Heater blowers not working? Climatronic system

ChrisBoom

Aug 8, 2008
Highlands
My cupra has been off the road over the winter, had it stored in a garage since October.

Starting to get it ready to come back on the road, and have noticed the heater blowers are not working.

Everything else works on the panel, can hear the flaps behind the dash adjusting etc, just the fans won't come on. Have checked the fuse in the engine bay and its fine.

Any suggestions?

ChrisBoom

Aug 8, 2008
Highlands
Checked the plug from the resistor back to the motor, no power. (This one circled)

7.jpg

Am I missing any fuses? There's a metal fuse, and a 30A fuse on top of the battery. Also a white 30A fuse in the fusebox (No. 36). These are all OK. Also pulled the climatronic unit fuse, no difference.

Last edited:
May 21, 2009
I believe there is a fuse on the resistor pack not sure though

Mine turned out to be the heater blower and got it replaced last week

ChrisBoom

Aug 8, 2008
Highlands
Ill put 12v onto it tomorrow, see if the motor is OK. Would imagine its fine though as there's no power going to it currently. Looks like an utter nightmare to remove the resistor pack!

May 21, 2009
Was a nightmare for me one minute I had heat and everything worked then parked up to go shopping got back and climate display was just flashing and it was bloody cold

ChrisBoom

Aug 8, 2008
Highlands
Well I put 12v onto the motor, nothing :(

Lee, did you replace it yourself or get a garage to do it? I seriously cannot be ****ed taking the whole dash out.

May 21, 2009
Good luck mate, mines been fine since although my alternator packed up yesterday :( going in for a new one tomorrow

CordobaGeo

Nov 20, 2015
Well I put 12v onto the motor, nothing :(

Lee, did you replace it yourself or get a garage to do it? I seriously cannot be ****ed taking the whole dash out.

ChrisBoom I have been having a similar problem. When I start my car the blower always work but if I turn off the engine n times for a few minutes after driving for some time when I start it again the n time fresh air blower is not working. n = 1,2,3...
Similar to what lee_fr200 had

Like you I checked the plug that goes to the blower and it didn't had any current. Which made me think that it was not the blower. So I got a second hand resistor pack and a clima display (a mechanic suggested it was the clima unit which failed). So I changed them and you know how hard is to change the resistor (thyristor to be accurate) but the problem remained. Also I had checked a ground cable which is behind the gear box, but this was also OK.
Then I read on your post that you had also checked the plug that goes to the blower and there was no current and that your blower was dead! Unfortunately I was not that lucky to have a dead blower. When there is an intermittent error it is always harder to fix!

I intend to make a cable that will connect the cigarette lighter to the blower, so next time the blower stops working, remove the plug from the blower and power the blower from the cigarette lighter. If the blower doesn’t work I would have finally found the faulty part after months of searching!
Can you please verify if changing the blower fixed the problem?

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, I've done some work for you!

That poster's "last activity" was something like 12/09/2013 - so I'd doubt if he is still an active member, so maybe you should have looked at the other threads that he referenced and you would have discovered that he did say that replacing the motor resolved his issues.

CordobaGeo

Nov 20, 2015
Lee and Rum4Mo thank you for your replies.
This thread had given me a push to do some further testing which might be useful for others as well.
To make sure that my blower had a problem as it hadn't stopped working completely I made a cable which would connect the cigarette lighter to the blower. This way when it stopped working again I could unplug the plug that goes to the blower and provide power with this cable from the cigarette lighter.

Yesterday the blower stopped working again. So I provided power directly from the lighter to the blower. The blower WORKED! I checked with a multimeter if there was power at the plug that goes to the blower and there wasn’t.
Initially I was suspecting that the resistor/thyristor pack was responsible for the problem so I had replaced it, unfortunately the problem remained but I had now a second resistor pack which turned out to be very useful as the one on the car has been placed in a spot that it is hard to access.
So I remove the plug that goes to the resistor pack. This plug has six pins but only five cables – three that come from the climatronic and two for the power ( ground and positive)
So I used normal cables to connect the pins from that plug to the second resistor pack that I had! Not all the pins though ONLY those that come from the clima.
On the two pins which are for the power I connected the cables from the cigarette lighter.
I turned the ignition key and blower was WORKING!! and I could control it’s speed from the clima controls like normal!

I check with a mutlimeter the pins on the resistor plug which brings power and I got NO readings! That was my Eureka moment! The problem is in one of these cables…

I switch the multimeter to continuity put the one probe on the ground pin of the resistor pack plug and the other probe on a metal part and it turned out OK!

At that point I had to stop because I had to catch an appointment. So I connected the resistor plug to the resistor on the car. When I turned on the engine switch the blower started working again which makes me thinking that I need to check the ground cable again.

What I intended to do next time the blower stops working is
1. Unplug the plug that goes to the resistor pack
2 check the continuity with a mutlimeter AGAIN between the ground cable and a metal part of the car
3 check the voltage with a mutlimeter between the positive cable of the plug and a metal part of the car.
4 check the voltage between the ground cable and the positive cable of the resistor plug.
If I get power I need to repeat the procedure next time the blower stops working. If not then from steps 3 and 4 I could tell which cable is responsible for problem and take it from there.

I will keep you posted when I have futher results.

Hopefully when I track down the source of the problem other people could check on that directly and won’t have to follow what I did.

P.S. There is one thing that troubles me though... Chris boom had checked the cables that go to the blower and there was no power.
When he provided power to the blower the blower was dead and when he replaced it worked OK.
So I am wondering if the car is checking on the motor and if it gets high resistance it cuts down the power otherwise why wasn't there any power on the cable that goes to the blower???

Last edited:

CordobaGeo

Nov 20, 2015
It's had been a while since I hadn't made any progress and the reason was that the problem hadn't appeared again since yesterday.

So I unplug the plug which goes to the resistor plug and did the checks I described on my previous posts. It turned out that the ground cable was OK but the positive cable (read-black color) was not delivering any current. This cable is connected to the fuse No 36. Next time the problem strikes again I will remove the fuse and check with a multimeter if any current is being delivered on the left connector of the fuse. The right connector is the one which goes to the blower. This way I will know if the problem is between the fuse and the blower or before the fuse box. ( For cars driven in the UK left / right might be revered )

I will post again when I have something further.

Is there a wiring diagram for the fuse box? It would be very helpful if I could see how the cables which bring the current in the fuse box are connected to it. I am thinking that maybe some connection might be rusted or is not touching well and that's what it is creating the problem.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.