Heater fan - Mind of its own???

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
I fully understand that when in Auto mode the Climate control unit will alter the inputs of heat and fan speed to achieve the output shown on the display. Therfore the fan speeds will vary automatically.

But, when on manual mode I keep setting the heater to high with a low fan speed.(so the air-con pump is not running). Why does the fan speed keep going up automatically? Its annoying as I keep having to bring it back down to 1-2 bars. Is this normal?

mc

Jan 15, 2006
Birmingham
Mine does this too.
I guess it might be trying to keep the same quantity of air flowing through the system, it seems to change dependant on car speed?

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
they are strange beings
even if its freezing outside, if i set to HI and press auto, it still turns the snowflake symbol on-no matter what temp

its always on manual mine, but i know you what you mean, i too seem to forever be faffing with the fan level

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
RikH wrote

even if its freezing outside, if i set to HI and press auto, it still turns the snowflake symbol on-no matter what temp

It does this to dry the air - cooling drops the moisture out - then heats it up again to the demanded temperature. That's how it demists the screen so quickly.

storeyd wrote

But, when on manual mode I keep setting the heater to high with a low fan speed.(so the air-con pump is not running). Why does the fan speed keep going up automatically? Its annoying as I keep having to bring it back down to 1-2 bars. Is this normal?

1) The simple way to stop the compressor coming on is to press the snowflake button, which turns it off! Well, deselects it and removes the cooling/drying function from the aircon - in normal service the compressor is turning on and off all the time anyway (like a fridge does). Just setting the system on high will not stop the compressor coming on.

2) The system probably can't get the temperature up to what you've set, so it's increasing the fan speed as a last resort. This is just a guess, though.

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
1) I knew this. Thanks anyway

2) So are you saying there is no 'Manual mode'. Imagine a car without air con. Set the heating to high and fan speed low. It will continue to do this regardless of the temperature. Thats because the cabin temperature is not monitored.
I would have thought that in the Leon system, in manual mode, setting the output temperature of the air from the system has no bearing at all of the cabin temperature. Therfore is would not matter if it was 40C or 0C in the car, the system is not aware because there is no feedback from the thermistor as in automatic mode.

So why does the fan speed alter in manual mode? Anyone?

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
BELIEVE ME, IT'S BECAUSE IT'S POSSESSED !!!!

You are right, the WORST bit though is when you are driving and maybe its slightly cold outside so you think i will press the button for the windscreen upper blower. You just know whats going to happen next, i may aswell pull over and get both hands ready to do multiple presses to get it to come on just lightly. Scenario, cold outside i know lets have the upper blower, press the button the fans ramp right up to maximum , the blower comes on and so does the full aircon system and i have to fight with both hands to get the dam thing back down to normal. I have to psyche myself up to press that button. :D

Serendipity

My Leon fan has a mind of its own as well, and I have seen in another post that a lot of mk4 ibizas have the same problem.

Mine started doing it about 6 months ago. Took it to the dealer and they installed a new climatronic unit. Worked well for a few hours but now is doing it again. Seat mechanics are puzzled but it for what I see it seems to be quite a common problem.

The problem lies in the flap that controls the outside air intake, it just doesn't stop quiet and hence the fan keeps going up and down to compensate for the movement of that flap. If you press the "recirculation" button it stops, because the outside air intake is completely closed.

If you turn the climatronic on without turning on the engine you will easily hear the flap moving constanly. Has anyone had this problem solved? I mean solved permanently and not for a few hours like I did...

danb

Feb 26, 2006
Cambs
You are right, the WORST bit though is when you are driving and maybe its slightly cold outside so you think i will press the button for the windscreen upper blower. You just know whats going to happen next, i may aswell pull over and get both hands ready to do multiple presses to get it to come on just lightly. Scenario, cold outside i know lets have the upper blower, press the button the fans ramp right up to maximum , the blower comes on and so does the full aircon system and i have to fight with both hands to get the dam thing back down to normal. I have to psyche myself up to press that button. :D

:lol: very funny, I always think the same when I press that button:happy:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise