headlamp bulbs

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Hi,

Am i right in saying that an 08 Leon FR takes an H1 bulb for High/Full Beams and an H7 bulb for Low/Dipped Beams?

I have heard good things about the Philips X-Treme 80% bulbs, but i can only see them in H7 form.

Im not a great fan of blue lights (esp since any colour filter on the glass reduces light output), im just after brighter than standard.

I would want both the high and low beams to be the same type/make of bulb so i get similar brightness (probably not the same owing that one is 60W, the other 55W) and same color temperature.

Does anybody know if there is an H1 Philips X-Treme 80%?

If not, who makes a comparable bulb giving me good light on High and Low beams?

Thanks,
Stuart

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
Osram Nightbreaker are available in H1, they are almost white in colour.

Not sure if Philips Xtreme are in H1, try their site?!

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Not sure if Philips Xtreme are in H1, try their site?!

I had a look but i didnt see H1 or H7 mentioned, philips seam to have many sites for the same thing, but each is slighlty diffirent.

I have seen others talking about them in H1 but cant find them. It may be an older/discontinued product.

Googling about for a while, ive found, on a Merc forum, the suggestion to use Osram Nightbreakers you mention as the H1 and the Philips as the H7.

The Osrams do have a very slight blue tint but this shouldnt remove too much light, possibly even just the IR/near invisible red as its so slight a tint. However the Osrams being +90% probably have a better beam focus than the Philips so may be better by providing a greater light focus where you need it.

As for cost, the Philips H7 looks around £30 or less, the Osram H1 around £19 and Osram H7 is about £20. Im not doing Fog's as i never have them on.

Will probs go Philips + Osram. Ive got a Lux meter so i can do some measurements at my office which is in the country so gets quite dark at nights....

Stuart

Sl8er

HI,

I've just fitted the Osram nightbreakers to my FR TDI and they are fantastic.

You need 2 x H7 and 2 x H1 I think I paid around £37 for all 4 bulbs - def worth it though

Si

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Hi,

Thanks for the advise folks,

Just bought some from ebay, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Power-Bulbs-Direct

Thought about going all Osram but reading the review on AutoExpres made me think that i should just get the best bulb i can for each lamp that i can.

Got the H1 Osram pair for £10.80
And the H7 Philips pair for £19.94
+ £3.93 P&P for the bulbs.
Total=£34.67

Its really also only cost me £17 cos i had some money in my paypal account from some junk i offloaded a few weeks ago!

Seams ok to me

Stuart

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.