Head unit change.

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
Has anyone considered or even attempted changing the head unit on the mk 3? Some of the possibilities these units provide such as dvd players and access to apps are very appealing and the units themselves look far better than stock. Obviously the head unit already has a lot of connectivity with car functions such as the parking sensors tyre pressure sensors and numerous other warning light diagnoses among other things.

Does anyone believe it is even possible or would it just cause lead to far too many crossed wires and loss of function. Is it a step to far in improving my interior?

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
I have changed too many headunits. Replaced 5.0" screen with 6.5" and 8.0" screen multimedia system. MIB1 and MIB2 systems have same cable connections but standard system which has 5.0" screen is different. When you change head unit you need to remove component protection and also bluetooth, navigation, voice command and full link do not work after retrofit. It needs to be avtivated.

Last edited:

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
As I thought to be honest. My dealer said my car just missed out on any possibility for full link activation and I never use voice controls. I know most of the head units I mention come with Bluetooth and some have built in navigation. But I do appreciate how seamless it all is at present just would of liked it a little flashier. Probably best looking at adding a tablet as a second screen somewhere.

dodds_turbo

OEM+ member
Sep 4, 2016
Edinburgh
Bluetooth, Nav, voice command, etc all have to be activated. Is this something achievable using VCDS?

How do you go about removing component protection?

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
Bluetooth, Nav, voice command, etc all have to be activated. Is this something achievable using VCDS?

How do you go about removing component protection?

No, it is not something achievable using VCDS. It is a complicated process which requires online connection to VW database. I can do it only if you send head unit to us (barcelona/spain) after removing component protection on your car.

I also offer remote component protection removal service if you have ODIS and VAS5054 diagnoistic inteface.

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
I have changed too many headunits. Replaced 5.0" screen with 6.5" and 8.0" screen multimedia system. MIB1 and MIB2 systems have same cable connections but standard system which has 5.0" screen is different. When you change head unit you need to remove component protection and also bluetooth, navigation, voice command and full link do not work after retrofit. It needs to be avtivated.

Hi, is it same for MY17 model? I heard from someone that only SEAT dealers can do, there are some configuration that needs to be changed apart from deactivation of component security.

I am planning to buy all parts to upgrade the head unit from 5.0 to 6.5 inches. I have VCDS and I can enable mirrorlink and code other configuration.

Has anyone upgraded headunit on 2017 model ?

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I looked into replacing the stock unit on my mk3 pre-facelift with my spare double din pioneer unit.

But as you can see from the pics, behind the monitor unit isn't enough room to install a double din unit.

c943d59be6e49043e2441c4ab244f3f7.jpg

7d191ada9988b1e05f61cb4054afd1e3.jpg

7e79d2a2d6b58e219bf348e870621685.jpg

I guess your only chance is too buy a single din unit, with a pop out screen. But, personally, I think they stick up too high and are ugly...

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
You can get some double din units which only have the electronics in the top section (so behind the screen it takes up the full space of a 1 din unit) these are full size fixed screens, not pop up.
I would've changed myself but they don't have the car settings menu

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Zedlor that would be my choice if I was going to change. £830 I think was the cheapest I saw and you have to deal with an extra cable for GPS and possibly DAB (forget if they mentioned this on the videos I watched) and a USB cable.

Such a shame the MIB2 units are soo expensive and a royal PIA to get working

Reactions: FRMike

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
Sony XAV-AX100 is a slim one. Should fit just right.

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
Zedlor that would be my choice if I was going to change. £830 I think was the cheapest I saw and you have to deal with an extra cable for GPS and possibly DAB (forget if they mentioned this on the videos I watched) and a USB cable.

Such a shame the MIB2 units are soo expensive and a royal PIA to get working
I suppose if you're buying one of these units you're just going to use Android Auto / CarPlay so won't necessarily be using the GPS and DAB cable, only the USB cable which you can feed through the glovebox.

But still £800 is a lot to cough up when you could just get a phone mount for £40 and use Android Auto on your phone screen.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
i have been speaking to some retrofit guys and the mib2 could be fitted for £250 but you need to supply your own parts
i am hoping i can find out how they hack the units so they bypass Cp and the svm settings.

Reactions: vikram soni

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
i have been speaking to some retrofit guys and the mib2 could be fitted for £250 but you need to supply your own parts
i am hoping i can find out how they hack the units so they bypass Cp and the svm settings.
I'm very much interested in what your find out.
Getting CP removed is cheap ~30€ here.

However, there are other parameters that needs to be adjusted for the new unit to work. There are guys who do it remotely for some fees, but they don't publish the solution for the community.

I guess it's activating different functionalities like MirrorLink, sound system etc using VCP. But apart from that, no details.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
I'm very much interested in what your find out.
Getting CP removed is cheap ~30€ here.

However, there are other parameters that needs to be adjusted for the new unit to work. There are guys who do it remotely for some fees, but they don't publish the solution for the community.

I guess it's activating different functionalities like MirrorLink, sound system etc using VCP. But apart from that, no details.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

if they did no one would need them :roflmao:shame as i have sourced the parts for a surprisingly small sum

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise