-- Hankook V12 Evo or Uniroyal Rainsport 2's --

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Anyone used any of these tyres on their Mk2 Leon???

I can get a good price on them so was wondering if any of you have used them? I put Rainsport 1's on a car years ago and they were outstanding in the wet and dry. Only problem was wear but I don't do alot of miles now... about 7k a year.

Want to know if anyone had any issues or really liked if they've had them?

Hankook - http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=954

Uniroyal - http://www.conti-online.com/generat.../02_products/01_rainsport2/rainsport2_en.html

Last edited:
Not sure if the Rainsport is classed as a 'budget' tyre but I believe the Hankook is. Article in this week's Autocar suggests they are to be avoided....especially on a high performance car like the Cupra. In comparison with a reference tyre (a Continental which I don't think is the best of the 'premium' brands anyway) the performance of the 'budget' tyres was very poor. I would not compromise with tyres on any car, but especially not on a high performance one. I have Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics on my Evo and will replace the worn Bridgestones on my FR with them.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Agree with Freewheelin, and more so, if you use a cheap tyre on your cupra ask yourself what you are trying to achieve?
If you intend to use the performance of the car you may limit your ability to do so -unless you are willing to take chances with safety.
If you don't intend to use the performance.........why not a 1.6?
Would you be keen to save money on brake pads?
Find a good quality tyre and then shop around - saving that way is smart- saving by buying a less good product in a safety critical area?

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
The Hankook V12 Evo may look like a budget tyre in price, but in most (german) test's it quite good. It's not that cheap though.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/reifentest-sommerreifen-in-225_40-r-18_735985.html picture 12.
It says: Good allrounder, safe wet performance, low rolling resistance(if such a thing is possible in a225/40/18), very good dry braking performance. Not the best aquaplaning performance.

http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/en/product/tire_pcr_uhp.asp it was tested "vorbildlich" by 3 german magazines. Which is quite good.

But for the quoted price I'd still go for the Goodyear F1 Assymetric. I like this tyre, haven't tried the Hankook though.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I was getting them for around £70 a tyre so was a good deal for a tyre that gets good reviews. The Rainsports were a bit dearer but looked a good tyre.

It now looks like I'll be getting Falken FK452. Had a few sets of them on last car's and they're a good tyre. They also get good reviews.

I'd like the F1's but I'm getting 2 tyres for the price of 1 of those. A few reviews from F1 owners say the FK452 is almost as good.

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
NO DON'T, I had the falken on my chipped 1.9TDI Leon II. I don't think it can handel the power of a cupra!
On my car it was fine in the dry, but in the wet I was all over the place. Also had rather noticable cupping on the rear

The F1 Assymetrics(Not the GSD3, that's the old one) is waywayway better. Also it has a nice protection strip for the wheel. Yes it's more expensive, but to date it is the quietest tyre I've had and it feels like it's on rails.
Have had the FK452, the Sportcontact 2&3 and now the F1 Assymetric which is easily the best.
The Sportcontact 3 is nice also, it also looks nice a bit rounder. The goodyear is quite square, but better everywhere else :)

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Yes they are cheaper, but people seem to really rate them. I've read reviews from people with alot more power than the Cupra saying they were great tyre.

I do realise that the F1'a are better tyres, but at twice the price I can't justify the cost to my self.

I'm not a fast driver in the wet anyway and I found the tyres to be good all round when i had them.

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
Could be because of the diesel's torque in the lower rpm band, but every time I tried to get going in the wet the TC light would just start blinking away. Without the TC the car just wouldn't go anywhere and I'm not somebody that just drops a brick on the pedal every time I need to get going. :p

In your case I'd try the Hankook, newer design tyre(the falken has been around for some time) and by comparison it is tested better than the Falken. Although that is not always proof.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Last edited:

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
I wouldn't use the Hankook, Had a pair on the front of a 1.4MG ZR and they struggled to hold that on the road. I have a friend who swears by Uniroyal Rainsports. I've not had them myself. Also, why do you think Halfords sells tyres like Hankook on their wheel and tyre deals! Cheap crap.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
The V12's do have rim protection. I have Goodyear asymmetrics on the other car and there isn't much difference between them in rim protection.
I think the rim protection also depends on the width of the alloy and also the size of the tyre.

Last edited:

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
Hmm are there 2 versions of the tyre then? If you follow the link of my last post and click through the pictures you see a definitive difference in protection in favour of the Goodyear. The Continental is even better I know from experience but the Goodyear is a good second.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
After looking at those pics the Goodyear is definately better than the Hankook for rim protection. It wouldn't put me off buying though, I would just learn how to park.:D

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
Well the conti's protections saved me twice! Once from an idiot for whom I had to swerve and once from an idiot's dog!
It won't help with a curb, well depending on the entry angle&speed, but it's nice to have it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise