Handy things to know about your Ibiza MK5

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
thats a bit of a let down thanks for the reply though deano the engine does seem to warm up a lot quicker than the pd engine which is a bonus.

When you start the engine from cold - it will rise up to 1000rpm.

When it is around the correct temp the idle will drop to 800rpm

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
thats good to know.
do you know if the vagcom lead used in the mk4 ibiza will plug into the mk5?
also has the vagcom software been changed to include more stuff for the newer models or will my old vagcom be ok used in the mk5 ibiza?

If the lead you used for the MK4 is a canbus lead then it will work.

The MK5 has a canbus system.

The software has been updated but if it is Rosstech software the updates are free.

pmar8763

a few days ago my windows stoped closing when i press the key fob (remote window opening/closing function)
i drive a ibiza 2011 and i havene a clue what do do any ideas

Alan Kyp

Old Farts ****
Feb 15, 2014
Cornwall
Worked this out today-with lights off the speedo needles are illuminated and when dark or low light there is no backlighting to the speedo or rev counter,but when its light the back lighting is activated getting brighter as the ambient light increases....cool.
there appears to be a light sensor in the speedo

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Worked this out today-with lights off the speedo needles are illuminated and when dark or low light there is no backlighting to the speedo or rev counter,but when its light the back lighting is activated getting brighter as the ambient light increases....cool.
there appears to be a light sensor in the speedo

That must be a new feature on the facelift models

Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
what is really annoying have you notiched you cant launch the car.... not that I really want to but i tried it so basically brake on then rev up to 1500 then it cuts of.. wont actually launch if you wanted it to!!

Pog

New B
Apr 30, 2014
Manchester, UK
Unhelpful New Feature

I'm thrilled with my 1.2TSi DSG, don't get me wrong. And I can't wait to try the remote window thing when my wife gets back in it later, but here's an UNHELPFUL feature, at least unhelpful for DOLTS like me. Went to visit a family friend last month about 130 miles away from where we live. Packed up the boot to leave, and used that clever BOOT UNLOCK button on the fob to open the boot, you know, the one that HELPFULLY locks it for you when you shut it again? Guess where I left my keys.................!!!! I only had the car two months, it was my pride and joy. Just couldn't bring myself to put the window through, so (very patient) wife and I took 130 mile 6 hour train journey back to Manchester to get the spare set of keys. Only took a total of 24 hours to get back into the car. Seat reinvents the lock-out. Weh hey! Cheers! One feature I won't be using again in a hurry (wife has banned me) :D

Wee-nemo

'13 Cupra - Nevada White
Nov 17, 2013
Aberdeen
Nice little guide this, most of the features are of course explained in at least some detail in the manual but I know the remote windows feature certainly isn't. The dealer told me specifically not to use the boot unlock button on the keyfob precisely because of the risk of accidentally locking keys inside, good advice!

The person asking about water temp gauges, they are available but only on the portable nav unit, I'd have liked much more info on there than is available - you only get to display 2 out of 3 gauge choices - engine coolant temp, external temp, engine revs. 2 of those I can get elsewhere in the binnacle, so why not give us an oil or boost pressure gauge instead? Wasted opportunity.

Here's my tip, noticed last week. In the DSG models, if you change down manually for an overtake then return to light throttle, after a while the box will revert to automatic (D), and put you back in the most economical gear. I don't think this would happen in sport auto (S) but it certainly happened after using the paddles to drop a few cogs and get past an auld granny, then put itself back in D while I was waiting in the right gear for another overtake once clear of oncoming traffic. T'was a trifle annoying!

If you have a sunroof, the manual shows a procedure for manually closing it in case of failure of the electric motor - IIRC you remove the switch cover, and there is a bolt head with which you wind the roof closed using an Allen key. Where you get an Allen key from at the side of the road I don't know, but there you are. There's an additional 12V socket in the boot, at least on the Cupra model, presumably for keeping a cool box going or something.

Anyone noticed there's a couple of small recesses either side of the handbrake cowling, not sure what they're meant for as you couldn't fit much more than a pencil in them. Beyond that I don't think there's very much I've found that hasn't already been covered elsewhere in this thread.

Pyrres

Ibiza Cupra -14
May 2, 2014
Finland
The person asking about water temp gauges, they are available but only on the portable nav unit, I'd have liked much more info on there than is available - you only get to display 2 out of 3 gauge choices - engine coolant temp, external temp, engine revs. 2 of those I can get elsewhere in the binnacle, so why not give us an oil or boost pressure gauge instead? Wasted opportunity.

Thats actually possible with new SPS units. I checked my dealer that mine will come with the new version and I intend to mainly use water and boost gauges as my main gauges in the SPS (or oil temp and boost gauge if oil temp gauge is possible). Funny thing about the boost gauge, it shows the added boost of the supercharger and turbo at the same gauge so what I understand it shows about 2bars of boost.

joebailie

Comber Man
Jan 5, 2005
Northern Ireland
LEDs in bumper

Been on this forum site for years but rarely posted. Just picked up a 2012 Ibiza FR 2.0 after giving in my 07 leon FR. I love this mini hot hatch and this forum has proved invaluable!!

Has anyone tried fitting aftermarket LEDs in the 2 little recesses in the bumper (one beside the FR logo and the other in the same place on opposite side of the bumper) not too big. Hopefully this is gona be a future plan if I can make it work :blink:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Been on this forum site for years but rarely posted. Just picked up a 2012 Ibiza FR 2.0 after giving in my 07 leon FR. I love this mini hot hatch and this forum has proved invaluable!!

Has anyone tried fitting aftermarket LEDs in the 2 little recesses in the bumper (one beside the FR logo and the other in the same place on opposite side of the bumper) not too big. Hopefully this is gona be a future plan if I can make it work :blink:

Some have fitted DRL's to their cars - can't recall seeing them fitted in the two recesses yet.

joebailie

Comber Man
Jan 5, 2005
Northern Ireland
Cheers Deano, I do quite like the look of the DRL's but that'll be a few months off with the budget. Just sized the recesses up so now to source some LED's that'll fit! Hopefully the pic has attached properly to show everyone where I'm on about cos my explanation was wick! :(
5upehe8u.jpg

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Cheers Deano, I do quite like the look of the DRL's but that'll be a few months off with the budget. Just sized the recesses up so now to source some LED's that'll fit! Hopefully the pic has attached properly to show everyone where I'm on about cos my explanation was wick! :(
5upehe8u.jpg

Just check behind those intakes - is it not the feed for the airbox ?

If it is - you don't want to block them.

joebailie

Comber Man
Jan 5, 2005
Northern Ireland
Very valid point Deano! Will double check that first light tmw. Looks light it might not come together, trying to get decent LED's to fit there is proving tough. Hold out for headlights with integrated DRL's :confused:

joebailie

Comber Man
Jan 5, 2005
Northern Ireland
So that's the end of the LED'S in the recesses plan, those little holes go straight back to metal plus the hassle of getting the right size. Normal DRL'S it is down round the fogs somewhere.

lesm6604

Aug 18, 2014
could some please help, I just got a ibiza 2011 (chill) and i can't get my samsug phone to sync, I have tried a i5 phone, BB and HTC all to no avil. Not sure if I'm missing somthing or the bluetooth is guffed.

any help?

thanks Lesm6604

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
could some please help, I just got a ibiza 2011 (chill) and i can't get my samsug phone to sync, I have tried a i5 phone, BB and HTC all to no avil. Not sure if I'm missing somthing or the bluetooth is guffed.

any help?

thanks Lesm6604

How long are you leaving the ignition on before you try to pair the phones with the car ?

The car Bluetooth can only be paired for about a minute or perhaps two after the ignition is switched on.