Headlamp Bulb

DICKSY

Nov 25, 2004
I had my radiator replaced on my '03 LCR under warranty in January this year.

A couple of weeks later my offside front headlamp bulb (H7) blew (nothing unusual there I though-just a bulb expiring).

Since then I have had a further two H7 bulbs expire in the same headlight. The last one went last Friday and has exploded leaving fragments of glass inside the headlight.

The nearside front headlight has had no problems at all and I have no problems with any other electrics on the car.

Can a bulb be put in the wrong way or could the connector on the back of the bulb be put on the wrong way?

Anybody got any ideas what the problem could be?

:cry:

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
Sounds like the headlight is loose or something, and is shaking the bulb.

You are being careful not to touch the bulb glass with your fingers?

Simon.

DICKSY

Nov 25, 2004
Thanks for the reply Simon,

The headlight doesn't appear to be loose at all.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't need to, but do you think they'd need to touch the headlights when they change a radiator ?

Yes I've avoided touching any of the glass on the bulb as I know even a finger print could make a hotspot on the bulb and cause it to explode.

The last couple of bulbs have been unknown makes so I'm going to try a Bosch or Hella and see if it's just a run of bad bulbs.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
I was just wondering if they knocked it.

Have you got any condensation in the headlight?

Otherwise replacing the bulb with a quality brand is a good plan. Osram and Philips are the main two. Bosch and Hella rebadge other people's.

Simon.

DICKSY

Nov 25, 2004
I've checked the headlamp Simon and there's no sign of condensation in there at all.

I've stuck a Bosch H7 in there (my dad had got one) last night so will see how it goes (or should I say 'Glows') Fingers crossed!

Jonathan

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.