handling

robo6

Oct 14, 2013
Durham
Just wanted to start a discussion about the cars handling. There are a few reviews aroud praising the handling but I'm not impressed at all. Perhaps I've been spoilt coming from a gt86 for a short while before this, but it just seems a bit numb and boring to me.... Has anyone got any plans to upgrade suspension?

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I think the handling is pretty good overall and a good compromise between handling and comfort :)

I came from a Peugeot 306 Gti6 which was lowered 30mm, was smaller, lighter and handled very well even on standard suspension.
The problems came when driving on every day roads with potholes and speed bumps and soon gets annoying in an every day car.

Unless you spend the money and lower the car properly, I don't think it is worth it.
If it's a track car with nice smooth tarmac, then all the better :)

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
I think the handling is pretty good overall and a good compromise between handling and comfort :)

I came from a Peugeot 306 Gti6 which was lowered 30mm, was smaller, lighter and handled very well even on standard suspension.
The problems came when driving on every day roads with potholes and speed bumps and soon gets annoying in an every day car.

Unless you spend the money and lower the car properly, I don't think it is worth it.
If it's a track car with nice smooth tarmac, then all the better :)

+1, I've had sportier cars in the past, and tbh, whilst they are more fun on the odd chance you get to get out and about in them, the leon strikes a decent balance between reasonably fun and not mind shatteringly harsh.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Thats strange, as the GT86 has been aimed as a pure drivers car, with little power to enable that it should be tail happy and not hold the road to well compared to modern day technology as the likes of the Mk.3 Leon.

For me the GT86 was spoilt by it great handling for the little power it had, and for a drivers car you cant heal & toe in the GT86, yet you can in the Leon..

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
I would say you've been spoilt by the GT 86 :D

You're comparing a dedicated sports cars built for great handling compared an A to B family hatchback. I have been very impressed with the Leon loan car I have at the moment, it might only be an SE on 16" wheels but it handles very well. Not since a Mk 1 Focus have I enjoyed the handling of a normal car so much. It feels so light and nimble. I would say it is as good as the Mk 5 Golf Gti I used to have (if not as much grip). For a normal car, it's great.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
For me, it strikes a great balance between agility and comfort. Great fun when you want it, relaxed cruiser when you don't.

Having come from a Fiesta ST (which was underrated in my opinion) it's great to have additional comfort and have a car which can make long journeys enjoyable. The Fiesta was great to chuck about and loved to rev, but was noisy and not totally comfortable on long journeys.

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
Just to add to my last comment, my 1.6 Leon hire car has now been replaced by a new A3 sportback 2.0 TDI sport, and I honestly prefer the handling and ride in the Leon. Not sure whether its due to bigger wheels, heavier engine over the front wheels or setup, but the Leon was definitely more fun to drive, if it lacked the grunt of the 2.0 TDI.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
Im loving the handling of the Leon (I suppose after a KIA cee'd which was dull as dishwater anything would be an improvement) and the 1.2 up front means a lot less understeer and the ride quality is the best of any car ive had, I have yet to take it on a long journey but so far it has been comfortable....

Seanm

Jan 21, 2014
Glasgow
I came from a mazda 2 to the leon 1.2 tsi and a would say they were equal with each other on handling but leon wins on comfort (of course).

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
The Leon's handling is just like that of a VW Golf good and very predictable (ok for most buyers but also quite boring). Just like the 1P the steering just still is too light but overall I think it will be hard to find a much better fwd everyday car (in fact from all the fwd cars I drove only the Mini cooper S, Megane RS and ford focus RS handled much better the rest was on parr or worse).

Thats strange, as the GT86 has been aimed as a pure drivers car, with little power to enable that it should be tail happy and not hold the road to well compared to modern day technology as the likes of the Mk.3 Leon.

The GT86 (although far from perfect) is everything that the Leon isn't and a good driver can really get the best out of it (in fact on a track even with the lack of power it can compete with much stronger cars and will be much faster than for example a new Golf 7 GTI, which is useless on track).
At the moment there are enough options to add about 100 bhp and the car will handle it with ease .

Last edited:

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
My weekend car is a GT86, the Leon handles well for the hatchback that it is but it doesn't compare at least for me in driver involvement to the 86 and so it shouldn't really and that why I bought the Leon :) I don't intend to change it.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
a good driver can really get the best out of it

I'm sure your agree a good driver can get the best out of a 80 bhp Ibiza and on track keep up with many on the twisty bits. For me I found it boring as it was not tail happy enough for my liking with the power band to high, hence the E30 remains in the garage..

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Friend om me owns a Subaru BRZ and we installed a compressor on it, believe me tailhappy it is (although not as much a my M3 evo E30).
I agree that the Subaru/Toyota in stock trim can easily handle at least 50% extra power (as intended by subaru untill Toyota decided the GT should be a non turbo car, the japan 2.0 sti boxer with at least 300 BHP would be an easy swap).
What I meant to say is a good driver can get the best out of a GT86. This will also be the case in a Leon but the difference is that a less skilled driver will keep the Leon on the road and it will warn and forgive serious mistakes (Although not as tricky as an Mr2 or S2000, the toyota/Subaru won't).

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members