Heater matrix control issues

sickpupppy

lmao@ my typo'd user name
Jul 8, 2009
carlisle, the frozen north
Hi guys. I was posting in another thread regarding this however I thought I would start a new one as it wasn't directly related to the origional thread.

I recently had overheating issues which are now solved with the replacement of my thermostat and the housing it locates into.
However I still have an issue getting heat from the heater matrix.
Both pipes leading to and from the matrix are hot in use and I have flushed the unit with a hosepipe which went well.
When I turn the temp dial in the cabin it feels like something is happening and the airflow changes from outside air to the matrix however there is still no heat comming through at all.
The heater worked fine with no problems untill the thermostat packed in around three weeks ago. I am sure there is no air in the system and as I said the temp dial seems to be working.
Any ideas guys?
Where is the control flap for the matrix located? How do I check it?

Thanks for everything
Dan

ibiza-carl

Hi mate don't know if you have solved your issue but i may be able to help.
first as the heater matrix is higher than your water res when pulling off a water pipe you can create a air lock. best way to cure this is to

first take your cap off the water res( were you top up water)
second take one of the pipes that run to your matrix at the bulk head off and pour water directly thru it
then put it back on.
third run the car till it gets to running temp(fan kicks in)
forth turn off car top up water put cap back on res.
you may need to top up the res as you do this also open your heaters fully on full heat and check for warm air.
this worked for me when i worked for vw.
also if this dose not cure the problem do not drive your car hard as you may blow your heater matrix, but I'm sure it will fix the prob.
if you need any more help ill be more than happy (e.g pic,s)

sickpupppy

Jul 8, 2009
Cheers carl. I'll get onto that as soon as it stops raining.

Although I would have thought the water from the rest of the system would flood out when I remove the heater pipe?
I'll try and get the missus to plug it with her thumb or something lol

thanks again

ibiza-carl

yes it will mate. haven't try'd this for along time just telling you from what i can remember. as long as you get water into the matrix just top up the res before starting hopefully this should cure your problem

ibiza-carl

also pointing the car up hill or jacking the front end up stops water escaping from the matrix and allows air to travel to the highest point creating an even flow. for some reason air likes to stay in the matrix can some times be a real pain in the back side

sickpupppy

Jul 8, 2009
Tried again with no sucess.
I decided to try and seek help from the main stealer and met a very helpfull engineer named craig who diagnosed a faulty pump.
He has offered to fit a replacement and to do cam belt at same time for £100 all in!!!!!
Needless to say I have gained his phone number and shall arange the work on pay day!!

Seemingly I have a plastic pump impeller which is seperating from the main shaft when the engine temp raises, leaving air in the matrix with no pressure to force it out.

Cheers again for your help Carl.

ibiza-carl

ah i see never heard of that before but if that's what he says then hes the man for the job.lol.
you can but try!! haven't spanner'd for some years so pump never crossed my mind.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members