Heated wing mirror issue

BraddersThe3rd

Mar 11, 2011
Got an issue with the drivers side wing mirror, it never seems to clear, be it water, condensation, ice etc. but the Passengers side clears itself fine.

I've got the switch in the middle pointed to what i assume is the heated wing mirror sign.
So I'd assume that the unit has blown?

Few questions, how do i check to see if it is the heater unit? What would need replacing, the glass itself? if so... how do you get the glass out?

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
To be honest I think you do need the rear window heater on. Just this morning I did a 'trial and error' with mine. Nice and misty and no sign of it clearing with switch in the middle, then put the rear window on and hey presto cleared within seconds. Also tried this on my A3 TDi Quattro with the same results.

Dearnie

Aug 16, 2011
Humberside
Like spenny2004 say you don't need the rear window heater on, just turn the switch the middle and hey presto.

To get the glass out just use a flat plastic object place between glass at outer case of mirror and prise gently and the glass pops out. It's only held in by 4 metal clips in the centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twitterers

Jul 16, 2011
my driver side one is always slower. I remember changing a setting in vagcom where I reduced the amount of time the mirror heater stayed on for.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
You do need the rear screen heater on with the facelift cars, also on the facelift cars there is a timer and it's only set for about 15 seconds from the factory. Vag-Com is needed to increase this.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Are you all sure about this, mine works ok with it just in middle and why would they have the switch if it didn't work without the rears on? But on my old one I had the drivers fixed twice under warranty, guess they fook up pretty easily

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
on newer cars you have to have the switch in the central position and then switch on the rear window demister this will then clear the mirrors too
Think about it logically if you had the switch in the middle and didn't need the rear window demist switched on your mirrors would be permanently on heat :)

seems pointless to me though the windows and mirrors should just be connected together whoever had to demist one but not the other

BraddersThe3rd

Mar 11, 2011
Sorry should have said I have a K1, so pre-fl. But to add tot his debate i always have the rear heater on as i leave my car running for 5-10mins before i set off.

Thanks for the link, not sure i like that dotted line for the blind spot, don't think my mirror have it at the moment.

But it sounds like a nice easy job to replace the heated glass. Cheers guys

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I don't think it's 15 seconds more than likely 15 minutes

Mine was set to 15 seconds. 100% sure on that. 255 seconds is the max time setting (4 and a bit mins) It's a HEX thing.

Also, on the facelift cars the mirrors only work when the outside temp is below 20 degrees c.

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
on newer cars you have to have the switch in the central position and then switch on the rear window demister this will then clear the mirrors too
Think about it logically if you had the switch in the middle and didn't need the rear window demist switched on your mirrors would be permanently on heat :)

Exactly, the pre facelift cars are like this (permanantly on heat when the knob is in the middle). This is probably why so many heaters burn out.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
That's strange as mine is a pre FL and they only work with the window heater switch on.

My old PD170 prefacelift one used to cook the mirrors if the knob was left in the middle. Even after a 2hr drive in the sunshine. No rear screen button needed. Loads of people had the hump about it because the knob needed to be left or right to stop them cooking.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.