Hardest job you've done on a mk2?

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Inspired by clubpolo.... I'd like to know what are the hardest jobs any of you guys have done on the mk2? Interesting to see what people get up to / what goes wrong!

For me,

1, drilling the pedal box, because it's so damned fiddly

2, changing the front bearings, brakes, tie rod ends, ball joints and a CV joint BUT i did have a (massive) helping hand with the job.

Ant :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
turning this:
main.php

into this in a day
main.php

But changing the clutch was harder work as that was the 1st 'big' job I'd done

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
sorry, am I a fun spoiler?

changing the pads 1st time out was pretty hardcore at the time. just worked at the rest though. vario is practically a reshell

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
not enough room in this to type it all

let's just say its not hardest thing you do cos you'll do all of it - eventually

least yours was in one piece m0rk :p

MarkJ

Ibiza GTi
Mar 26, 2007
Chesterfield
I just take mine round to the missus' dad and he does it for me (free mechanic).:p So the hardest thing i have done is change the seats to Mk3 Cupra ones. About my limit :)

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Done alot of jobs that seemed hard at the time but now water off a ducks back

Swapping rear drums to discs on a 1.4
Swapping front discs from 239mm to 300mm - involved changing hubs
Changing front ARB
Cambelt on a 2.0 16v ABF
Rollcage install into the Cordy

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
End of thread ?
:)

no no, i wasn't meaning "whats the hardest thing anyone has done", i want to know "whats the hardest thing you've done"

so come on, lets have 'em. The work i've done to my car is nothing compared to what some of you guys are doing... for someone else the hardest job they've done might be, i don't know, changing a battery. Just curious to know.

Of course it depends on how much you've done to a car. Maybe the question is better asked "whats the hardest thing you've done to your car so far"

Edit, MarkJ and F2 Stu have got it :)

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
S'pose the job I did many moons ago on a morris marina ( god what a shed) replaced all the suspension 'trunions' ,...brakes , bled the system then rebuilt etc.. took it for the obligatory little blat up the road to make sure everything was good... it was all fine ..........

*apart from the fact I hadn't shut the bonnet properly, got to top of the road, it flipped open and hit the roof.. made damn sure the brakes were tested!!

other than that... Mk1 fiesta. full mk2 skirt kit, and rear lights , which entailed changing/rewireing part of the car due to the reverse lights being under the bumper on the mk1, but in the rear clusters on the mk2 and wired totally differently..

On the Ibiza.. this one.. possibly pulling some of the damage straight at the rear ready for the VIC test, on the old one.. getting a set of 1/2 leathers from a Tolly to fit..

Last edited:

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Well i found the cambelt easy on both the 8v and 16v in comparison to others ive done, swapped engines in civics but that was pretty straight forward...

i know :doh: that damn front splitter, took me a phone call to a mate to help get the corners in, and im the mechanic.... it all looked so simple :doh:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds daft and not even that hard to do but the gearbox swap

when i put the new engine/box in together it was easy with no front panel

to squeeze the box in/out whilst everything fitted was awkward getting the right angle to lift it down

MarkJ

Ibiza GTi
Mar 26, 2007
Chesterfield
Scrap my previous post, forgot that I put new seatbelts in last week, that was slightly harder that the seats. Oh well i was pleased, nothing compared to most of you guys though. :)

MarkJ

Ibiza GTi
Mar 26, 2007
Chesterfield
All apart from the drivers, was knackered (if it wasn't it definately is now):) thought i had managed to get one from scrappies but that was shagged too, so still got the black one. The others look good though, so on the lookout.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Refitting the standard airbox in the 16v, more specifically the "elastic" bands. EVERYTIME I do it, I loose a little more skin on my fingers and also manage to fracture a couple in the process

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise