Heater Control stuck on hot.

Tammis

The other day I switched on the heater control as it was a little chilly, but I now have continually scorching hot air coming through the vents. I've tried putting the control to hot and back to cold a few times but nothing changes. This happened before but used to sort itself after engine was switched off or the heater vent selection was changed.
Any ideas?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
at a guess it's a mk3 ibiza ??

if it is they have a nasty habit of the heater flap control motor jamming and packing up

with your ignition off reset it sounds like it but has eventually gone POP :( sorry

NS lower dash on the side of the heater box with a red arm on it i think it was may be worth a manual manipulation ????

Tammis

It's a 97 mk2 Gti/cuprasport 8v.

Thanks for the info, I might have a look at the heater box when I get a moment. It's bound to be similar?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ill have a dig round mine then - think its cable

take the surround off round the controls (clipped on) be gentle

4 screws from memory hold heater control panel in

wiggle it out to enable viewing of the rear and check if the cable moves when you turn the heater knob :p

if all ok follow cable back from there

probably the wheel broken or unclipped

Tammis

Managed a look the other night, and its just the arm connected to the control wire doesn't fully return to position after being opened to hot. Followed the wire and gave it a prod. Everything seems fine and cool for the moment, but will have a proper look during the holidays.

Next problem is figuring out why so much heat from engine escapes into car through steering column area, unless its normal? Just seems a bit excessive to me.

cheers again.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Next problem is figuring out why so much heat from engine escapes into car through steering column area, unless its normal? Just seems a bit excessive to me.

cheers again.

theres a gaiter/sock around the bottom of the column thats right by the downpipe

they seem to just pop out but are a b@5t4rd to get back in

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.