Head unit change.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
not much to go wrong really depending on what you have already in the car.

its all just coding most of it

Mine is the 5.8" MIB unit, 53 plate car bought in 2014. I guess the back of the main unit in the glovebox is the main tell? I switched out my old Stream to a Bolero in my Octavia. Lots of hours, a new can gateway and a great head unit for however many years. Think that cost £400 but my Dad bought it as a Christmas present as my wife was having none of it :(

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Have you got your unit back?

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk
end next week hopefully. few people have had this done though and it came back p&p as coding cloned from vcds adaptions

hopefully guy does not keep my unit :roflmao:

Last edited:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Mine is the 5.8" MIB unit, 53 plate car bought in 2014. I guess the back of the main unit in the glovebox is the main tell? I switched out my old Stream to a Bolero in my Octavia. Lots of hours, a new can gateway and a great head unit for however many years. Think that cost £400 but my Dad bought it as a Christmas present as my wife was having none of it :(
same as mine then i will let you know soon. 53 plate ? 2003 :roflmao: maybe a mfd1 is required.

Reactions: zeffania

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
so to update this i think i have found a solution to upgrade either harman or certain technisat units to mib1 cars. i will update the thread in the next couple of weeks as to the solution.
i think it will be very a reasonable cost to obtain mib2 for everyone with no errors showing on car firmware updateable and lifetime maps
now to find the bigger screen for me :drool:

Interested let me know you get on.

Reactions: damian SHAW

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
so to update this i think i have found a solution to upgrade either harman or certain technisat units to mib1 cars. i will update the thread in the next couple of weeks as to the solution.
i think it will be very a reasonable cost to obtain mib2 for everyone with no errors showing on car firmware updateable and lifetime maps
now to find the bigger screen for me :drool:
Interesting, is it the trick to deactivate the component protection by installing a hacked firmware. I also tried to find some resources on this, the hacked firmware update only works on older units. some hints are here and there on Vegas forums. Please let us know if you find something concrete.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Interesting, is it the trick to deactivate the component protection by installing a hacked firmware. I also tried to find some resources on this, the hacked firmware update only works on older units. some hints are here and there on Vegas forums. Please let us know if you find something concrete.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
i have been advised that they do nothing to the unit internally. CP is removed by the dealer then the unit is removed and sent away then everything is activated reinstall clone vcds settings from the old unit and job done in theory.
logically if CP has been removed and the mib2 is linked to the cluster in the car there is no reason why it should not work after being activated and placed back in.
i assume either there is some kind of bench setup to mimic it being inside a car with the relevant correct vin range or they are placing the unit inside another car and blocking cp to work via some can filter or something so everything can be activated on the unit again or they actually are hacking the unit via telnet or something and not telling me. They have assured the firmware can be updated later so it sounds like it is hacking of the system somehow or somewhere where firmware does not effect the change.

seems strange that specific hardware and firmware is specified if they are spoofing vw servers somehow as any unit technically could work in that case which seems to suggest they hack at least the vin number linked somehow on the device.

on reflection i am thinking i should have gone down the harman route as then no visit to the dealer is needed and i can sell the activated harman unit and screen on and place the old radio back in the car and no one would know any different. being a purist i tried to stick to a seat unit so went with the mib2std as the 020 seat units are very rare infact there is only one for sale. although any kinds can be used from the vag group as long as connections match up.

maybe all this is BS and someone just knows how to work ODIS and the fec / swap codes.
at the end of the day VW has just drawn a line in the sand and said you can have this and other one can`t.

to me sounds like a scam.

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
i have been advised that they do nothing to the unit internally. CP is removed by the dealer then the unit is removed and sent away then everything is activated reinstall clone vcds settings from the old unit and job done in theory.
logically if CP has been removed and the mib2 is linked to the cluster in the car there is no reason why it should not work after being activated and placed back in.
i assume either there is some kind of bench setup to mimic it being inside a car with the relevant correct vin range or they are placing the unit inside another car and blocking cp to work via some can filter or something so everything can be activated on the unit again or they actually are hacking the unit via telnet or something and not telling me. They have assured the firmware can be updated later so it sounds like it is hacking of the system somehow or somewhere where firmware does not effect the change.

seems strange that specific hardware and firmware is specified if they are spoofing vw servers somehow as any unit technically could work in that case which seems to suggest they hack at least the vin number linked somehow on the device.

on reflection i am thinking i should have gone down the harman route as then no visit to the dealer is needed and i can sell the activated harman unit and screen on and place the old radio back in the car and no one would know any different. being a purist i tried to stick to a seat unit so went with the mib2std as the 020 seat units are very rare infact there is only one for sale. although any kinds can be used from the vag group as long as connections match up.

maybe all this is BS and someone just knows how to work ODIS and the fec / swap codes.
at the end of the day VW has just drawn a line in the sand and said you can have this and other one can`t.

to me sounds like a scam.
How much can you get the hacked High unit (harman) for? I am leaning towards getting one, because its easy to install, no messing around with CP. And possibility to put digital cockpit later.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Last edited:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
so my activated mib2 unit will be sent soon with full factory functionality ensured with no errors in vcds to show up.
carplay cable turned up from china and my 2nd hand sd map card (i hope it works) ready for the overall.nds hack. so hopefully i will have a full system with full link activated end of the week.
minus what i can sell the old mib system for it should a be a very reasonable upgrade. considering seat wanted £100 for a map update for mib1 i think its worth it to replace the old unit.

Last edited:

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I asked VW retrofit at the weekend how much it would be to upgrade from MIB1 to MIB2 but they said they don't do it for Seat because the head unit is too difficult to find. :(

Jorre

Feb 21, 2017
so my activated mib2 unit will be sent soon with full factory functionality ensured with no errors in vcds to show up.
carplay cable turned up from china and my 2nd hand sd map card (i hope it works) ready for the overall.nds hack. so hopefully i will have a full system with full link activated end of the week.
minus what i can sell the old mib system for it should a be a very reasonable upgrade. considering seat wanted £100 for a map update for mib1 i thinks its worth it to replace the old unit.

Hi..do you have link for the carplay-cable? Thx!

Jul 31, 2017
I'm keeping an eye on this because I'd love to get a complete part list and where you sourced everything so I can do the same. Fingers crossed it all works when you put it back!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: zeffania

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I'm keeping an eye on this because I'd love to get a complete part list and where you sourced everything so I can do the same. Fingers crossed it all works when you put it back!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same and then I looked at my current account and decided I'd just dream

Reactions: zedlor

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
other than getting the seat sound coding sorted everything works.
sadly i only have android auto not mirror link to test if anyone know a way to setup some test device to test mirrorlink link do let me know as my p2 phone does not do mirrorlink.

now to find a decent priced 8" screen :clap:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
other than getting the seat sound coding sorted everything works.
sadly i only have android auto not mirror link to test if anyone know a way to setup some test device to test mirrorlink link do let me know as my p2 phone does not do mirrorlink.

now to find a decent priced 8" screen :clap:
There is one here, but if you want the surround/vents it's extra, when I made enquires he wanted £320 including postage. I managed to get one for £280 including vents etc being delivered tomorrow. Hoping it doesn't have CP. You can modify the existing surround with a Dremel but I don't think you will be able to fit your old screen back after, also think you will have to update your firmware/software to use the new screen. I've just updated mine in preparation. Shows all the new type menus etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
There is one here, but if you want the surround/vents it's extra, when I made enquires he wanted £320 including postage. I managed to get one for £280 including vents etc being delivered tomorrow. Hoping it doesn't have CP. You can modify the existing surround with a Dremel but I don't think you will be able to fit your old screen back after, also think you will have to update your firmware/software to use the new screen. I've just updated mine in preparation. Shows all the new type menus etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEON-FR-MK3-FACELIFT-SAT-NAV-INFONTAINE-SYSTEM-RADIO-2017-2018/183401197124?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
i can`t update the firmware as the unit is hacked there is no cp on the screens they are all the same resolution so i doubt firmware needs updating.

i have seen these screens less than 200

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-17-SE...059525?hash=item3fa9d21e85:g:HGgAAOSwE1Bbhm44

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...917402?hash=item33f3b2dc5a:g:XTgAAOSwgYlbj8WR

Reactions: damian SHAW
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.