Headlights dip

mikeyg_uk

Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008
Brighton
Hi everyone

Just after your advice.

I have a 2005 Leon FR 19 TDI and have noticed when I start the engine from cold (usually in the morning) the headlights dip when I depress the accelerator or flick the switches for the window.

It started happening after the cars first service (2nd service in cars life and bought just under a year old). It only appears to happen for a few mins once it has warmed up a bit but I can still notice the lights flicker a little if I use the electric windows while drive in the dark.

I have checked the battery which seems to be giving out 14 plus volts, which seems ok. Any ideas?

The only reason I ask, is warrant is up this month, so want to get in their quickly is any good ideas do turn up..

Thanks

Mike

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Hi everyone

Just after your advice.

I have a 2005 Leon FR 19 TDI and have noticed when I start the engine from cold (usually in the morning) the headlights dip when I depress the accelerator or flick the switches for the window.

It started happening after the cars first service (2nd service in cars life and bought just under a year old). It only appears to happen for a few mins once it has warmed up a bit but I can still notice the lights flicker a little if I use the electric windows while drive in the dark.

I have checked the battery which seems to be giving out 14 plus volts, which seems ok. Any ideas?

The only reason I ask, is warrant is up this month, so want to get in their quickly is any good ideas do turn up..

Thanks

Mike

Check with the search button buddy. I would not worry about it, all Leons do it I think, mine does anyway. Theres alot of amps being drawn form the batt when the car is first started so the headlights dipping is just normal.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I've noticed it in most cars, the gf's corsa does it when at idle and you operate the windows etc.. the clocks dim a little and headlights slightly lower light output. Blip the throttle and it's fine. I assume it's because at idle your drawing current from the batt without it charging so windows usage, lights, cig socket power is all being used at once. When on the move or at higher revs the batt is being charged up and the current draw is not as noticable. I wouldn't worry about it unless it a major dip in lights or electrics is noticed.

mikeyg_uk

Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008
Brighton
Yeah just checking, like I say, I checked the battery and the voltage seems ok so im happy that alternator is charging the battery ok. just thought I would ask.

Cheers!

millsyscossie

Oct 29, 2006
Bonnie Scotland
I too have this problem

Same car and year 2005 05 plate Fr TDI

Only ever on cold start for first 1-2 minutes at the most

Blip teh throttle and dash lights and headlights if on dim quite a lot lol

I have checked my battery and the alternator for charging with the multimeter and all seems 100% fine

I was just looking incase theres summit else and stumbled accross this post lol

Im not the only one then, was also looking as my warrenty runs out at the start of next month and would take it back if i found a answer lol, Already been back with a failed wheel bearing and the fact Stevie Wonder MOT'd the car

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members