Headlight bulb replacement?

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
Just done a search, and it says theres a guide somewhere on here on how to do this. Anyone know where ? Must say looks an awkward job, manual says take it to a dealer, dont really wanna have to do this.Its the passenger side (battery right in front):confused: Any advice ?

IH786

Apr 8, 2004
Birmingham
Don't bother taking it to the dealer. All you have to do is unclip one of the metal clips on the rear of the headlight, and the cover comes off. Then you can see the bulb. :)

I just managed to squeeze my big hands between the batttery and the headlight! Its a bit fiddly though. If you can't manage, then take the battery off. It only takes a few minutes. The drivers side is much easier to change. It just a stupid design feature of the Ibiza.

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
Can you get at the bulb without taking both clips off? The left hand ones almost impossible, battery in the way. You should be able to replace a bulb without taking it to the dealer !

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Unclip the top cover off the battery. Then you can unclip the front plastic cover off the battery as well and slide it off upwards. This gives you a crucial extra half-inch or so of space, making it easier.

Yes, you do need to undo both of those clips to get the back cover off the headlight unit. There's no other way, but it is possible with a certain amount of persistence.

The alternative is to remove the front bumper then remove the headlight unit. Apparently this is quite straightforward, though I've not done it myself.

On a diesel, the driver's side headlight is equally tricky because the fuel filter is in the way.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Your best bet is getting some long nose pliers and gently moving the clips with them. I managed to replace mine with the battery in situ, but just don't try it in your lunch break in the car park at work as you'll get weird looks from people when you've scraped all the skin off your knuckles and have blood running down your hands. :p

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
I had a go at this today, eventually managed to get the bulb out,only to find its different from the replacement I bought the other day ! Also, managed to drop the right hand clip in beside battery, but the really fun bit was trying to refit the clip.Eventually got the light back together, whole thing took me over an hour but itll be easier next time.Another trip to stealer tomorrow, to get a refund and the right bulb this time.There must be different types,mine being a 2003 model there might be a difference ? Anyway,the jobs not as hard as i thought at first,managed it without taking anything else apart, it just requires a bit of deft fingerwork from both hands.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
What type of headlights does your car have? Dual reflector or single reflector? In other words, do you have separate bulbs for your full-beam lights?

Many Ibizas have single reflectors with just one pair of dual-filament bulbs that do both the dipped beam and full beam lights. But the higher spec ones have two separate reflectors each side: one for dipped beam and the other for full beam. Each of these reflectors therefore houses a single-filament bulb.

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
dmjw01 said:
What type of headlights does your car have? Dual reflector or single reflector? In other words, do you have separate bulbs for your full-beam lights?

Many Ibizas have single reflectors with just one pair of dual-filament bulbs that do both the dipped beam and full beam lights. But the higher spec ones have two separate reflectors each side: one for dipped beam and the other for full beam. Each of these reflectors therefore houses a single-filament bulb.
Seems to be one bulb with two filaments , with three electrical connectors. The bulb the dealer gave me is much smaller with only two connectors. Speaking to them again this morning, they maintain they gave me the right one, standard on all Ibizas since 2000 . Im confused now.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
deezal said:
Seems to be one bulb with two filaments , with three electrical connectors. The bulb the dealer gave me is much smaller with only two connectors. Speaking to them again this morning, they maintain they gave me the right one, standard on all Ibizas since 2000 . Im confused now.
It sounds like the one they gave you is the headlight bulb for the dual reflectors; in other words, that bulb only does the dipped beam. They're wrong about the bulbs being standard on all Ibizas - they are definitely different between high-spec and lower-spec models.

Have a look at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk and click on H4 - I think this is the one you need for your car. The Cupra and FR (and older Sport models - not sure about the current Sport though) require H7 (dipped) and H3 (full-beam).

I think they've sold you an H7. I'm 90% sure you need an H4.

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
I have some side light bulbs to replace :D

I had a quick go but soon found out it was not going to be a 10 min job :whistle:

Still in my boot waiting to be fitted :doh:

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
dmjw01 said:
It sounds like the one they gave you is the headlight bulb for the dual reflectors; in other words, that bulb only does the dipped beam. They're wrong about the bulbs being standard on all Ibizas - they are definitely different between high-spec and lower-spec models.

Have a look at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk and click on H4 - I think this is the one you need for your car. The Cupra and FR (and older Sport models - not sure about the current Sport though) require H7 (dipped) and H3 (full-beam).

I think they've sold you an H7. I'm 90% sure you need an H4.
I have the faulty bulb here in front of me, it says 60/55W H4 U on it and has two filaments and its the only bulb in the headlight,although my manual shows a picture of two separate bulbs dipped and mainbeam. Hope they have it in stock... what a lot of trouble just to replace a bulb!:(

Scoobster

Scooby THE Scoobster
I know I'm draggin up an old thread, but I didn't want to start another new one on the same subject...

My passenger side dipped beam bulb has blown.... Meaning it needs changing.

I have a mk3 Cupra (2001-Y). The side light works fine... The full-beam works fine... Just the dipped beam.

I therefore presume my car has the dual reflector setup and it is a different bulb to the full beam one?

I also therefore presume I need the H7 replacement bulb.

My key question is.... Is it best practice to replace the driver's side dipped beam bulb at the same time? No bulbs have been replaced since I bought the car in July 2001 (brand new). Will a replacement in the passenger side be significantly different in intensity?

I don't want to be blinding from one side and not the other... I like to cause equal blindness with my lights.

Additionally, can the bulbs be upgraded to Xenon H7 ones? http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16326&cat=256&page=1
Those are fully legal ones, but not sure if they are a direct swap for the H7 bulbs I presently have in the car. Does additional wiring need putting in?

Last edited:

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
I'm a newbie on here and have just stuck a post on the newbies page.

Have searched for headlight replacement as I have similar problems to above.

I've got an 03 Ibiza TDi Sport and I believe it's the twin reflector set-up, as there are, erm, two reflectors. Anyway, the passenger side dipped beam has gone, and it looks like a real git to replace.

I have just had a look in my lunchbreak and there seems to be not a lot of space between the back of the headlamp unit and the battery cover. I think I will try the suggestion of removing the battery cover first, but how much of the cover do I need to remove. If I take the plastic cover off the top of the battery, there is another cover with lots of (what look like) hard wired fuses. Does this need to come off as well to get the side cover off?
By the time I get home in the evenings it's well past dark and so I think this is going to be a weekend task.

Any tips would be gratefully received!
I really don't wanna take it to a dealer for this.

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
There not hard to do ! Just need a bit of initiative ;)

I did mine with no manual/help docs last night, albeit the single headlamp style, you just unclip the plastic back of the headlight, then unplug the black connector to the bulb, undo a clip, pull it out and replace!

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Cheers for the reply. It's not so much that it's difficult to do, just that access is well tight.
Did you change both sides? Passenger, or driver? The driver's side has plenty of access, but the passenger side is a different matter entirely!

Typical that it's the tricky one that has blown!

I think it's gonna have to wait uintil Saturday. I have just scraped all my knuckles up fiddling with the cover, but didn't want to take too much to bits for fear of not getting it back together and having to drive home from work with a dis-assembled headlamp! I think a pair of needle nose pliers will be a worthwhile purchase!

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
If I take the plastic cover off the top of the battery, there is another cover with lots of (what look like) hard wired fuses. Does this need to come off as well to get the side cover off?
No. Once you've taken off the top cover and exposed the fuses, you can then unclip the front panel and slide it upwards. You don't need to disturb the fuses themselves.

It doesn't give you a lot of extra space, but every little helps...

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Cheers for the guidance on the battery cover. I will be attempting this on Saturday, the morning after a work Xmas party!! I may be a bit worse for wear!

I'll update as to how it goes and maybe include some piccies if I think they will be useful for others.

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Cheers for the reply. It's not so much that it's difficult to do, just that access is well tight.
Did you change both sides? Passenger, or driver? The driver's side has plenty of access, but the passenger side is a different matter entirely!

Typical that it's the tricky one that has blown!

I think it's gonna have to wait uintil Saturday. I have just scraped all my knuckles up fiddling with the cover, but didn't want to take too much to bits for fear of not getting it back together and having to drive home from work with a dis-assembled headlamp! I think a pair of needle nose pliers will be a worthwhile purchase!

I changed both sides, main & sidelights. Passenger side is a bit tighter, there's probably more space in my bay due to it being a small engine though!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.