Handy things to know about your Ibiza MK5

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
I tried it the day before and couldn't get it to work following the book. All I did was got out to the car, got in, put key in ignition, and held the button for a few seconds... once I released it,it flashed.
I wonder if before I held it too long expecting it to flash while I held it down... not sure!

Mike

PS Am I the only one who reads your username as "Gareth THE Robson"? lol

Minxstie

Hello My name is Val, and I'm not a happy bunnie at the moment.... :((

Became the proud owner of a brand new Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDi Sport Coupe with many extras last September, and am having trouble with my 'Baby Blue'..... I have an engine noise that I absolutely INSIST it has had since I took possession of it, it makes this noise when I ask for more power from it, always when I press the accelerator pedal.... Took it back and Seat (Thompson&Thompson - Caldicot) said it was 'normal'...........

Been back with it twice since then after a flashing amber light came on indicating an engine fault, they had it for 4 days, then I had it back.... Same light came on last Wednesday evening, and I just lost all power in it, was pretty scary, I was in 30mph traffic at the time, and of course no brake lights would come on to warn drivers behind me....

Took the car back with this light still illuminated after an AA man came to my house and said it was okay to drive, but it would be in 'limp mode' with much less reduced power and no turbo.... Quite a journey from where I live to Caldicot..... They had it a Thursday/Friday and the weekend, picked it back up on Monday, after I had visited the Trading Standards Offices in Newport to find out my rights.... Seat in Caldicot have just reset the lights, so they are no longer on, so the problem could happen again at any time.... They cannot sort the problem as apparently the software upgrade the car needs 'to tell it how to behave', Seat have not produced yet... Meanwhile I am driving around in an unsafe vehicle, putting my passengers, other road users and myself in danger!!!!

Am wanting to reject the car outright, as I have lost all faith in the brand now, has totally spolit the new car experience for me..... :(((

Any comments??????????

Frustrated Seat owner....

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
i had issues with my car before and i phoned consumer direct and they told me i had to set them a reasonable deadline to fix my car. It also had to be fixed to a satisfactory level...if you are still noticing power loss or the car isnt as it was before, then it isnt fully repaired.

Give consumer direct a ring they where really helpful with me :)

Reactions: LeighPing1

Minxstie

Thanks Gareth,

They actually TOLD ME to my face and my partner was with me that the problem hasn't been repaired or solved, that the lights have just been reset, so I could lose all power again at any time, maybe whilst doing 70mph on the motorway this time!!!

I am feeling pretty nervous about driving it at all, there is no telling how long Seat are going to take to actually come through with the needed update to tell my car how to behave.... Sounds ludicrous when I write down what THEY actually said!!!

Consumer Direct sounds interesting....

xxVALxx

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Strange one, i've got a 1.6tdi too and i've not had any issues, well, not like this anyway.

(When i first got the car a sensor wire burnt out on the exhaust causing a dashboard light, but nothing drastic like loss of power..
that said, i did then a week and a half later get the same light for a while, followed suddenly by limp home mode and another light.. it turned out that it was the DPF that was blocked (even though the DPF light didn't come on)

I know how infuriating having issues with a brand new car can be when you expect it to just work, but now mine's sorted I wouldn't change it for the world. it's like having tough times with a lover, if you get through them it makes you stronger. :lol:

Get copies of everything from the garage when they do any work, they don't like giving you copies of printouts, mechanics reports etc, but insist nicely that you get them, especially given the issues your having and the possibility of rejecting the car.

Also, have a look through the dealer recommendations on this website, find one that's near to you if you're not happy with your current dealer.

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
oh another thing to have handy is the seat breakdown phone number... Your car is covered by them because it is new.

SEAT can not tell you that you have to put up with a ""broken"" car until they find a fix for it. you can demand a new car form them or demand a solutoion within a reasonable timescale (a few weeks). If they cant fix it within your satisfactory timescale, then you are entitled to take further action.

Let us know how you get on with consumer direct :)

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Locating Fuses and OBD-II Port
If a fuse goes or you need to plug in a laptop to your car:

To the right of the steering wheel, underneath the light switch there's a recess
04032010028.jpg

Put your hand in and give it a gentle but firm pull,

a piece that looks like this will come out.
04032010027.jpg

there're your fuses and the OBD-II port (purple thing, top right)
04032010026.jpg

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
the first time you open the fusebox area too, a little white clip will fall out. This is your fuse removal tool, its fairly hard to get the little buggers out without it !

nigelweepers

does anyone know how to remove the stereo/radio? I need to fit a bluetooth kit and dont know whether the radio surround pops off or not?

nigelweepers

Thanks MJ
I am really struggling, I have managed to unclick the left and right sides but the top/bottom wont budge. I feel that I am gonna snap it if I try any harder. is there any special tool I should be using?
it is the Wife's new car and she will kill me if I damage it...
I know it sounds trivial but I really am finding it difficult to remove the facia.
We are talking about the same bit... The black bit immediately surrounding the radio which also surrounds the CD inlet as well..

Last edited by a moderator:

Lizzie123

Hey, I've got a MK5 Ibiza Cupra and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get some inner door sill covers from... fairly cheap??

XH558

Anyone noticed that the heater fan speeds up when you select reverse??

Handy way of checking you ARE in reverse but it also prevents exhaust gasses entering the vehicle through the air bleed vents at the rear of the car......
Bloody cunning what??

storm_bay

The radio turns itself down when you select reverse on the Cupra. Very handy for the blokes!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.