Handy things to know about your Ibiza MK5

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Anyone noticed that the heater fan speeds up when you select reverse??

Handy way of checking you ARE in reverse but it also prevents exhaust gasses entering the vehicle through the air bleed vents at the rear of the car......
Bloody cunning what??

I noticed, so if it is a hot day thanks to non existent global warming and you just can't cool the car enough, pull over drop into reverse and feel the benefits, hehe.

ED

Reactions: LeighPing1

RichardA

yer its to stop the exhaust gases from being vented in to the car.

NicksGotAFR

May 31, 2007
South London
'Coming Home Function' lights

For those who have the convenience pack fitted but don't know how it works....
When parked up and ignition off (and key NOT removed from transmission yet) flash your lights once. After you have removed key AND opened the drivers door, the headlights will come back on for 30 seconds or so.
Pretty handy if you park facing your front door, rather annoying to the neighbours over the road if you dont :D

Ian McN

Mk 5 Ibiza 1.6 CR TDI owner - anyone got advice on changing the main beam headlight bulb please? - I'm wanting to upgrade the bulbs and have done so with the dipped beam and indicator bulbs but the main beam bulb seems to be 'fixed in' and does not have the usual bulb retaining clip which when unclipped from the back of the bulb frees the same for removal? Any advice would be gratefully received please! Thanks in anticipation

idomeneas

Mk 5 Ibiza 1.6 CR TDI owner - anyone got advice on changing the main beam headlight bulb please? - I'm wanting to upgrade the bulbs and have done so with the dipped beam and indicator bulbs but the main beam bulb seems to be 'fixed in' and does not have the usual bulb retaining clip which when unclipped from the back of the bulb frees the same for removal? Any advice would be gratefully received please! Thanks in anticipation

You have to pull the lamp from the bottom side and together push the lamp at the upper side. it's very easy trust me.

Ian McN

Thanks for the reply - I'll give it a go on the next light and dry evening or next weekend. Looks like you need the fingers of ET to carry out the bulb changes!!

LairyT

Claire
Jul 15, 2010
Lincolnshire
Hello My name is Val, and I'm not a happy bunnie at the moment.... :((

Became the proud owner of a brand new Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDi Sport Coupe with many extras last September, and am having trouble with my 'Baby Blue'..... I have an engine noise that I absolutely INSIST it has had since I took possession of it, it makes this noise when I ask for more power from it, always when I press the accelerator pedal.... Took it back and Seat (Thompson&Thompson - Caldicot) said it was 'normal'...........

I have a brand new 1.6TDI Sport and the engine also makes a funny sort of ticking sound, similar to how you describe, noticably so when pressing the accelerator pedal. My boyfriend was in the car when we drove it home from the dealers and he heard it too but we have assumed that it is just how the engine sounds. Not had any loss of power problems like you described, yet....

Bit concerned now so may ring dealer and ask about this. Anyone know whether this 'ticking' sound is just how the engine sounds? You can only hear it from inside the car it seems not outside.

magicoi

Aug 31, 2007
Lincolnshire
I'll jump in with u tonight lairyT and try and record. it if you like ;)

It's most noticeable in 1st and 2nd. I thought it was the injectors ticking but I'm just not convinced enough to say 'accept it

Last edited:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I've occasionally noticed what i think may be a similar noise, generally when accelerating under load/in too high a gear? so wanted to compare.

Minxstie

Hi Lairyt

Is yours an Ibiza?? Mine had a noticeable ticking noise right from the outset, I kept telling the dealer about it, but was told it was because it's a diesel and I wasn't used to having a diesel. Turns out now, almost a year later it HAS got problems with the injectors, and other problems too. I had it from new in September last year, the DPF warning light was coming on not long after and I did what the manual tells you to do, but it just came on again at regular intervals. There is a sticker in the top right of the windscreen with the symbol of the DPF light telling you to refer to your handbook if the symbol appears. It failed on me the first time with an engine fault light flashing in February, then in March, then again in April, on Saturday the 24th of April in fact, and I've been without my car since then. It was trailered away from my address to the dealership, but they couldn't put it right there so then it was trailered to Milton Keynes, where it is now, and where they can keep it, as I DO NOT want it back, would never feel safe driving it now. My ticking noise was referred to as a 'pinking noise' by the AA man that drove it around the block after it broke down the second time. When the loss of power occurs it is as if you have put it in 1st gear by mistake, it just slows right down with no warning to other road users around at the time, the second time was pretty hairy as I was in full flow traffic.

My ticking noise was most noticeable in 1st and 2nd too, but still there in 3rd, 4th and 5th, it's most noticeable whenever you ask for more power, and even while cruising along in 4th gear in a 30 mph zone, it never sounded comfortable, it would just tick away... My problems seemed to start after a certain amount of mileage and I guess an accumulation of soot in the DPF filter. Seems these diesel cars fitted with DPF's are only meant for 'long run' drivers not 'short run' drivers as the car isn't allowed to get up to the correct temperature to burn off this soot accumulation, when it's driven mostly on short runs...

I am not far away from a full refund, waiting for phone calls today.....

Minxstie

Last edited by a moderator:

LairyT

Claire
Jul 15, 2010
Lincolnshire
Yes it's an Ibiza.
It's a ticking sound that even occurs mildly while it's idling but you can only hear it with the radio off etc as it's not really loud. I'm not convinced it's a problem. I haven't fully sat in the car and just listened and investigated as to where it's coming from - will do that this weekend and will get it recorded and put on here for others to listen to.
Could just be something catching or rattling yet, not getting worried too early.

Minxstie

Hi Hairy T,

Mine was never a loud ticking, I just knew it was there and it wasn't right and I was proved right in the end. Apparently it was the injectors, there was a fault with them and they were sending an amount of fuel through to the wrong place and also using excessive fuel. But I always KNEW that the ticking wasn't right..... Led to the car failing on me in February, March and April. Watch out if your DPF light starts illuminating, it's like a square thing with holes in it, you should have a sticker with it on, on the inside of your windscreen. My car had done 6,600 miles at the last failure, but can't remember how many at the first failure.

Anyway GOOD NEWS!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!

I Have achieved a full refund, my dealer has rejected my car back to Seat, and Seat are rejecting it back to Spain I was told.... :) :D

I am now going to get a non-Seat vehicle and if I buy new again, I would buy direct from the brand, Vauxhall, Ford, Honda, etc......... Am thinking Honda Civic....

A much happier Minxstie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rainstorm4

For those who have the convenience pack fitted but don't know how it works....
When parked up and ignition off (and key NOT removed from transmission yet) flash your lights once. After you have removed key AND opened the drivers door, the headlights will come back on for 30 seconds or so.
Pretty handy if you park facing your front door, rather annoying to the neighbours over the road if you dont :D

so are you saying that follow me home works even without the package?

i tried on my cupra but they didnt come up.. :S

edit: missread! pardon me and ignore me!

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I also noticed this week-end, for those with DSG, that if you have the car in any other gear other than "P" you will not be able to start the car. I lie, I didn't actually test if it would start in "N", but I accidently forgot the car in "D" mode and when I tried to start it the next day nothing happened. All the lights came up on the dash etc but no start. Needless to say I started panicking and by pure chance happened to glance down at the gear stixk and noticed it in "D", shifted to "P" and hey presto!!!! Must admit, I think it is a pretty handy feature if you forget to depress the brake when starting the car and then suddenly lurch forward into whatever may be infront of you hehehehehehe

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
People with auto folding mirrors, if you're driving along above a certain speed and you turn the dial they won't fold up, even when you come to a stop.

Makes me think, if they know you're going too fast to fold them up, there must be a way to use the same system to make them fold down when you go above a certain speed? (i tried, they don't :-()