issue from the very soft beam bushes on long sweeping bends.

actual alignment settings, other then being said to be "ok" would help

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.