Have to 'slam' the boot..

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Anyone else find they really have to slam the boot fairly hard to get it to shut?

I've looked at the mechanism and can't see anything wrong with it.. :shrug: even sprayed everything with WD40 to no avail.. its not a new thing ever since I bought the car just over a year ago its always required a good slam to shut it, but its started to irritate me recently.

So is this pretty usual, or is there something I can do about it..

g60jonny

Probably nowt to do with your mechanism;

You shoud first check the the lock slam-plate (the bit that is fixed to the boot lip on the car not the lid) has not come loose and moved as this will in effect make the boot harder to close as the latch and slam-plate are further apart!

There are two rubber 'buffers' that are twisted into the boot lid, common on most cars.

These can be adjusted to allow the boot lid to close further into the recess and therefore allowing it to latch easier.

To adjust them, simply try turning them about half a turn clockwise at a time and shutting the boot lid again.

Hope this helps?

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
Do you know if the car has ever been rear ended? If it has the rear panel may need a bit of adjustment by sitting in the boot, putting feet on boot slam panel and pushing it outwards slightly. My sisters PUG 307 was the same. Now sorted.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Do you know if the car has ever been rear ended? If it has the rear panel may need a bit of adjustment by sitting in the boot, putting feet on boot slam panel and pushing it outwards slightly. My sisters PUG 307 was the same. Now sorted.

Don't think so, nothing in the history to suggest it. Had the bumper and boot trim apart to install parking sensors and all looked as it should.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Ibiza bump stops are square and ridged you need to put an allen key up the centre and slacken it then pull in or out and tighten one way is to close the boot with the stops pulled way out but slack then open- pull out a couple of clicks each and tighten it up

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Thanks for the pointers guys, I used an allen key to undo the screws (which looked like torx screws but with more points!) and moved the slam bar. It can be moved about half a cm. Tried a few positions and improved it slightly.. problem now is that the allen key has stripped the head of one of the screws :censored: So now its locked in that position. I will probably have to drill it out and replace it at some stage now.. stupid me! .. anyone know a good way of removing screws with stripped heads without damaging the outside? :help: lol

Didn't have time to try adjusting the rubber bump stops, but I'm hoping that will improve things further.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Adjusted the bump stops and the boot will now close with a 'firm' hand, at least its better than slamming it. Will have to do for now I guess, you still cant use the grab handle and let the boot sail down to close it however as you don't get enough force that way.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
remove rubber stop by pulling it off, remove screw from stop with allan key (up the middle). Push stop in, replace screw and rubber bit.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.