Have I received a lemon?

fatal3rror

Jul 16, 2013
Hi guys,

I got a brand new Seat Leon SC 184 FR delivered in early November and it had run only about 1400 miles when I noticed some oil spillage under the car in early December. This was brought into notice of Seat Roadside Assistance and the car was promptly checked and it was decided that the best way forward is to get it into a workshop.

The car has been with JCT600 in Leeds since then. I have not had any updates from JCT600 and have had to call them to get an update. On Monday, I was finally told that they are awaiting a part (engine gasket) from Seat and they don't have an ETA. Since then, I have chased LeaseDrive and subsequently, Seat Customer Service, for an update but am yet to find out when the part will be delivered and the car returned to me.

I have been given a rental car from Enterprise but an Astra is nowhere close to the Leon!

If anywhere, I am sure you guys here would appreciate my frustration! :headhurt: Car's been gone for 10 days with no idea when I get it back!

Last edited:

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Would hardly call it a Lemon because of a simple leaking gasket?

The gasket could have got pinched during install and is now passing, its easily done.

I wouldnt worry about it....

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
My last new car (before Leon) was in 2010, when I got a brand new Mazda 3 diesel. Within 600 miles it had gone into limp mode courtesy of a shot O2 sensor. I spent 3 (maybe 4?) weeks driving around in a Clio cos the part was on back order. As Kugaman says it could well be a pinched gasket, which, depending on supply situation, may need to come in from abroad if it's back-ordered or something.

I had the same 'oh no' feeling with the Mazda, but once it was sorted, the thing ran for over 3 years without any hiccups. Although having said that, it did nearly blow itself up in the final weeks before I got rid of it, so my experience was book-ended by two sour events.

The Mazda went wrong at Easter which is a bad time, December probably pretty bad too with factory shutdowns, postal delays, etc etc. Hopefully you'll get it back sooner rather than later though :)

fatal3rror

Jul 16, 2013
The part has been ordered from abroad, just disappointed that this should happen with a new car. I hope it is just a pinched gasket as you guys say, and the car is back soon!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Its a shame but I wouldn't call it a lemon yet.

Get it back when its fixed and enjoy it when you do. Hopefully its just a one off problem for you and the last of your problems.

fatal3rror

Jul 16, 2013
Not worrying about this at the moment, it's time for Christmas!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

fatal3rror

Jul 16, 2013
Finally, the FR 184 SC came back yesterday after a 4 week stint at the workshop. The issue was with the core plug in the engine which had to be replaced. The main delay was with the part which took about 3 weeks and arrived right around Christmas time. Changing the plug took about a day!

The car's looking good for now and fingers crossed, all the work they have had to do will not lead to any more issues!