Heater Climate Control Flaps Stuck

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Hi All, looking for some advice!

Recently I've had countless problems with my car's cooling system on my 2014 Seat Leon. I had no heat at all coming out of the vents, I had the whole system flushed and topped up by my local Seat dealer, and a new header tank fitted.

This didn't fix my lack of heat issue inside the car, so I had the heater matrix replaced at a cost of £450 :cry:

I now only get heat from the passenger side of the car and Seat have said they think it is one of the flaps which controls air flow is stuck on cold on the driver's side of the car. They said without removing the dash and replacing the heater control unit (at a cost of over £1000) they can't diagnose the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated, is there a way I can get to the heater control unit myself or see if the flap is jammed? I have VCDS, will this tell me the position of the flaps or any information?

Thanks in advance! If I can't get it fixed I'm going to have to get rid of the car, not spending £2000 just for warm air!

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, did you try to run in [HVAC 08] Basic Settings >>>Group 001 or Group 000 Potentiometer & Flap Alignment.

Also, check Measuring Blocks for the Left and Right Temperature Flap Motors see how they look or try to run output tests.

There shut be a fault code stored if any of the above fails.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Hi,

I checked the measuring blocks but wasn’t sure what values were the temperature flap for left and right sides. Although two values matched and said 27 does this sound correct?

Ran output tests but again wasn’t sure what I was looking for. Can hear the flaps moving just don’t know if they are both moving, and don’t know how to reset them.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
My car has done this twice, passenger side only being jammed - my 'fix' was to switch Auto off and set the temperature to Hi then Lo then repeat several times. After a few repeats the problem resolved itself. I think I also set Recirc On/Off/On too, but couldn't say if that made a difference.
I thought it was just something sticking and was only highlighted to me by my very cold passenger!

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
My car has done this twice, passenger side only being jammed - my 'fix' was to switch Auto off and set the temperature to Hi then Lo then repeat several times. After a few repeats the problem resolved itself. I think I also set Recirc On/Off/On too, but couldn't say if that made a difference.
I thought it was just something sticking and was only highlighted to me by my very cold passenger!

My car doesn't have climate control, however the dealer said the control box is the same.

I tried this and I then get hot air from both sides for about 5 minutes, then it's back to normal.

I just can't bring myself to spend over £1000 just for hot air!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My car doesn't have climate control, however the dealer said the control box is the same.

I tried this and I then get hot air from both sides for about 5 minutes, then it's back to normal.

I just can't bring myself to spend over £1000 just for hot air!

The control motors are not daft money second hand but I'm not sure how far in to the dash you would need to go for replacement

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...346591&hash=item41d907d5c5:g:cMMAAOSwmSdaYLkO

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
The control motors are not daft money second hand but I'm not sure how far in to the dash you would need to go for replacement

*link*

Thanks for linking me to the part! However:

When Seat plugged in their computer it showed feedback from the motor meaning the actual motor was working properly. They think it’s either come apart from the flaps or the flap is jammed.

The only thing they said I can do is replace the control box with the flaps in, at a cost of £400 for that plus the labour of removing the entire dashboard!

Such a frustrating problem to have, something so simple but hard to get to!

jamie_

Dec 22, 2010
Cumbria
Thanks for linking me to the part! However:

When Seat plugged in their computer it showed feedback from the motor meaning the actual motor was working properly. They think it’s either come apart from the flaps or the flap is jammed.

The only thing they said I can do is replace the control box with the flaps in, at a cost of £400 for that plus the labour of removing the entire dashboard!

Such a frustrating problem to have, something so simple but hard to get to!

Hi did you ever get this sorted? Having similar issues at the moment.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Hi did you ever get this sorted? Having similar issues at the moment.
Afraid not, in fact I part exchanged the car for a newer one as this and the other issues I had with that car were bothering me so much!

Without taking it to a Seat dealer and have them remove the dash and replace the control box I don’t think there’s much else you can do.

May be able to remove the dash and fit it yourself?

jamie_

Dec 22, 2010
Cumbria
Afraid not, in fact I part exchanged the car for a newer one as this and the other issues I had with that car were bothering me so much!

Without taking it to a Seat dealer and have them remove the dash and replace the control box I don’t think there’s much else you can do.

May be able to remove the dash and fit it yourself?

Hi thanks for the speedy reply! I’m just going to have to do some investigation and try and sort it myself.

Reactions: ryzzey
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.