Heater blower + blown 25A fuses..

Evening guys,

I think i may have a problem, that MAY have started after i was a bit "Liberal" with some lubricant (Stop sniggering at the back).

On Sunday i removed the heater blower as I needed to lubricate the axel as it's been squealing. All I had to hand was a can of spray grease which i use to lubricate hinges and suchlike, so I thought if it stops a hinge from squeaking then it should be ok to use.

The motor was inverted and a "liberal" amount of grease was sprayed in controlled bursts onto the axel both at the top near the impeller and at the very base through a hole in the housing.

After leaving the motor for an hour whilst I did a couple of other things it was re-fitted, tested and the glovebox was put back. All appeared to work ok and the fan in conjunction with the aircon has been used for about two hours a day since then with out fault. That was until on the way back from work this afternoon when the fuse (25A) gave up the ghost. The fuse was replaced with another, but this only lasted about 30 minutes before blowing. And the same happened with a third.[:@]

Observations
(1) - The resistor pack was rusty. This must have happened after I experienced the joys of a fooked pollen filter cover.
(2) - The white spray grease I used was bought from Halfrauds a couple of years ago, and it doesn't say that it's not suitable for electrics.
(3) - We did have a fair amount of rain this afternoon, and the pollen filter housing doesn't appear to have let any water in.
(4) - I did spray some grease onto the resister pack, but wiped most of it off.
(5) - After the fuse has been replaced the blower works on all four settings, but if you go from 1 to 4 it blows.

Ok lets cut to the chase, have I fooked up. Should I replace the resistor pack or strip the blower motor, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Gents, what should I do.......:confused:

Fruit And VAG

Degudodger said:
Evening guys,

I think i may have a problem, that MAY have started after i was a bit "Liberal" with some lubricant (Stop sniggering at the back).

On Sunday i removed the heater blower as I needed to lubricate the axel as it's been squealing. All I had to hand was a can of spray grease which i use to lubricate hinges and suchlike, so I thought if it stops a hinge from squeaking then it should be ok to use.

The motor was inverted and a "liberal" amount of grease was sprayed in controlled bursts onto the axel both at the top near the impeller and at the very base through a hole in the housing.

After leaving the motor for an hour whilst I did a couple of other things it was re-fitted, tested and the glovebox was put back. All appeared to work ok and the fan in conjunction with the aircon has been used for about two hours a day since then with out fault. That was until on the way back from work this afternoon when the fuse (25A) gave up the ghost. The fuse was replaced with another, but this only lasted about 30 minutes before blowing. And the same happened with a third.[:@]

Observations
(1) - The resistor pack was rusty. This must have happened after I experienced the joys of a fooked pollen filter cover.
(2) - The white spray grease I used was bought from Halfrauds a couple of years ago, and it doesn't say that it's not suitable for electrics.
(3) - We did have a fair amount of rain this afternoon, and the pollen filter housing doesn't appear to have let any water in.
(4) - I did spray some grease onto the resister pack, but wiped most of it off.
(5) - After the fuse has been replaced the blower works on all four settings, but if you go from 1 to 4 it blows.

Ok lets cut to the chase, have I fooked up. Should I replace the resistor pack or strip the blower motor, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Gents, what should I do.......:confused:

Hmmm....why do I have the feeling you bought Halford's silicone grease spray? I think that would be a little conductive... problem with silicone is it will create a thin film layer you cannot rub off until it deteriates with age. You may just be inviting enough electrical conductivity when playing with high current switches that things start to blow, but otherwise it doesn't sound like you were way off base.

One thing to check would be your grounding (to chassis) wiring. It may be you didn't hook something back up quite right and when you put the blower on full there is less resistance than normal and the power is routed to ground, upping the overall current draw and blowing your fuse. I would check you wired everything back up correctly.

Get some spares 25A fuses and watch your battery needle when the blower goes to 4. If it flinches noticably you probably have a short to ground.

F.A.V, just checked the can before heading out to work this morning, and yes your correct it's Halfrauds silicone grease spray. :cry: . Everything is connected correctly and there is no sign of water ingress.

What is my best course of action, should I get a new resistor pack (1J0819022A) at almost £50, or is there a way I can dissolve the Silicone.

I hate electric’s...................

Fruit And VAG

I think Screwfix or maybe Maplins sell something to clean areas of silicone grease. Give them a call. I would still check the wiring though. I find it hard to believe a thin layer of silicon will permit enough current to blow a 25A fuse. 25A is serious current as in lethal!!!

Don't forget to disconnect your battery before cleaning the area.

I first had a run in with silcone grease on some large electric motors... some of the spray blew adrift into the windings and soon after, they gave off some smoke and never worked again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruit And VAG

What copper windings? Near your fuses? *gulp*

Oh... I just re-read original post about spraying axle of blower motor... maybe!! That spray stuff gets everywhere. If it has gone somewhere it shouldn't in that motor then it will need replacing soon enough.

I think the problem has been resolved. I removed the resistor pack yesterday afternoon and noticed that the hard outer casing around the four resistors had cracked in serval places, so i can only assume that as there was a break in the insulation it was arcing.

I paid a vist to my local Skoda stealership who just so happened to have a resistor pack in stock, and i ended up paying slightly less than Seat quoted me.

10 minute fix and it seems to be back to normal :clap:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise