Heater box issue, common fault...?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
A knocking noise has become apparent in the past few weeks, emanating from below the glove box.

On inspection it appears to be caused by the recirculating flap/door on the heater box. It occurs when first gear is engaged or the recirculating button is pressed. The flap/door appears to catch (causing the knocking noise) while the motor is operating, finally it seats itself and the noise ceases.

I'm guessing if my car is suffering this then others have/are too. Does anyone know what the actual cause of the fault is and perhaps a remedy for it?

12 plate 1.2 TDi Ecomotive.

no1_scoot

Dec 6, 2018
Hi did you get this fixed? I had mine done under warranty. Its the air recirculation flap. it gets stuck and its the noise of the motor grinding its teeth on the flap trying to open/close.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The knocking is actually the servo, ie flap motor "hunting" back and forwards as its positional feedback wiper and/or the contact ring is dirty, a very common VW Group car problem - the motor gets requested to move to a new position but when it moves its positional feedback does not match the voltage value expected, so it keeps moving about trying to sort that out.

Oct 17, 2019
Hi I recently brought a new seat. I have a tapping noise in the glove carpartment area. I happens when I turn on engine and when reversing. I have read its proberly the air recerculation. I have spoken to the garage to look at fixing however they seem to think it's going to cost hundreds is this rightplease

no1_scoot

Dec 6, 2018
I had mine fixed under warranty, unfortunately they didn't say how to fix it. They didn't order new parts I think they just reset the system although they did have it most of the day. The noise is the air circulation flap getting stuck an yes it's quite loud. Iv had my ibiza since new and fingers crossed its still OK after 2 years. Hope that helps

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise