have you been pulled over for poke on your alloys?

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
right i have just been pulled over by a local policeman about my X5 alloys, now being a normal officer he wasnt 100% on the law, but he said that because they poke out they are illegal, so i said i thought you were allowed 30mm of poke from the alloy as long as the tread was within the arch.

just dont know what to do now, they are quite wide on the rear, so i dont know if i should sell them on or what.

MooRzy

May 23, 2011
Manchester
As long as the top of the tread is inside the arch i think its legal, i think its because if the tread is sticking out, then you could flick up a piece of gravel as you drive, which could fly into someones eye and destroy them ???

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
yea see that is what i said but he still thought it was illegal. i dunno, i cant be assed with hassel being pulled over all the time. so may have to change the wheels again lol.

Matt-L

Take them off and sell them to me, should sort out any issues ;)

Sep 4, 2009
Have a friend who had something like this happen to them. Something about them being a hazard as the wheels were outside of the arches.

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Put up a pic of above the arch looking down either get a few mm milled off the spacer or failing that camber the wheels slightly , with either camber shims or undo the bottom two bolts on the hub slide a few washers in each and your have camber to tuck the wheels in this is mine 9.5j et38 10mm spacer but I don't have to run any spacers if I didn't want to

5a8e75d0.jpg

0bf3d040.jpg

Selling the wheels is a big no you don't need to

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
Put up a pic of above the arch looking down either get a few mm milled off the spacer or failing that camber the wheels slightly , with either camber shims or undo the bottom two bolts on the hub slide a few washers in each and your have camber to tuck the wheels in this is mine 9.5j et38 10mm spacer but I don't have to run any spacers if I didn't want to

5a8e75d0.jpg

0bf3d040.jpg

Selling the wheels is a big no you don't need to

see my rear wheels are et33 but 10j, so are near enough the same as your rear ones, i think its the fact i have such stretched tyres on them too

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
ok i will do later or tomorrow, i have to go work in a bit, he also tried saying to me about being able to see the tread past the bumper bit, where it curves in, i was like you can see tread there even with standard wheels lol.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
is that the one where the polish chaps had customised their arches to cover the wheels, with sheet metal that could have quite easily chopped somebodys legs off if they got too close? lol

Yeh and I don't think he had a licence either!

antony-lcr

Have a read of the mot manual on the vosa site. Aslong as the wheels/tyres don't foul the arch then it's perfectly legal. The chap from vosa used this as an example on my course about how most police officers do not know the correct law's

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.